1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

[Off Topic] Head Gasket

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by jerseymackem, Nov 17, 2011.

1. jerseymackem

jerseymackem Active Member

The head gasket on my lovely Fiat has to be replaced, but the garage says that it will be about £650. which is too much for me! Does anyone out there know if...

a. I could do it myself, or
    b. I could get it done any cheaper than that (the car itself was only £500)

2. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The part is usually pretty cheap, but the tools can be an arse to get. Should be cheaper than that though.

3. Bergkamp a Dutch master

First get several quotes. Large garages, and sole traders.

Do you have a Workshop manual - £10-15 new!
    Can you work on the car under cover - well lit.?
    Not only the head gasket to replace but probably other gaskets (there may be a kit).
    Worse case the head might want skimming to make it true - ask garages if that ever happens to your model.

4. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

My licence has not arrived since I passed on the 7/11/11, so what do I do - it says 3 weeks but does it really take that long?

5. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

You can still drive with no issue.

If you get pulled over for any reason your name will still come up on the rozzers computers as having a licence.

6. EternalMSC

Yeah cheers, so I can carry that blue certificate or something, and when does the pink photo-card come through?

7. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I passed 2 years ago and got mine within a week, if not sooner, but I know others who it took a while for others. Give it another week before moaning. To be honest, if you called up the DVLA, they'd probably say that anyway, without bothering to check their systems.

8. allsaintchris.

No idea. I got mine when it was still paper!

9. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I got my photocard the same time as the paper license, within a week of passing.

10. EternalMSC

Yeah, well I have my blue pass certificate at hand so **** em. ;) Thanks guys.

11. jerseymackem

I don't know how it works in england, but over here they said it should take about a week in the post. With the car, I think i'll have to dump it and get another, I love it to bits but something else will inevitably go wrong, it's like a sink. If anyone's getting rid of a car and wants to pay shipping to jersey, I'll happily take it off you! :D

R.I.P. my little Punto, I hardly knew ye <peacedove> <wah>

12. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Yes, Jersey. If the car cost only £500, this certainly seems the most sensible option unless you are a mechanic yourself - which is evidently not the case. That said, your £600 quotation sounds a bit steep to me, although I have no idea of the norm for such work on a Punto.

Have a good look around and try to take your time choosing another. Are you able to buy in England and/or France without too much hassle?

13. jerseymackem

I don't think so, a ferry to Portsmouth is pretty pricey. There's a second hand Jersey website with a few cars on, but that's where I got this one from, it can be a bit dodgy. It's annoying, it's waited until I've passed my test till it breaks!

14. cosicave

Yes, I feared this might be the case.
    There are lots of nice things about being 'away from it all', but at times like this, the drawbacks tend to be highlighted!

Best of luck.

P.S. This may also help explain what looks like a rather high quotation price, relative to the mainland; but I repeat: I know very little about what might be expected to fix low-priced cars.

15. jerseymackem

One reason why we're cutting our losses is that this is one of the signs that the car's on it's way out anyway. It's already had new tyres, new brakes, new exhaust, and I've only had it since May! It's from '95, so it's had a decent life, but I absolutely love it to pieces! <wah>

16. cosicave

Oh dear.
    I'm sincerely sorry to hear that you've already incurred what must be significant expense for such a cheap car in such a short time, only to find the benefit of your efforts short-lived. However, all is not lost. This sort of experience early on in one's motoring career can prove to be very educational at just the right time!

I wish you luck with your next car. Try to recruit the help of a friend who knows a bit about cars when you go hunting. As you are quickly discovering, there is no real substitute for experience&#8230;

17. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

I heard you can fix it with a tennis ball or an egg but that possibly might be dodgy. Head gaskets are the worst

18. Bergkamp a Dutch master

No! - eggs 'may' fix punctured radiators.-- but will likely gum-up vital water channels in the head and cause overheating.
    I imagine gasket is suggested due to oil getting into rad water? - and water getting into oil - therefore excessive exhaust steam -especially on starting?

The cost and work is reflected in the number of items which will require removal to get the head off.

19. allsaintchris.

If you're thinking of getting rid of the car you may as well pay £20 for the gasket kit, get a Haynes Manual off ebay and have a crack at doing it yourself :)

What have you got to lose? And it may give you a good grounding in car mechanics so in future may give you more confidence to do some basic motor mechanics yourself. Saves a shed load in garage bills if you can.

I wouldn't do a head gasket on the family car, but if it were going to the scrappy anyway and would give it a new lease of life for a bit, then I'd have a go myself.

20. EternalMSC

Just to let you guys know, the photo card and counterpart came through today ;)