1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Okay so we’ve been over this before

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by safc73, Mar 8, 2011.

1. safc73

safc73 Active Member

If SAF did manage to pries Hando away would it be the end of the world?

I’m starting to come round to accepting a big pile of cash for the lad.

I’m certainly not hendo bashing but can see the benefits of having the coin to buy “the finished article” rather than “work in progress”

Be gentle lads

2. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

Depends on the price mate. The kid has bags of talent that still needs nurturing but he's still young and still learning his trade, he'll come good one day.

There comes a point when the money is too tempting to turn down, at what point that is only NQ and SB know but for me, if we got offered around the £20m mark I'd sell. £20m can buy us a lot these days and don't forget we still have Colback to bring through.

3. rokereconomic

rokereconomic Member

Got to agree, for the right money or in a deal for Wellbeck I think we could let him go. We've got cover.

4. Steven Royston O'Neill

Steven Royston O'Neill Well-Known Member

Dont think its Hendo bashing at all, lots of stories about it, Hendo off form, strong and getting stronger in midfield so legit question.

I'm starting to think it may be a good move for Hendo, all this my club, local lad, bright young hope, I think its puting a pressure on him and its showing. At Man U he would be more in the shadows and that could just allow him to develop quietly.

For us, Hendo for Welbeck would be a good move because we can replace Hendo far easier than Welbeck IMHO.

5. safc73

safc73 Active Member

Thanks cyprus, think your right about the pressure.
    Whilst a move to manu would give him a huge lift I think it would also bring him back down to the reality of a pecking order which will make him stronger as a player.

As for us, I'm sure it would only happen if we did not come out of it smiling

6. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

safc73 i do think syd could be right we realy need to get wellbeck at all costs imo <bubbly>

7. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Fir me it all depends on how Henderson feels...If he really wants to stick with his home town club and not have his head turned with offers from the likes of Man U, then I would like him to stay. On the other hand, if his form is going to dip because of all the speculation then it may be better to cash in.

8. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

The kid needs rest for sure, he's done what the manager has asked of him under difficult circumstances but now that we have options available in midfield i think he should be sidelined for his own good. Not cos he deserves to be dropped but i think we would see a different Jordan Henderson return if he was rested a for a few games.

9. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think some of the quotes of around £20m are a bit far-fetched now. He seem's to have gone backwards since the England game and when he was profiled quite a bit in the national press. Agree he needs a rest but with all the injuries Brucey hasn't been able to spare him. I also think maybe the pressure has got to him somewhat.

Don't want to sell him though and don't see why we should. I think he'll come back stronger and more motivated next season.

10. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

SAF may get him. No guarentee DW wants to come here permanently tho.

11. safc73

safc73 Active Member

I'd be over the moon if we could have both, just trying to come to terms with the potential of losing him and the potential benefits if we did.

Sandy, you could well be right however a rest for a few games and a good show in the run in would soon see his value back up

12. Blackcat

Blackcat Member

Every player has their price in the modern game that is indisputable. But for me I'd like to keep the boy at the club, he is a product of our youth system and is already a great example to other kids in the pipeline looking to push onto the first team.
    Like any player he will have his ups and downs but he is one the best prospects we have developed in my time and we should continue to nurture him if and until the 'offer you can't refuse' comes along.
    I think linking the debate to Welbeck is a red herring. I don't think Utd will release Welbeck as part of some exchange deal for Henderson - Would you??
    Finally, I read an article on SSN today quoting the kid saying he wanted to stay put - a great young player who wants to play for us and who is still developing - why sell him? Simples!:emoticon-0105-wink:

13. bald-in-guelph

He really hasn't had a good game in weeks and a great game in months. For me, he should have been given a rest to recharge his batteries as some of his recent performances have been nothing short of abject. There seems to be a reluctance to "tell it like it is" with Henderson because he's a local lad. If he'd been from some place else a lot of people would have been on his back well before now. There's something of "The Emperor's New Clothes" with a lot of our fans when it comes to Henderson. People keep saying that he's a "great player," but there hasn't been a lot of evidence of that recently.

14. jerseymackem

jerseymackem Active Member

I'd agree with what most people on here said, 20 mil + or welbeck in a straight swap. He's a valuable asset, and we should try to keep him, but as Brucie said on Goals on sunday, when a player wants to go there's no point in trying to stop them. I do hope he doesn't go, though.

15. Blackcat

Blackcat Member

I'm not saying he is the finished article by any means Bald - but he is one of the best prospects we've reared locally, can't see how you can't see this.

16. HorsleyHillCat

HorsleyHillCat Well-Known Member

I'll take 12 mill & Danny Welbeck, that would be a good deal

17. safc73

safc73 Active Member

I'd say that would be a bloody good deal for us if it came off.

18. Dazzla_FTM

Dazzla_FTM Member

I can't see a money + Welbeck Deal happening......IMO if Hendo is worth 20 mil then Welbeck is worth 30.........but god knows how they value players.....If the Avatar is worth 35 mil...then Hendo is worth 45 and welbeck is worth 55mil!!!

19. Rokerlad59

Rokerlad59 Member

There's been a lot of very sensible points made here, a reasoned discussion over SAF's interest in JH and what may come of it.

I know only two things for certain, JH has expressed his contentment with SAFC as he is playing regularly in the team, and that SAF keeps asking about him when he and SB speak. Both matters are documented, anything else is just speculation (from media and fans alike).

I, would like to see the lad stop with us for a while, hopefully he will recapture the form he showed earlier in the season, and get better. If SAFC can continue the progression we've shown, consistently towards the top of the table and gaining entry to European competition, our hand will be stronger in terms of retaining quality players - and recruiting others.

If not, then as a professional footballer, JH may feel that a move is right?

20. InBruceWeTrusted

I would think a likely scenario for next season would be Henderson staying so Fergie can see how he does next season and Welbeck returning for another season long loan. It will certainly be an interesting saga over the Summer.