1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

O/T - Giro d'Italia

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by WBA2_QPR3, May 18, 2014.

1. WBA2_QPR3

WBA2_QPR3 Well-Known Member

Imaz are you following it this year?

Will Cadel Evans finish his career with a final win in the Pink jersey? Wiggins has bottled it this year for the Tour of California.

We might see Quintana make his TdF intent known on the Giro

2. Azmi

Azmi Well-Known Member

Yeah, been watching it every day on the RAI as I have a foot fracture. Was hoping to see Uran or Quitana take it to Evans yesterday or today. Rumour has it according to the RAI that those two are working towards a collaboration to make sure this Giro will be Colombian.

Evans and Matthews attack at Montecassino was way out of order concerning how serious the crash and injuries were at the start of the climb. I'm not that keen on the anglo saxon influence on cycling tbh. It was better before Yates, Armstrong, Wiggins and Froome arrived.

Still hoping things can be turned arround next weekend.

3. WBA2_QPR3

Sorry to hear about your foot mate. Are you at Wembley next week?

If i had to pick a winner i would go for Quintana. He 'could' devestate the TdF this year

4. Azmi

Azmi Well-Known Member

I wish, have to keep foot immobilised for another 5 weeks at least as the fracture isn't healing and I can't walk in the ski boot thing. Doctors failed to diagnose it since last summer so its refractured at least three times, all about speed of laying down bone to it falling away due to use. Metatarsals are a bastard and of course it would happen just before the World Cup!

Can't see Quintana doing the Giro Tour double but the ITT at the Giro isn't that flat and the Chronoscalata can't do him any harm. The days in Ireland and Montecassino came very close to ruining the Giro this year with injuries and the behaviour of Evans and Matthews. I'm convinced the stiff modern wheel rims are causing problems in the wet combined with over pumped tubulars. Back when I used to ride I remember so called high rimmed chrono wheels combined with very rigid steel frames Colnago style being not only a handling nightmare but giving all kinds of other problems in delicate areas. I used to ride an "Alan" aluminium frame in the 80's which was in a different league regarding comfort over rough roads and those big stones you get in cities and handled far safer imho. Noticed Rolland was riding old style conventional wheels yesterday with all the downhills etc.

I'd like to see Quintana take it but I think it may be Uran. If Evans wins at 37 it's another Horner if you get my meaning.

5. Azmi

Azmi Well-Known Member

Do you watch it on RAI, WBA?

6. WBA2_QPR3

Eurosport. I like the Carlton Colby and Sean Kelly partnership.

Gearing up for the Grand Depart t'Yorkshire up my end. Going to be an epic weekend even if the Sheffield stage does finish in the red light district! Having an open house weekend, hog roast & a couple of bands playing in the garden. Just praying for good weather

7. Azmi

Azmi Well-Known Member

Sounds good. Remember being at the Prologue of the Giro in Florence in the 80's and seeing Moser go by. Not sure if it was that Giro they made for him or not but was close to the finish and their speed over what were slippery flagstones on the dodgy TT bikes of the day was unbelievable.

Can't get Eurosport as only have freesat and free TV from HotBird, 2 different dishes. Is that old guy who rambled on about food and wine still on there? RAI's Alessandra De Stefano does an amazing job all things considering on the RAI, she can talk and talk and she's politically and socially aware which is a welcome change. Think it's Massimiliano Lelli one of those on the motorcycles who is a disaster being either out of contact or rambling incoherently and what the hell the geologist lady is doing there for god alone only knows...

8. WBA2_QPR3

Can you get an RAI dubbed channel? My local Italian cafe in Sheffield always has it on but obviously all in Italian

Just watching Sir Wiggo tie up the Tour of California. Dull

9. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

I watched the stage from Armagh into Dublin last Sunday on the tele. It was a fantastic stage. Full of incident. The finish was really exciting.

I know Kingdom Hoop went to see it when it was in Belfast. He said it was brilliant.

10. WBA2_QPR3

Get yourself over for the Tour de France lad

11. Azmi

Azmi Well-Known Member

Don't think so. Italian is the lingua franca of cycling probably because French is too hard and many pass or used to pass the winter training in Italy where it may be freezing but rains less than up north. Italian is the world's easiest language, if both Stan and myself can deal with it there's the proof.

This Tour of California is becoming a major issue due to the date clash and the money involved. TV rights for the whole TdF are six million Euros approx (less than Wimbledon) and the Giro is one tenth that. The Giro has already moved it's date by a few weeks and this thime it's up to the Americans to change date. The Vuelta has benefitted immensly by moving to later in the year and is fast becoming the best GT imho.

12. CORKeR

CORKeR Well-Known Member

Out for a 30k spin with my 12yr old daughter on her new(ish) Giant OCR2 bike. She's now glued to my back wheel on the climbs! Not long before she's holding up for me.

Got home after the spin and we nestled into the couch to watch the last 30k of the Giro. She's hooked, methinks!

Saw the Giro last week. Found ourselves a rock to sit on right at the apex of an uphill 90 degree turn. Cadel and Kitel 6inches from us! Some great pics which I will try and post.

Heading to France on hols again this year and we are 2hrs drive from the Col de Tourmalet stage. Looks like a 6 am start from us that day. Find a village close by where we can park up and cycle to the course. Happy days!