1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Orange card sin bin?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Obi Wan, Jan 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

What are your thoughts on the new sin bin proposals?

Fifa presidential candidate Jerome Champagne has suggested introducing orange cards that would allow referees to send players to a sin-bin.

The Frenchman, 55, launched his bid to succeed Sepp Blatter as the world governing body's president on Monday.

He also wants to punish teams when players question officials and hopes football will consider using more technology for key decisions. Fifa's presidential election will be held in Zurich in June 2015.

His other proposals include:
    > Quotas for foreign players
    > Implementing rugby's rule where only the captain can talk to the referee
    > free-kicks advanced 10 yards for any dissent
    > Abolishing the 'triple punishment' rule where a player who prevents a goalscoring opportunity in the penalty areas concedes a spot-kick, is sent off and also suspended

His rumoured** future proposals to make the game more exciting for viewers may even include:
    > making the 'ball' oval shaped
    > allowing all players to handle the ball
    > 15 a-side matches
    > each 'goal' worth 5 points, with a possible penalty bonus after you score

** According to Hacky Sack News (HSN) sources

2. Heed

Heed well known cheat

First thoughts on it are that it wouldn't work, but is that what they said about the 'back pass rule' and look how that changed football for the good.
    For me it would depend on what a 'sin bin' offence would be, how long in the bin etc.
    How would it work, could it be manipulated.

That 10 yard rule was tried once before and failed miserably.

Not so sure on the oval ball suggestion.
    Shola and Obertan struggle with the round ball, so what chance with an oval one.
    Five points per goal may help the likes of Sunderland as long as other teams goals still count as one.

3. Keith Fit

Keith Fit Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter one sh1t what his "proposals" are, if Blatter wants to stay in charge, he'll stay in charge. All the fcking corruption in this pi$$y organisation just means that Sepp gets all the votes.

I'm not sure there's anyone in football who better represents all of its' problems than Sepp fckign Blatter.

Besides which the ideas from Champagne are just pathetic. Better refereeing and less bureaucracy, a real "fit & proper owners test", use of technology and salary caps are all the game needs.

4. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Phil Brown, with his orange face, would never be out of the sin bin..

5. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Nowt wrong with the current rules. The only thing I really agree with is the abolishment of the triple punishment rule and quotas for foreign players

6. TheJudeanPeoplesFront

TheJudeanPeoplesFront Well-Known Member

Why can't we just use the imaginary cards that Cronaldo uses?

Seriously though, I think it would work better if the punishment for going into the sinbin wasn't simply a man advantage for the opposition... It should be that your team has to play with Wes Brown in it until the return of the offending player, and in "his position" of centre-back . I feel this is a more harsh deterrent than being a man light <ok>

7. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

It will have some players spitting mad...

8. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

Both strike me as misguided.

We've gone over the quota thing before. As for triple punishment, if you foul in the box it's a penalty.

If you are the last defender and deny a clear goal scoring opportunity outside the box it's a dismissal and a suspension. Can't see any reason why denial of a clear goal scoring opportunity in the box shouldn't attract the same sanctions as outside the box, plus a penalty.

Which would you ditch ? The sending off ? The suspension ? The penalty ?

Makes no sense.

9. Obi Wan

They'll get confused though. If the ref holds an orange card up to their faces, they'll think it's just a mirror adn carry on playing.

10. Obi Wan

Maybe ditch the sending off and replace with a kick in the knackers to slow them down instead?

11. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

As you say we've been over the quota thing loads of times, we just see it completely differently.

I'd do away with the sending off and suspension. To be honest though my thinking on this doesn't line up wit this gus or really fit with football in general. I don't mind when players make a genuine attempt to win the ball and don't get it right. Whether that is inside or outside the box. If a keeper rushes out and the attacker is too quick and nicks it away, give the pen. Why send him off and suspend him? It has never made any sense to me and never will. Its an aspect of the game which has changed for the worse in my opinion.

Fair enough if someone blatantly hand balls it to prevent it going in, blatantly trips someone when in on goal or a goalie blatantly grabs an ankle as an attacker rounds him. We're too afraid of our own shadows and actually using the refs judgement to decide if something is genuine or deliberate. The game is just card happy now and numerous games are just ruined by sendings off. For that I blame the micro analysis by the media. Refs used to be allowed to use their common sense. So what if they got it wrong now and again?

The game has moved to a one size fits all situation with officiating and its just another aspect of game which we try to remove human judgement/interpretation.

12. Agent Bruce

Agent Bruce Well-Known Member

And who would be the person that gets to give the kick in the knackers and what would his salary be?

13. Agent Bruce

Agent Bruce Well-Known Member

Once again, the voice of common sense.

14. Tasty Magpie

Tasty Magpie Well-Known Member

An orange card sin-bin? The way the refs cower when officiating against teams like Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea etc... The 'big' teams would never see a red card given against them again.

15. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

16. Obi Wan

17. Mod Face

Mod Face Well-Known Member

The sin bin is an interesting concept but if it's for dissent as well as bad tackles, wouldn't that mean if there was a Chelsea-esque situation with the entire team surrounding the ref you'd be left with just a few players on the pitch for a period of the game? I think it'd be too difficult to work fairly.

Quotas for foreign players, for sure! As much as it'd screw us, long term it'd do wonders for our youth. The Stevenage (I think) manager recently mooted the idea of a fourth substitute, whereby if you had already used up all three subs you could still bring on a young player. That seems like an excellent idea!

I think the sin bin should be replaced with a 'Tiote tent' because lets be honest, he'd spend 90% of a match in there.

18. NoNewsNUFC

NoNewsNUFC Active Member

Punishing players for questioning the ref is a pathetic idea. Why should decisions not be questioned when there are probably 2-3 questionable decisions in every game, and usually AT LEAST one outrageous referee/linesman decision every weekend?

There is a difference between questioning an official and abusing an official. Officials are subject to human error like anyone, which is why they actually make errors. Fellow humans should have the right to question their decisions, especially when they're blatantly wrong.

19. ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter

ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter Well-Known Member

We've had the ten yard rule before and, as pointed out it was a failure. The reason given? That most of the players didn't come from rugby playing countries and they couldn't understand the law.

I still find that excuse to be pathetic. If the players (or most of them) can understand the rudiments of the offside law then they can understand this: free kick -- get away from the ball fast. It's not hard.

As for not confronting referees or talking to them; there should be no problem with players TALKING to the referee provided that they were restrained and respectful. There used to be a law in the game concering ungentlemanly conduct and this should be applied, via bookings, to those who confront the referee or argue. Which makes this simulation law redundant; as diving to gain an advantage is also ungentlemanly in conduct.

We don't need new laws. We need the laws which we have applied.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.