1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours United's ever on going rebuild , are we nearly there yet?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Chief, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

By most accounts, we're still negotiating for Sancho.

Great if we get him (it's not my money), not massively bothered if we don't.

If we don't though, we still need a right footed right side player and it might just be make or break time for Dan James. He's young enough to learn to play off the right side, if he can't then it just means he's been shown to be not as promising as first thought. He's got the pace and the right foot, needs to improve his distribution and game plan massively. And his shooting.

We do need a centre half. One who can play. We need a Rio to Maguire's Vidic, a Pallisiter to Maguire's Bruce.

I've even cast an eye over to John Stones as an option tbh!!

cytrax likes this.
  2. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

There are still 18 days until the window closes. Woodward is on the case - probably the wrong one, but he's on the case.

Diego likes this.
  3. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I wouldn't say I'm worried by any means, but have noticed that both Spurs and Liverpool have both made finished article signings today on the cheap.

We didn't need Alcantara by any means (assuming Pogba turns up, which we can't really can we?) but Liverpool have themselves a top drawer player there.

As do Spurs in Bale.

Not especially worried by the signings Chelsea and Arsenal have made that everyone is fapping themselves off about.

Although maybe Willian for the right side would have been useful for us? He'll just make Arsenal slightly above average though.

4. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

"The difference in the way Chelsea have done their business compared to say my team Man United…there is no noise, there’s nothing going on, all you’re seeing is bang, deal.”

“Little bit of talk, bang deal. That is what’s frustrating for me and all Man Utd fans.”

The ex-Reds’ defender is alluding to the fact that Chelsea have spent around £200m this summer on the likes of Timo Werner, Kai Havertz, Ben Chilwell and Hakim Ziyech with no sagas and minimal fuss.

Ed Woodward on the other hand has reportedly spent the whole summer chasing a deal for Borussia Dortmund winger, Jadon Sancho, but currently looks further away from completing the deal than ever before.
    ------------------
    We really are proving to be amateurs. The way we approach every transfer window. This has been going on for 7 years ffs.

Woodward needs to be sacked. A DoF needs to be hired. I just don't think other clubs hold any respect for us in the transfer market. And they won't do while that mongrel remains in charge of our transfers

Christiansmith likes this.
  5. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I don't recall much noise prior to van der Beek signing to be fair.

6. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

We are linked to every player in Europe in order to raise the price,
    Do you remember weeks of links before Bruno? weeks before Donny?
    The fact is we have been getting the actual signings done with very little fanfare over the last 3 windows, not Gill quiet but still better than the 6 years previous.

7. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Except that's not the point. It's the protracted sagas around the ones we don't sign that is the bigger concern and appears to consume every transfer window.

I think we can all thank Van Der Sar for Beek being a simple transfer no one else.

8. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Do you believe they are all real?

9. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Not all but it's fairly obvious the ones which are. And it only takes one each window to highlight exactly what Rio is getting at.

Sancho, De Ligt, even Fernandes the summer before. These take up complete transfer windows. Woodward fcking around endlessly because he's put all his stale eggs in one basket. We should have a number of targets and the numbers being signed should reflect that.

10. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Fair enough.
    Fergie once said that when he identified areas he wanted to strengthen he would give Gill a list of 3 players in each position and say i need one each off this list, Gill never let him down.

Treble likes this.

11. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Massive difference between Gill and Woody mate. One's a footballing man and an astute businessman. The other is a slimey rat **** who's like a monkey with a mirror.

Diego likes this.
  12. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Twat always reminds me of Gove for some reason, not sure if it's the physical resemblance (which there is) or, as you say, the slimy rat bit :grin:

Treble likes this.
  13. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I actually think that's an insult to Gove <laugh> and he's the bloke that single-handedly fcked up my profession 6 years ago. That should put into context just how little I think of Woody in all this!

cytrax and Diego like this.
  14. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this very point just few weeks ago. It would be a great shrewd business if we could get someone like Stones who isn’t getting enough game time to shine but has history of being a great player. He’s only 25 or 26, I think. That’s when defenders start maturing into their game.

15. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

The reason is pure and simple. Chelsea just asks for the price and pays it without any haggling. They recognise the competitive nature of the business. Whereas the GGs and their lackey Woodward try to save a few million here and there by haggling to the last pound. That is why all our transfers are headline news for weeks and only go through at the last hour if not minutes.If we read that City or Chelsea are interested in a player it is almost a done deal. Remember Maguire and Fernandez? Last minute haggling. If Sancho is as good as they say and if we are that desperate then we ****ing have to pay the asking price. It's like someone desperately wanting to buy your desirable house. They either pay what you ask or they can ****ing piss off.

