1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

O/T Abandoning Animals

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Murdoc, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Murdoc

Murdoc Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago, my missus kept seeing the exact same dog outside her work. She managed to convince me to come with her on one of my days off to see it and then the obvious neglect and pain the animal had endured was shocking.

I took it to RSPCA but when I gave the tiny, shaking little dog over, I couldn't help but feel that abandoning an animal is awful. I certainly don't have the heart to be able to do it and would live with regret for the rest of my life, and I don't know how anyone can. I'm now looking into adopting it, as it somehow feels as though I have a moral obligation to do so considering we took it in.

Has anybody else had this experience?

2. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Well-Known Member

I'm the same, I have no idea how someone can abuse an animal. it's strange really, I can watch advert after advert showing African kids in terrible plight and think 'that's sad', but one advert showing neglected dogs and I'm an emotional wreck.

3. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

People like you are heroes to me Candy, after all animals, and dogs in particular, are much better than humans.

4. Party Hull!

Party Hull! Well-Known Member

It would be very excellent if you did, Candy.

I think sometimes you do get people who become too old/infirm/frail to look after a pet and you get situations like this for those reasons (which are just unfortunate) but yes, largely they will be because some oik can no longer be arsed.

It's evil.

5. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Yeah same tbh. All our dogs have been rescue ones. My mam was the same with cats. One had 3 legs but could shift quicker than any others. Mostly hers were ones near the ends of their lives, and her view was, whatever time they had left, it would be awesome. I'm sorta the same with dogs, although never had a really old one, and a little bit of me always dies with them when they go. Would rather look after them than people too.

Good for you Candy Man, people who mistreat animals get off way too lightly.

6. cheshirecat

cheshirecat Member

Well our dog was rescued after someone was spotted hitting a bin liner against a wall then throwing it in a canal. Inside was a litter of pups, all but 2 dead, one of which was our dog, the other subsequently died. That was 6 years ago , but the cruelty goes on-last week my wife disturbed some scrote trying to throw a box over a fence behind our house into a disused garage compound. Inside , you guessed it, a puppy caked in dirt. Why people do it I won't understand, there are ways to give them up without abandoning them, mind you my wife is a teacher and some of the stories she tells me of 'parenting' would really make you ill

7. look_back_in_amber

With regard to your last sentence, it's quite frightening the amount of children today that appear to have no conscience, and someone without a conscience is a very dangerous thing, to humans as well as animals, but then that's a whole different subject matter.

8. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

Humans are animals. All animals need conditioning into what is and what isn't socially acceptable behaviour.

There is no 'natural moral law'.

Immanual Kant is a kunt.

Therefore all animals, humans or otherwise, need training.

9. cheshirecat

cheshirecat Member

A less extreme example is a dad who has 6 children at the school two of whom are twins.........FIVE different mothers. At going home time he does the rounds at the gate saying 'bye'. God help us!

10. Ernie Shackleton

They're better off with their mothers.

11. cheshirecat

cheshirecat Member

Sure they are better off with their mothers Ernie, was just mentioning it as an example of what a mess we're getting in, chances are these kids will follow a similar path but slightly worse, not getting the training you mentioned

12. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

I've honestly never had an abused dog land near me, but plenty of damaged crows, pigeons, woodlice and slugs.

Am I cruel for not taking them in? Do other people have a house full of these things, or is it just dogs and cats?

13. look_back_in_amber

You'd need to assess the mothers to be able to know whether that's anything like an accurate statement

14. look_back_in_amber

It's a downward spiral for sure, and the worrying thing is that I can't see anything stopping it.

15. Ernie Shackleton

Fair point.

If Cheshirecat can set up a meeting and someone pays my expenses, I'll assess the mothers.

16. Leon T Trout AFC

Leon T Trout AFC Well-Known Member

Animal cruelty of any form is utterly abhorrent and society should meet it with harsh reprisals.

17. Ernie Shackleton

Farming?

Hunting?

Pest control?

18. Leon T Trout AFC

I fear if I answer, the thread will be instantly closed.

19. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

I put that blue gravelly stuff down to kill slugs, should i hand meself in to the police? I feel terrible now.

20. Leon T Trout AFC

I remember the horror of seeing a burst slug on top of a dog ****.