1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Open letter to Evans

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Bigalreigned, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

fieldmarshall and Nuggets like this.
  2. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Pretty much bang on the money. Sadly, I doubt it'll get read by our owner.

3. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

It's getting to the point where I can hardly bring myself to make comment anymore. It's all been said over and over for a long time now.

What a sad ****in' state of affairs.

It will ultimately be four years wasted by the time he goes because we will be in a similar position as when he took over. There's been no real improvement in the team although the academy is in better shape now. Trouble is all that investment is being wasted by Mick not using the lads as much as he should.
    I'm not surprised Tommy Oar wanted to get out of the club. He was probably being told to play in a way that he didn't want to and had the balls to say stuff this and got away quickly.

Thanks for some good (distant) memories Mick but the last two years or so have been terrible so time for you to go.

4. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

As you say SD its hard to say anything that hasn't been said many times on this board, surely we cant be the only ones who could see this coming months ago? Its a sad state of affairs that our Club has been run into the ground with dreadful stewardship and tactical incompetence.

5. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

A quick question. In the letter and from limited posts I've read on here, it suggests that you are getting restless and turning on Mick McCarty. But how much stick is Evans getting? It strikes me as an outsider that he has at times invested (under Keane and Jewel) but has generally been bad for your lot. In particular now he seems completely reticent to put any further money in.
    If you ever venture forth on to the Norwich board you'll have noticed allot of recent abuse aimed at our owners because of growing disquiet about Alex Neil and poor investment in the last few transfer windows. There was even talk of some protests, though they failed to materialise.
    My question is how far away from protests against the owner are you? He strikes me as far worse than Delia or even Chase who was hounded out at City. How much longer will you put up with a slow suffocating death by McCarthy and no investment in the squad?
    I realise with the sheer debt Evans has foisted on the club, investment or buyers maybe hard to come by, but can you see any way to brighter times under Evans?
    Or am I completely misjudging the relationship you have with Evans and that your all happy with him?

Bah!

6. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

I can't speak for anyone else, but my feeling is that we are "stuck" with Evans for the foreseeable future.
    On paper, he seems the ideal owner to have at this club - a Suffolk man through and through, a very shrewd businessman, and with a fortune in excess of £800m.
    Unfortunately he got his fingers burnt on two occasions with Keane and Jewell, and he seems reluctant to go down the same route by throwing money at mercenaries.
    If he really wants the club to progress and get promoted, then unfortunately for him, he will have to take a further gamble and splash the cash again. We will NEVER get promoted under the current structure of getting journeymen freebies and loan signings (whilst selling our prized assets and not replacing)
    Since McCarthy joined us, we've sold around £20m worth of players, and none of that has been re-invested into other player signings (other than freebies and the one 500k signing this season)
    I think all Ipswich supporters want, is for Evans to finally loosen the purse strings again, and sign some quality players. Yes, they will cost a few million, but it's not as if we can't afford them.
    I truly believe that not a lot of supporters want Evans to sell and leave, as he can be the ideal owner - we just want him to invest in quality players for a change.
    As for your question regarding protests, I don't think that will happen - it's not the Ipswich thing to do, we are for too polite for that.
    McCarthy on the other hand has to go. He's taken us as far as he can, and we need someone to come in and freshen us up a bit.
    If we end up in the bottom half, then I genuinely think he will go - whether he walks, or is pushed is another matter.

7. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

The debt is not an issue. It's just a figure on a piece of paper that Marcus bought for a small fraction. Theoretically he could sell us and not need to recoup the whole figure as he didn't spend that much on it in the first place. He could quite easily wipe it clean and not be out of pocket to a large sum of money.

The lack of investment is a problem if we are trying to stay in the championship or move higher up. There are plenty of teams with parachute payments and the amount of money being spent in our league almost feels like the kind of yearly outlay that the premier league had just a few years ago. You have to spend a pretty penny just to tread water.

Biggest problem for the fans right now is the football. High ticket prices and low entertainment are not a good mix.
    First move is a new manager. Money or not there's no excuse to play crap football.

I'd get behind Mick again if many things changed. I'm not too bothered who the manager is so long as they're doing good work. I want every one of them to be a success and if Mick can change things then all well and good. I don't expect it to but I'd be happy if it did.

8. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

I think Evans pays his Managers extremely well so that they are more than happy to absorb and deflect any blame or negativity aimed at Evans.....

I can understand Evans not wanting to spank 10Million on a Championship player in his prime......but surely spending a few million on a player that in a year or two could demand double that is good business I know it wouldn't work out every time but it will never happen if you don't roll the dice.

EvansOut MickOut TicketOut TwistNShOut RoustabOut

9. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Cheers for the responses, sounds like Evans is not entirely unpopular but Mick has reached his use by date. It's always been that way for managers like him, as long as your winning the footy is bearable, start losing and who wants to watch it!

Bah!

10. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Anyone heard the rumours that fans could start covering the 'Marcus Evans' on their shirts in protest?

11. fieldmarshall

I hadn't heard weighty but it's a bloody good idea, any takers?

12. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

seen it on twitter

13. Bigalreigned

The expression p/££/^g in the wind comes to mind,the guy obviously doesn't give a toss what we mere fans think.

14. fieldmarshall

You're right there BA, apparently Derby and Budgies are interested in Lawrence but we've already said he's out of our reach, I've no idea what the figures are but I would have thought the millions accrued from the sale of Cresswell, Mings, and Murphy should cover it. Same old bollocks everyone else strengthens while we go backwards with players nobody else wants to add to our ageing squad.
    We've been " linked " with several players already but as usual nobody signs and other Clubs step in and secure the player we are after, for God's sake Evans get out of our Club, show some respect to ITFC and sell up to people who have drive and ambition and want to take this Club forward instead of this decline into apathy and plummeting gates.

15. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Good posts FM! Say it as it is on the box....lid!

16. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

I suppose it shows support for the club but not the owner...

17. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

It's a bloody start at least.
    It's time we sold that shirt space to bring in revenue from an outside source anyway

18. Bigalreigned

Agree with you SD it's mystifying why that source of income isn't maximised,although any extra money would no doubt disappear into the same black hole as transfer fees received,so we still wouldn't see any benefit.

19. fieldmarshall

It's probably because advertising expenditure can be set against tax..... Here we go again!