1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Osman has got it Spot On!!

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by johnnywarksmoustache, Oct 24, 2017.

1. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

yorkiegit likes this.
  2. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I agree that lack of passion is one part of the problem,but the other is the lack of any sort of cohesive plan to actually go out and win games,and that is down to McCarthy.

Spanish and itfcptc like this.
  3. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Good article and I agree with some of Osman's points. However, the idea that 'passion' can solely win you football games is a load of rubbish, in my opinion. Maybe that was a massive factor a few decades ago, where the financial disparity between clubs was a lot narrower and where players were often brought through the academy and were earning far less money to what today's players make. Nowadays, belief in the team and a desire to play well in front of the supporters is all well and good, and certainly contributing factors to success. However, it's teams with a clear playing ideology, an innovative way of thinking from the coaching staff, and a budget to match / making the most out of resources that leads to success these days.

If we overlook the fact that we are an underfunded club, which we undoubtedly are compared to most the clubs in this division, the harsh reality is that we have a squad of players who are not playing any clear football style. Players seem unsure how to unlock the tougher defences in this division and seem unorganised in defence, and for me that is why we have lost seven out of nine recent games. Even in McCarthy's play off season, when the football was occasionally dull, we still had a gameplan of long, direct football with a physical presence that won games and worked for us.

I've seen five games this season and I cannot fault the effort in most of those games. This is a team that clearly has the desire to get stuck in and seem intent to run around and show a degree of passion for the shirt. For me, it's less about this team showing a lack of passion, and more to do with the fact we have a technically limited squad that is coached to play a vague and directionless style of football, managed by an outdated, tactically inflexible manager. This is further exacerbated by a sense of apathy around the club, which is reflected by ten years of financial mismanagement, cautious austerity, and a clear lack of desire from Marcus Evans, the man who owns the club and has reversed our proud tradition of passionate, ambitious club owners who regularly attended games and had an evident love of the game.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  4. Bigalreigned

Great post,Nuggets.

San Diego likes this.
  5. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Well said Nuggets

I've been vocal about it for a while and I think the root of the problem is ME.

Marcus out!

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM likes this.
  6. Bigalreigned

Whilst I'm far from impressed with how ME has (mis)managed the Club I think we should be careful what we wish for as far as he is concerned. I have been worried for some time that he has the Club by the short and curlies and if he gets bored or p***d off he could pull the plug and we really would be up poo creek without a paddle.

itfcptc likes this.
  7. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

As nuggets said in his excellent post we are and have been underfunded for years, we have a team of average Championship players with only one capable of playing at a higher level ( Bart ) and I'm sure he will.
    Wolves spent £28M on two players in the summer and our friends up the road £16M on three players whilst we have spent £3M in five years with over £20M coming in from sales, we will always be on a par with other poor relations Clubs but when we face sides with quality we will struggle re Sunday, there won't be much in it but usually we lose and this won't change while the playing staff budget is starved of cash.
    I don't care who the manager is they come and go but for as long as we have an owner whose personal wealth has increased by a reported £500M since his takeover of ITFC investing a bare minimum in the Club we are going nowhere.
    Mr Evans forget about business etc and please sell our Club to a new owner who wants to take forward, you have proved year after year to have no interest in doing so yourself so think of the fans who have been supporting our Club for many years and will continue to do so in spite of your efforts to alienate us through season ticket increases and the raising of the age for concession qualification, I was one of the misguided fools who went to the debacle at Rotherham last season and my ticket cost me £13, so please fund the team with a realistic budget or get out of our Club before there's no season ticket holders left.

8. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Pity it took some so long to realise how poor MM really is, still think he was the wrong appointment, yes he kept us up but i think most semi decent managers would have managed that.
    I just hope for a younger, more forward thinking manager and someone who is not afraid to scout further afield!

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  9. johnnywarksmoustache

<applause> Great Post Fieldmarshall

Any manager who comes in will always struggle given the cash restraints and total lack of ambition shown by Evans. If this club is to move forward we desperately need a new owner who is willing to compete with the top guns in this league. Only £3million spent in the last 5 years is a disgrace when you think that we have gained millions more in transfer fees. As FM points out, Evans is not short of a few bob but is unwilling to get his wallet out. Please Mr Evans just sling your hook as you are obviously not interested in ITFC or its supporters.

10. johnnywarksmoustache

The next game at Burton is a season defining game IMO. After Sunday's no show I am really torn now about whether I want us to win or lose! Anything that helps to get rid of McCarthy sooner rather than later is fine by me!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    fieldmarshall likes this.

11. johnnywarksmoustache

12. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

if he didn't go after the Lincoln debacle he is hardly likely to leave after a close defeat to Burton <whistle>

itfcptc and Bigalreigned like this.
  13. Nuggets

I don't think McCarthy is a bad manager, I just don't think he is the right fit for the club anymore and we need to explore an alternative style of football.

His first three years at the club were successful and I think he was the right appointment. Not just for keeping us up, but for stabilising the club, overhauling the playing squad of the mercenaries, giving us the nearest chance of promotion for a decade, and for providing young players with opportunities to become first team regulars. I won't be looking back at Mick's time at the club thinking he was a failure, he clearly wasn't. Last season was poor, but that thankfully looks to be as bad as it gets under Mick.

We just need to take that next step and to introduce a better, more attacking style of football that will get supporters back. A younger, more innovative manager is desired and needed at the club. My main concern is that Evans will replace McCarthy with a similar, like-minded manager (someone like Owen Coyle or Gary Megson) who have promotion experience, but will simply maintain the current cycle and arguably do a worse job than McCarthy. We need a clear break from this thinking.

Scowey and itfcptc like this.
  14. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Nash for manager!

15. Nuggets

Too soon for Nash, I feel. Jumping from a reserve team to the Championship is a massive step. One for the future though.

I would rather a young manager from the lower leagues who has built an impressive CV and get their teams playing attacking, attractive football. If it was up to me, I'd interview Darrell Clarke and assistant manager Marcus Stewart (Bristol Rovers), Gareth Ainsworth (Wycombe Wanderers), Derek McInnes (Aberdeen), Maurice Steijn (VV Venlo), Nathan Jones (Luton Town), and Paul Hurst (Shrewsbury).

16. johnnywarksmoustache

Should have gone for Rowett when we had the chance! <ok>

Nuggets likes this.
  17. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

I have said this since we sacked Magilton.. I reckon Paul Tisdale would be a very good fit here. Always gets his Exeter side playing technical, attacking football with absolutely no budget and is used to selling his bets players on an annual basis, but is always able to rebuild a competitive side.

That said, it's all academic really as Mick is no closer to getting the sack than I am banging Michelle Keegan and Mick will get the rest of the season at the very least, and possibly a contract extension before we even get to that stage.
    ME sacked Roy after something like 14 games without a win and bottom of the league.. Same again with Jewell. Sitting 11th in the league after a dozen or so games is not going to have any affect on Evans and things will have to be absolutely catastrophic before Evans considers cutting Mick's time short

18. johnnywarksmoustache

I already have and believe me she's nothing special! <laugh>

Southcoastoldgaffer and Scowey like this.
  19. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Reuser for the job....with Taricco no2

20. Bigalreigned

Aah,and she was so complimentary about you!

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.