1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

OP/Ed on US Dirt Racing

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by PNkt, Jun 4, 2023.

1. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

SwanHills and Bustino74 like this.
  2. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Two deaths per day on US tracks sounds initially shocking compared to the UK but they do have significantly more races each day in the US. Today for example there are 28 races in the UK and 58 in the US.

The UK is currently at 87 deaths on racetracks this year or about 0.55 deaths per calendar day. In 2022 the most deadly racecourses in the UK included 3 of the "all weather" / synthetic tracks in Southwell, Lingfield and Newcastle although all 3 do, of course, have turf courses and NH fixtures.

upload_2023-6-6_11-51-43.png

Courtesy of https://www.horsedeathwatch.com/

There will certainly be no racehorses dying in SIngapore after 2024 - the Singapore Turf club has announced the country's only racecourse at Kranji is to close.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-65817602

3. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

What sad news for Singapore race fans. How I used to love the old Bukit Timah racetrack when I lived and worked in the city state donkey's years ago. Noticed one picture showing one of the car park areas, and by the look and make of the vehicles it is quite possible I was there on that particular day. I kid you not! Bukit Timah was eventually sold for housing development just like its successor, Kranji. Never been to Kranji, but I really don't think Singapore race fans took to it like dear old Bukit Timah. It was a wonderful track, with a natural setting like Sandown Park in the UK, the difference being it was left-handed and a flatter course. Don't think I ever enjoyed horseracing as much as I did during the Bukit Timah time.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
    Bustino74 and OddDog like this.
  4. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

A bit of positive news from US dirt racing as Jena Antonucci becomes the first female to train the winner of a Triple Crown race as Arcangelo took the Belmont Stakes <applause>

SwanHills and PNkt like this.
  5. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member