1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic - Teachers.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Redprintt, May 16, 2020.

1. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Are they genuinely concerned for health reasons or are they playing politics?

I think it's the latter.

2. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I have to say, if this virus is as deadly and contagious as they say it is, I'm a bit surprised why there is a rush to send the kids back, especially when the summer holidays are just a few weeks away.....

3. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Got me excited then - I thought this was a thread about whiskey.......<laugh>

Serious subject though, and if they were playing politics, then they are not alone.

Public concerns are a magnet for those who like to make political capital at every opportunity - and this is amplified by the BBC (Biased Broadcasting Corporation).

4. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Both.

Its a left wing profession and an opportunity to politically point score.

But how do you socially distance children? How do children behave? Its extremely difficult with small groups. Even the way we interact and communicate i.e. get down to their level goes against social distancing.

This looks like a an economic decision v a health decision. Primary kids back to school - parents can work. Comprehensive kids stay at home - parents many can still go to work. Its uneven.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  5. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

My wife’s a teacher and whilst she is a ‘bit of a leftie’ like most teachers are, she’s not a militant. Her concerns are about being in an environment where 30+ people are in a confined classroom with her, followed by a different set, and another - every working day. Those groups of 30+ will also be mixing with each other between lessons and before/after school. An ideal breeding ground for the virus, with hundreds of young carriers spreading it far and wide.
    Whilst the virus doesn’t seem to affect young people as much as older ones, so most of the PUPILS may be ok, the teachers - and their families will not. THIS is what concerns her.
    At the same time, she, like everyone else, recognises that the country is on its knees economically and workers with young children can’t go to work when their kids can’t go to school. That’s not even taking the education of the pupils into account and the damage being done to their learning.
    At the end of the day, with a cure or vaccine a long way off, the country has to make a choice between bankruptcy or safety. What a choice!
    Whilst there are, undoubtedly some militants with a political axe to grind exploiting the current situation, there are many others who went into teaching in order to give young people the best possible start in life and help to equip them to be the best that they can. These people are simply concerned about being sent to work into an environment where social distancing is virtually impossible to enforce.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  6. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

A tough one, as teachers could be at more risk of catching it from kids who could be carriers than the other way around. My issue is, if schools had done a better job over the past 8 weeks of teaching, then going back wouldn't be an issue. My 13 yr old daughter has been 'set' plenty of work during the lockdown, but, she has been taught nothing! Not a single Zoom class from the teachers, teachers taking hours to respond to any questions, if they even respond, simply isn't good enough. I have kept my daughter on a strict school timetable regime, so why haven't teachers?

7. bcfcredandwhite

Both.
    As per my post above, there are some playing politics - particularly the union leaders, but your common classroom teacher is simply questioning how safety and social distancing rules can apply in educational establishments full of energetic young people.

8. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Makes me wonder what if the doctors and nurses question safety regimes and stopped working, what if carers and other essential workers said no to running our sevices, what would happen if one of the teaching profession or their families fell for the virus , contacted the medical people or carers for assistance or treatment and was told to bugger off they're unclean,what would they do, they would cry like banshees, they are not a special group but an important part of our nations structure.

We need them to educate our young, they should be desperate to play their part, do their jobs, cooperate unreservedly with the necessary authorities, design an agreed pathway and get on with it for the youngsters, I firmly believe that is what the vast majority want to do, I am a honest believer in trade unions but in this instance they should stick their designer politics right up their various orifices and seek to fulfil the national need.

There will be plenty of time later for investigation and the blame game.

9. bcfcredandwhite

Just heard on the news; it’s not the unions (for a change) that are refusing to open schools, it’s 2 local councils.

10. Tom_BCFC

Tom_BCFC Billy Bibbit
    Forum Moderator

My mum is a primary school teacher and has similar concerns as she teaches a class of up to 30 kids ( she can teach Nursery up to Year 2), she goes into work every day currently as she has children in her class who’s parents work in the front line and has about 4/5 children in every day currently.

11. Redprintt

You'd think the supermarket workers would have just as much to be concerned about as teachers.
    What's the difference ?
    Left wing 'leaning'is my guess.

And how do other countries make it work, where there's a will there's a way.

12. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Supermarket workers can socially isolate. They are also dealing in the main with adults.

I work in care with adults. With children it would be a significantly differing role. Children in particular the young comprehension and social skills are entirely different. Primary age kids not only think differently they use a different part of the brain to do it. They are not mini adults and so decisions should always take this into account.

Risk and therefore its control has to be different across services and industry.

Other nations are at differing stages of outbreak. How can Britain be compared to New Zealand? Bristol alone has had more deaths than some Countries as a whole.

We can. Employment law allows people to do this if work places are viewed as unsafe. But we as individuals chose a essential form of work. Coronavirus is the not the only virus that endangers the NHS etc .. Its certainly not the only risk I in my workplace have been assaulted several times, its part of the job when working with certain client groups, its a when not an if.

Teachers are a special group. Everybody is special but life, its workplaces are not equal. Services should be ran on what is equitable. Delaying the return to school for another two or three weeks will make school environments safer - It is not essential in this short term.

13. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

I know Wiz why don’t we all go back to work? ,

if the return to work isn’t done properly there will be a second spike and we’ll all be back under lockdown again.

The medical profession have to work through it to bring it under control, I’m sure the last thing they want is for teachers, or anyone else for that matter, to go back too early as that will mean there will be more cases and ultimately make their job more difficult and dangerous as more cases present themselves at the hospitals.

14. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

That is a bit like the armed services saying no to going to war, because it’s unsafe.

Supcon72 likes this.
  15. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I don't think that at all, it would be impossible and against all rhyme and reason, I just think it's rediculous for teaching unions to reject propasals for a steady, planned and gradual return to schools opening with the built in caveats of instants controls if things get hazardous, they the unions do not know whats better than government scientific experts, they the unions should concentrate on getting the educational needs of the nation moving again and follow the astonishing bravery, dedication and devotion to their patients of the medical profession and carers.

We should all be pulling together in a common cause against this evil killer disease, not squabbling and scoring points, it's futile.

16. bcfcredandwhite

Wiz - it’s the COUNCILS of Liverpool and Hartlepool which are refusing to open schools in their area, not the teaching unions.
    The unions are negotiating a back to work plan with the government. They aren’t refusing to return to work.
    Parents are split on this too - and doctors are saying 1st June is too early.
    I personally think it should be done by region, depending on the number of cases in that region.

17. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

you are talking unions and they are opposition would tend to agree … you have to remember, when union people say go on strike, or ban overtime , or lose some of your salary ….THEY DONT... NOWADAYS THERE IS VERY LITTLE FOR THEM TO DO... generally, so when they get a chance they like to look tough. ...take away the furlough and they would all be back at work ………….

18. johngalleyfan2

max class size is 15 … so need more classroom space so certain years will miss out to accommodate ...

19. johngalleyfan2

most supermarket staff are just filling the shelves, taking the money and paying little heed to 2m distancing odd one jumps out of the way when you get to close ...told to wait 2m to load on the belt, but when you load into your bags you are a metre away for at least 5 -10 mins. I wonder how good or clean the airconditioning filters are!

20. Redprintt

R&W
    That Liverpool Council.
    They are concerned about opening schools in a careful controlled way.

Why weren't they so careful allowing 3.5k A Madrid fans to visit Liverpool when they weren't even allowed to watch football the previous weekend in Spain.

bcfcredandwhite likes this.