Conversely when the seller is desperate to get rid they can sell them at a bargain. Look at Bale and in our case Beckham. Beckham was given almost free. I remember saying at the time that selling him to Real Madrid for 25 million was criminal as he was worth at least 50million + at the time. They laughed all the way to the bank as the first year marketing revenue alone from him surpassed the purchase price.

16. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

We are overly simplifying the situation.

When Manchester United goes in for a player, clubs hike their asking price. The same is not true for any other club.

Couples of factors:
    1. We always appear to be more desperate when we go in for certain players. This reduces our bargaining leverage.
    2. Historically, clubs know that we pay huge transfer fee and they want their piece of the pie.

In the last two years, the club has spent over £240m pounds on players. That is not exactly cheap money by any standard.

Our problem right now is that I do not believe Ole is the right man to lead these set of players. He has done an amazing job implementing the right path forward, but he doesn’t have the match to match management to get the best out of the talents that we have. He recently said the team will need five games to get going. We’ll, by then we would already be 10 points from the top. Great!!

Yes, we will hit green patches here and there, but we will never have enough consistency for the long haul to challenge the likes of Liverpool and Manchester City.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  17. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

To be fair, I think £240 pounds is cheap!!

Part of the problem is our requirements are played out by the media and everyone gets win of it so "United are desperate for a centre half" and " United are desperate for a centre forward" becomes common knowledge and the selling club ramps the price up.

If the squads had been built correctly, like they were under Alex Ferguson pre Glazers, then the squads could just be refreshed when the manager wanted to, and we wouldn't actual be desperate for anything.

Instead (and I have repeated this hundreds of times for it to fall on the largely deaf ears of those who are star stuck by £50million + signings) the squad was left to deteriorate to the point it more or less fell into an old crumbling heap, and we then started making desperate purchases that the world and his dog knew we needed.

Ergo, this is, was and always will be the robbing Glazers fault.

cytrax likes this.
  18. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Yeah, £240 is cheap! lol.. edited!

19. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

In my opinion, we have to get past Sir Alex’s time at this juncture. It is largely counter intuitive to point to state of the squad eight years ago. If we can’t rebuild a dead squad in eight years with the amount of money thrown at the problem, then how much more time do we actually need?

As for Glazers being flat out at fault, that again is oversimplifying it. During their tenure, we won plenty. Not because of Glazers, but because we had the right structure in place. If we look at how much has been spent since Sir Alex left, it far exceeds anyone else in the league. Therefore, we can’t simply blame the owners as though they’ve provided zero funds to replenish the squad.

However, what we can absolutely blame them for is allowing a man like Woodward to run the club’s on-field operations by dealing with transfers and picking managers without impunity and effective accountability from the Glazers.

Since Woodward took over, we have effectively become a failed experiment. We simply need to look at the wage bill, transfer spending and average return in points over the last 7 seasons to arrive at that conclusion.

We have brought in wrong players and managers at insane cost to the club. This is why we are currently in this predicament. I mean, look at how long we have been searching for football director, ffs! Every other fkin club on earth fill the position in matter of months. But at United, we are paralyzed from too much analysis.

Manchester United is a terribly managed club from top to bottom. But hey, the people and players involved in the on-field events earn millions as the supporters continue to fight on Twitter. So, I guess all is well!

Treble likes this.
  20. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Those points are valid in the discussion about why we have to pay through the nose for players right now, which is what the topic of conversation actually is.

The squad shouldn't have been dead. If Ferguson had allowed to replenish his squad every so often with top quality players (like he always had done previously), it wouldn't be anywhere near dead, even now.

Instead, players like Scholes, Giggs, Ferdinand, Evra, played on too long, while 'bargain' basement players like Smalling and Hernandez were added to top it up, and all fell off a cliff at more or less the same time.

We then had to start throwing big money at players to try to put a proper squad together, once Moyes had been elbowed out of the way.

We've been doing exactly that ever since. Only now is an actual squad being built but we still carry the cost of having to pay 'desperate' fees, the reason being they owners made us desperate for those players.

Not sure we actually 'want' a DoF as, if we did, one would be in place by now. It's just bollocks, fobbing off gullible supporters that they are trying to get one in.

And the reason we haven't just stumped up for Sancho is they don't have the money. Well, they do, the club doesn't.

Treble likes this.