1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

o/t how can they have an American Del Boy?!

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Nick HCAFC, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Nick HCAFC

Nick HCAFC Active Member

2. andy payton's mullet

andy payton's mullet Well-Known Member

A lot of countries have re-made it. There are some videos on youtube I think. Some of them look bizarre.

3. The FRENCH TICKLER

The FRENCH TICKLER Well-Known Member

oh dear. cannot wait to see who they get to play grandad. i have to agree with David Jasons comments but you just never know. is there a market in the US for half price cracked ice ? lol.

4. RicardoHCAFC

RicardoHCAFC Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I always like watching the first episodes of these things just to see what they're like. At the moment I'm on the hunt for Fawlty Towers because they apparently made it without Basil.

5. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

How can they have an American Del Boy?

Answer: they can't

Even David Jason has said it won't work, making the point that it took parts of Britain years to 'catch up' with the humour of the original, let alone the bloody US. It's going to be shocking. Jason is apprehensive and Sullivan's dead. Nothing good can possibly come out of this bizarre situation.

6. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio Well-Known Member

They'll have to re-write all the scripts and take out all the Peckham, London and not forgeting Hull :) references. I dunno what the Yankie equivalent of a geezer/ wideboy is.

Wonder what the them tune will be like as well.

Surely someone who worked on the British show will supervise it.

Leguizamo is a good actor but can't see him pull this off.

7. WhittlingStick

WhittlingStick Well-Known Member

its not going to be anything like the episodes i remember .
    how would hiding from the Driscol brothers work ? the mobile phone ariel (yeah whats one of those ? ) going up Dels hooter .
    OFaH was brilliant right up until they got hitched , then the dynamics changed !!!

Someone over there likes the original but fears their fellow yanks wont get it , well give them chance as there is a massive amount of real comedy they are missing out on ,
    most if not nearl all american sit coms are dire and on a gag a second format.

8. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

I love anything and everything to do with OFAH, but the first Three Series were pure genius

9. RicardoHCAFC

Forum Moderator

Don't they show all the originals on BBC America anyway?

10. andy payton's mullet

andy payton's mullet Well-Known Member

And that, Rodney, is Bonnet de Douche

11. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

<laugh><applause>'

12. Jaggro

Jaggro Active Member

Has anyone seen the first episode of US Skins? It's literally identical to the episode 1, season 1 of the UK version. And by that I mean IDENTICAL. The script is the same word-for-word, every action is exactly the same - the only difference is the character names:
    Sid is replaced by Stanley, Maxxie by Tea, Anwar by Abbud, Cassie by Cadie and Jal by Daisy.
    I can understand them trying to make a show using the same sort of ideas but to copy the script word-for-word... why don't they just air the UK version in the US?

13. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

I can't stand Skins. All of my mates at loved it when it first came out, but I went against the grain and faced up to the fact it was **** <laugh>

I did see a YouTube video though where someone had done a split screen of a couple of clips, and they really were identical. What the hell is the point in buying the rights to a show just to do that!? :confused:

14. Jaggro

Jaggro Active Member

I can't any more, not watched it for a couple of years. The first two series were good and the third series decent, but from that moment onwards it changed from a comedy-drama to a far more serious tone. From stealing coffins and shagging teachers we move onto an obsessive psychopath psychiatrist (bit of a mouthful <laugh>) who causes a girl to attempt suicide and also murders her boyfriend.
    Just thought I'd spoil series 4 completely for anyone who may have been tempted to watch <laugh>

15. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

You're right it's ****. It's basically a soap pretending not to be one.

16. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

JD, I actually watched the episode where the bloke kills a kid. I was seeing if I could warm to it. It was a shocker <laugh>

17. Jaggro

Jaggro Active Member

<laugh> I agree, that was the last series I watched, didn't even bother with Series 5 or 6, and I wish I hadn't bothered with 4 <doh> it's completely gone to ****, I have no idea how it's still airing when all you hear nowadays are negative reviews.

18. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

I saw the advert for the latest series, one minute some Aryan-looking kid is chatting up a black lass, then there's a crash and a kid saying "well, we were having a great holiday. Then a couple of 'em went and died on me".

(That second sentence wasn't actually in the ad. It was my flourish)

19. RicardoHCAFC

Forum Moderator

If I'm watching from the beginning I usually give things 2 or 3 episodes to get going (they always arse about setting up the characters) but I lasted less than half the first episode before I decided I couldn't be arsed with it.

Same thing with Shameless, another one the Americans have taken. I've never managed to watch a full episode of that, and that's despite knowing someone who was in an episode of it.

20. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

I like Shameless. First few series are ****, then it came good, now it's a bit **** again. I stick with it like a faithful lapdog though. God knows why.