1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

On the Road next Season

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Buckyohare, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

im now looking forward to next season with about 8 away games I can reasonably expect to get to given my location in Kent and location of friends I can stay with (Gillingham, Southend, Charlton (if they don't go up), coventry, Burton, Wycombe (bit out the way but I was born there and are my 2nd team-never thought I'd see us play them in the league..., ) Bristol rovers.

im actually looking forward to it. ME has to back PL at this modest level of league football to some extent or his club will be worth even less andwe'll just be another coventry. PL will leave for a better job and we'll be really ****ed. I don't see why the club should owe ME anymore by way of debt when its entirely his fault we've been relegated and the club has not moved forward in the last 6 years other than year on year, slowly declining. sorry, im getting drawn into my bitterness about the past and not my hopes for the future...

so as well as games we could all make, a short summary of hopes for next season would be interesting.

I hope Lankester shines and comes good. I hope sears comes back fit and firing-avoids paying for yet another new striker given we'll need to buy at least one after selling all our good ones last year. I hope Bish, judge and dozzell form an unplayable midfield. I hope Collins stays. I hope our wantaways in bart and Knudsen just **** off, I'm sick of hoping they'll play well and then just don't. 'But I went to a World Cup dontcha know'. **** off. I hope we get a new good goalie from somewhere. I hope the academy is used to bring players into the team. I hope PL is supported even if we don't get off to a flyer. we won't do better than him because were a L1 club with crap players and crap owner. he's th one bright spot about us right now imho.

who expects to be on the road this season then and where can you get to? And what are you top hopes for us? apart from roaring to the championship unbeaten playing smoking hot football...

2. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

I am also (weirdly) looking forward to some of the travels next season.. The likes of Blackpool, Fleetwood and Southend away would be great in August or May to make a good weekend of it in the sunshine (though will probably be Tuesday nights in December & January now I've said it)

I have mates that support Coventry, Wycombe & Mansfield and living in the midlands they are ones that I will be looking out for when the fixtures are released.

As for the season I really don't know as I tipped Folami to have an impact this season but injuries have really set him (and Morris) back and not really sure they are the answer so hopefully a hairy arsed pro in the likes of Daryl Murphy can be brought in along with a defender who can concentrate for 90+ minutes. If we can get those, plus some competition for both full back positions and another option out wide then I think we'll do OK..

By which I mean in and around the top 6 all season.. I don't think we'll storm the league (nor do we have any god given right to do so) but a club of our size should have ambition to come straight back up and therefore challenging for promotion is a minimum

3. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Colchester United and Southend United, if either are in League One next season, will be local-ish games to get to for me (as someone who lives in Suffolk). A friend has Lincoln City as his second team from a few years ago (before our FA Cup draw), so I promised him we’d try and get to that away match. If MK Dons go up, that’s another achievable away game to get to, and I would like to see their stadium, which has a bigger capacity than ours! Might also get to see Mansfield and Peterborough away matches, if they are both in League One, as I’ve got uni friends in both those towns and they would like to see Portman Road. So as somebody who’s only been to a few away games involving Ipswich, next season could be a good opportunity to go to some grounds in the local and not-so-local areas.

As for next season – I think the squad needs serious investment and some astute transfer business to be with a credible shout for promotion. I don’t think the young players are as good as some make out and I have been disappointed with almost all the senior players at the club this season, particularly the likes of Chambers, Skuse, and Bart, who have been dependable first teamers for years and now look completely out of their depth. However, the drop down a division should ensure that some of the potential first teamers next season should play consistently better and grow in confidence – players like Bart, Kenlock, Chambers, Downes, Dozzell, Nolan, Edwards, Jackson, and Harrison (depending on who stays). I think top six should be the target and if we can play the type of attacking, entertaining football that we’ve seen brief glimpses of under Lambert this season, then we may finally get our wish of attractive, attacking football, which gets results, that we haven’t had since the days of Royle and arguably early Jim!

fieldmarshall likes this.
  4. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

I've been to Accrington, Scunthorpe, Doncaster, Southend, Blackpool, Coventry, and Peterborough, and Donny have a lovely stadium, Coventry ok but soulless, bad memories of Peterborough because we lost 7 1, Scunny I always thought reminded me of watching football sitting in your garden shed with the door open.
    No offence to the other teams in the division but I think our lads will appreciate what they have at PR.

5. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

They won't be playing at the Ricoh.. Yet another contractual issue and the owners are willing to continue their legal action against Wasps and the local council at the expense of the club having somewhere to play next season.

The current options for them are the Coventry Rugby Club (Butts Park) Which has a capacity of 4,000 or they play their home games at St. Andrews in Birmingham.

If they don't submit a home ground to the EFL soon they could even be thrown out of the Football league, but I think that is pretty unlikely

6. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Christ Scowey and we thought we were having a bad time.

7. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

I think Evans is using them as a template for us <whistle>

fieldmarshall likes this.
  8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

We are lucky that there’s still plenty of room for expansion around the ground. I’m surprised it’s not all been developed on by now. These soulless out of town stadia are just not the same.

What is disgusting is all the development around Wembley. There are so many new tower blocks you can barely see the stadium anymore.

9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Spare a thought for the Bolton fans - players threatening to justifiably refuse to play their remaining fixtures. Town may finish 23rd after all. Is there a modern precedent for clubs failing to fulfil their fixtures? If it's only this weekend's fixture that would likely be played in the days after the season finish, but if the players continue to strike what happens to Bolton?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019