1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

odd subject but...

Discussion in 'Leyton Orient' started by stephenorient, Jan 28, 2011.

1. stephenorient

stephenorient New Member

Wimbledon FC - MK Dons - AFC Wimbledon

Who exactly owns the rights to the honours of the old CRazy gang??? That side that won the FA Cup, who spent many years in the top flight, who skipped from Div 4 to 1 without ever getting relgated...

Do MK Dons claim Wimbledon's history???

2. ShelfSideSpur

ShelfSideSpur Active Member

It would be interesting to know how many MK Dons fans are actually Wimbledon fans who make the journey up every game. Maybe post this on the Dons board?

3. benzheir

benzheir New Member

Peter Winkleman handed the replica F.A Cup over to AFC Wimbledon when he moved them to Milton Keynes.
    The F.A Cup past winners list says Wimbledon and does not acknowledge either MK Dons or AFC Wimbledon.

4. stephenorient

stephenorient New Member

this is good then... i dont want either club to be acknowledged for the history of Wimbledon... it wa after reading an article about LEyton FC and their history and the disputes they had I wondered what the situation was and whether MK or AFC wim claimed any previous honours...

I am pleased now!

5. benzheir

benzheir New Member

It’s a bizarre one to be honest because technically MK Dons are Wimbledon Football Club, they just relocated and changed name. Much the same as Woolwich Arsenal are now Arsenal and Newton Heath are now Manchester United. In both circumstances the latter clubs kept the history of their former selves.
    MK Dons have been allowed to kind of start again as a new team and are not credited with any of Wimbledon’s former glories and have no former Wimbledon players listed as notable players so they by the letter of the law should have been made to start in the bottom of the football pyramid and work their way back up.

6. stephenorient

stephenorient New Member

it's a good reason to dislike MK Dons really... but saying that they did plummet to the Div 3 before coming back up so I supose at least they weren't given a free start in top flight or Championship.

During FA Cup first round AFC wimbledon were on BBC or ITV live and they had LAwrie Sanchez on and they were treating it like he was a former player of AFC wimbledon or the two were more linked than just by supporters.

7. benzheir

benzheir New Member

The majority of former Wimbledon players are always seen to have a greater affiliation with AFC Wimbledon as that is the fans club, but the Wimbledon players that were contracted while the name changed, became MK Dons players.

MK Dons were not demoted into League Two because of the name change or the relocation, they were quiet simply relegated for not gaining enough points to stay up.

To be honest there is so much red tape around what happened that its impossible for any of us to know how or why they got away with it.

8. stephenorient

stephenorient New Member

i remember MK Dons were just **** and went down to league 2 - i imagine it was a case of Wimbledon moving location they got away with it... shouldn't have ever happened!