1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off pitch turmoil taking its' toll.

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Apr 6, 2022.

1. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Horrible first half against Real, and a gift from Mendy of all people, at exactly the wrong time.

After the shocker against Brentford, it sure looks like the off-pitch goings on are effecting the players badly.
    Oh for a proper striker, Benzema is in the form of a lifetime and literally took us to pieces. His positioning, instincts and finishing were light years above any striker we've seen at the Bridge in years.
    Tough game coming in Madrid , and some confidence and inventive play needed at home to keep us in the top 4.
    TT needs some help from Buck and Co, he shouldn't need to be doing all the press stuff alone, it has to be affecting him too.
    Sure the players will lift and get back that spark they have been missing.

As for the performance, Christensen was awful, slow and unimpressive. Dave struggled out of position, and Pulisic was again invisible, feeble and not good enough. The rest led by Havertz, all lifted 2nd half, and Kovacic has to start, not sit on the bench watching us self destruct.

If TT can't get players motivated, bring in Ange Postocoglu, because he can.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  2. CFC: Champs £launderx17

I wondered when the tabloid press would start trotting that line out. Who knows? We won seven in a row before at the height of the uncertainty. Fatigue and international break more likely to be reasons but not an attention-grabbing headline

3. Chelsea Pensioner

Possibly, but we have no tabloid press here, so this thought is all my own. Stress takes many different forms, and the players must be feeling it. So I still think breaks and fatigue are likely to be part of it, but not the whole. We're not the only team suffering Fatigue and international breaks, but we are alone in losing all our form in a very short time. Even Audi is showing it and making fundamental errors, so something is going on. Looking forward to a big improvement ASAP.

4. CFC: Champs £launderx17

I think we've played more games than any other club. We've had another great season. Hopefully we can secure third and an FA cup would be fantastic

5. District Line

District Line Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Tactically that 1st half was maybe the worst i've seen from us at home in the CL. Tuchel has to shoulder most of the responsibility for that.

Although I've never been sold on Mendy I think it's incredibly harsh to criticise him too much given his performances for us over the last 12 months. Lukaku's miss also another pivotal turning point, he can't be seeing any more minutes for us in any game of significance.

6. Chelsea Pensioner

Both Mendy and Rudi make a mistake occasionally , but so what ?? Those 2 especially have been our mainstays in defence all season. And Audi made a couple of mistakes too. However the sun came up in the East again this morning, so the world is still revolving, and we have a game against Southampton to look forward to.

7. Chelsea Pensioner

That was more like it, an especially good team performance after Audis' "heart to heart" with the team mid week.
    Mount and Werner looked like proper players again, we were completely dominant, and only Christensen and Pulisic were still below par, though better in a good way.
    Can't fault the Manager, who showed skill in lifting his battered team, and some hope now in Madrid after all.

8. Bullet tooth Tony

Bullet tooth Tony Well-Known Member

How much better with Kova and Kante, Werner hitting both post's and the bar then netting two, Mount on fire yet we still gave Saints thee or four chances that on another day could have ben costly, Real next not expecting to much but you never know, anyone got a contact in Madrid that could adminster food poisoning to Benzima I got a tenner he can have.

9. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Mount was incredible: what a performance. Best individual performance by one of our lads this year.

He loves Chelsea - we are very lucky to have him