1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

OT: Hendon

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by blackcatsteve, May 24, 2012.

1. blackcatsteve

blackcatsteve Well-Known Member

This is not a foregone conclusion by any means, 5% yes 95% no in most probability, but we may be moving to Hendon in the future, Those that know me on here, know I have never ever lived in Sunderland, my dad has but that was 40 + years ago, so no good asking him, I would just like to know what its like and what better place than asking here.

Peel St/St Vincent Street in particular as thats where the houses are we have seen.

Looking at google maps, it looks like Mowbray Park is right on the doorstep, so it looks like it could be kid friendly, the streets dont look too busy, but that is hard to tell from google streetview, Park lane Metro station looks close, and the SOL is just over the bridge <rofl> Wife isnt that pleased about that bit mind.

So just some pointers would be nice, it may be all for naught, but i would hate to move and find out on here its a bloody dive and the worse place in Sunderland we could have moved to (and please no mags saying all of Sunderland is the worse place I could move to).

cheers.

2. J๏E..

J๏E.. The King of Hearts

Your lass will find it a bit different from Guisbourough..

Good luck on the move though <ok>

3. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Hendon is no longer a bad place, although like everywhere it's patchy.

My mum was born and raised in Hendon, as were many of my good, good pals.

You will find a strong sense of community in general, although some of the surrounding streets around Peel Street are split into bedsits, and there's quite an Asian community there (not saying it's a problem before I get the racist card hoyed at me).

Mowbray is a nice park, and you have a 2-minute walk into the City Centre, 15 mins to the SOL.

You'll find a lot more good than bad down there for sure, proper Mackems as well.

4. ...And Out Come the Wolve

Not leafy Ashbrooke?

5. J๏E..

J๏E.. The King of Hearts

Nice one S, he will appreciate that <ok>

6. billofengland

billofengland Well-Known Member

Buy a big dog, get an alarm, off road parking is very poor, walking to town, easy. Not the greatest place to live, I wouldnt live there myself. Used to be good pubs, crap now, although The Alexandria has some good aspects, other than that, Tap And Spiel. your choice of location , shall we say is not the best.

7. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

This is pretty close to my opinion...It is by no means the worst area of Sunderland these days, but it is far from the most desirable also..

8. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Tap & Spile now closed.

I lived at St Vincent St (26) when a was a nipper. Still like the place, sentiment probably, but like MrRAW says far from the most desirable now.

Think the Hendon TWOCs are now defun ct so thats good news.

9. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I was seeing a lass from St Vincent Street for a while in my youth.

Massive cannons.

10. billofengland

billofengland Well-Known Member

Lying bastard, St Vincent Street , had no cannons, muggers yeah, cannons nah.

11. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Ha the street had nee cannons, the lady surely did mate, gargantuan ;)

12. giggitygiggity_blackcat

The Tap & Spile's closed - awww man!!

13. Redan_White

Redan_White Member

Just out of interest do they still hold the Regatta in Hendon?

14. blackcatsteve

So basically dont move there, unless its a last resort.

I just want to get the hell out of Teeside, its not as bad as people make out on here, especially not Guisborough, where I live, just getting sick I suppose and need a change of scenery.

Ah well back to the drawing board I suppose.

Cheers.

15. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Roker, Seaburn, Fullwell Grindon, South Hylyon, The Herrington's, Barnes, Ryhope, Silksworth, Moorside, Hall Farm and Doxford Park would be all canny places to move to.

16. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

You should have more chances for jobs if you decided to move....

This would bring in an income, which maybe would then allow you to look elsewhere.

17. Hieronymus

Hieronymus Member

Steve, don't let them get you down lad! If this proposed move is a way to help you find the job you want then go for it. I don't know the area at all to be fair but I am sure that like most places it will have good bits and those that aren't so good. As you say from Streetview those streets you mention seem okay with no cars on bricks and all the houses looking tidy and cared for! I believe you have a young family to think about so to help you decide on locations, have a look at schools inspection reports to find out which are the 'best' local schools, and then perhaps focus on those areas. Best of luck to you, whatever you decide to do anyway.

18. blackcatsteve

Yeah i wont take this as the be all and end all, but its good to get some networking going and get to speak to those that know the area, Google Street View it looks very nice, and they are 5 bedroom houses as well.

Problem is my Wifes family are all here on teeside, All my family are in Blyth (which I do not really want to move back to if i can help it) but anywhere in between Blyth/Teeside I am willing to look at, but its the chicken or the egg syndrome, Job then Move, Move then job.

ah well head down, apply for a degree at the OU, 6 years though, gulp and just try to get something, its bloody demorolising though.

19. Hieronymus

Hieronymus Member

Well it is commendable that you are at least making the effort and not sitting around waiting for things to come to you. OU degrees are indeed hard work, but I found it very enjoyable and could fit it round work and family. Did you know Sunderland University (and Northumbria) also do part time and distance learning degrees? http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/ug/part-timeanddistancelearning/ Also part time students are now eligible for student loans and grants for tuition etc., so they don't have to pay up front: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/DG_201800

Hope this helps and I will keep my fingers crossed that things work out for you. Keep us informed about your progress.

20. Cest Advocaat

Cest Advocaat Well-Known Member

Ashbrooke is a lovely part of Sunderland. I'd live there like, or down Seaburn, if Chester le Street wasn't such a heaven on earth. :cool: