1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Postecoglou & Lange (& Paratici) Watch

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Dier Hard, Apr 19, 2021.

?

Next gaffer, who's your preference?

1. Arne Slot

2. Ruben Amorim

3. Luis Enrique

4. Ange Postocoglou

5. Brendan Rodgers

6. Graham Potter

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

There have only been about ten managers who have made a real difference in the English League in my lifetime.
    We had two of them and sacked the second one because of a poor run of results. The chance of getting a third is remote.

2. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

If we are going to stay with 433 - and realistically we should, as chopping and changing whole systems to try and make something work for one game is how disasters happen - realistically we need something like
    Lloris; Tanganga, Romero, Dier/Sanchez, Reguilon; Skipp, Hojbjerg, Lo Celso; Lucas/Gil, Kane, Son

Yes, there is a definite element of "safety first" with that midfield, but given having a midfield including Ndombele and Dele is the opposite and that's not exactly working out having a midfield that can both fight for the ball and retain it is obviously important, and realistically Ndombele is looking like a better option off the bench because he plays the ball direct through the middle which is a weapon to have in reserve because starting him actively goes against what our tactics say we should do

3. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

We need to bin the 433 system until such a date that we actually have the players who can make it work. Nuno himself rarely used it at Wolves, so it's not as though he isn't familiar with other systems.

Either bring 4231 back or play 3 at the back with proper WBs.

So many of our problems are down to the fact that the players don't fit the set up. And Nuno as good as admitted this after the game today. So why persist with a system that has served up the worst football we've endured in a generation for a period of over 2 years?

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  4. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

It doesn’t matter if we play 433 or 3atb or 4231 really, if the intensity and pace of play isn’t there. For years it’s been static and slow on the ball and it just isn’t working. That’s fine if you’re 3 up but not when you need to score.

Nuno needs to pick a system and an XI and stick with it insofar as he possibly can, he did for the first 3 games and since then it’s been endless chopping and changing. I understand he’s had to deal with absences but little of what he’s trying is making sense.

He was onto a good thing early on. In that 433, as with the 3atb, the creativity needs to come from quick play and down the wings. I like the 4231 more because it gives us a central creative option too while still allowing us to overload one side or the other thanks to midfield cover. What isn’t working, no matter the formation, is playing slow. It’s been an issue for years.

5. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Busby? Nicholson? Shankley? Clough?
    Paisley? SAF? Wenger? JM? He who must be called Pep?

6. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Those votes for Potter looking very sound.
    Brighton could be top tomorrow night!!

BobbyD likes this.
  7. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

In my lifetime - in order - in England - SAF, Clough, Mourinho, Paisley, Wenger, Guardiola, Robson, Dalglish, Kendall, Klopp

8. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Moyes? Allardyce? Benitez?
    Sean Dyche? Burnley's spending is about half that of Guardiola's cardigan budget.

9. humanbeingincroydon

FTFY

10. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I’d feel sorry for him as a man, just not as a manager.

He’s done nothing to really relieve the fears many of us had prior to his appointment. He spoke about making us proud when he joined, he spoke about the club motto of “To Dare Is To Do”, he mentions about hard work yet I’m not proud, we’ve not dared and there doesn’t seem to be much work going on, as we’ve progressively gotten worse game by game.

Whilst I appreciate we’re an utter ****show, from top to bottom of the club and that I truly despise a number of our own players, I still don’t buy the fact a group of them can’t play in a cohesive unit and at least somewhat entertaining manner.

I wanted Potter (or ten Hag) once the Nagelsmann and Conte deals went dead, and when looking at his Brighton team and how they’re performing, to me that’s proof you don’t need £50m superstars to play a decent brand and get results. Nuno has a lot more talent at his disposal than Potter yet the latter is maximising his, Nuno’s sucking the life out of his.

It’s still so early in his tenure but he never should’ve been hired in the first place and I think the smartest decision would be to quickly remove him and make sure that mistake doesn’t last for another month or two. I didn’t overly enjoy Mason’s interim spell but he at least got a tune out of one or two players which is more than Nuno’s done, granted Mason did have Bale at his disposal too but nonetheless, Nuno’s been poor and I don’t see it changing.

This is a first black mark by Paratici as he had to convince those above to hire Nuno, **** knows what he saw in him over other candidates.

Roo likes this.

11. humanbeingincroydon

Weren't there a few comments from Romano et al about Paratici bringing in Nuno to build a relationship with Jorge Mendes?

12. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I can’t completely remember to be honest but something in the memory does seem to click when thinking of something involving Mendes.

13. The Huddlefro

Time is the commodity that all managers wish they had more of. I see the comparison to Potter and we both talked about wanting him during the manager search but on the flip side he’s been at Brighton for a couple of years now, Nuno has been here for a handful of games. It’s hardly been plain sailing all that way for Potter either but he’s had time to build a team that works. I’ll criticise Nuno all day for decisions I disagree with that lose us games, but this isn’t Nuno’s Spurs yet, either in style or personnel.

Whether or not he’s the right guy to manage us for the next couple of seasons I really don’t know and won’t be able to make a judgement really until January. But it isn’t looking promising right now tbh. And watching Spurs isn’t that enjoyable. Nuno desperately needs time with his players on the training ground. Whether his ideas are the right ones I’m not sure but we’re currently playing with no discernible, effective plan when in possession and that’s not ok. He at least deserves a chance to try IMO and like you say, I’d feel sorry for him on a personal level if he was denied that chance. Professionally my feelings would be more of a mixed bag.

14. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

His style has never been one that’s been appreciated by the outside world though, so if we’re waiting for a style to kick in it’s likely not going to be one we’d enjoy anyway.

The harsh reality is he’s a poor man’s Jose, very poor in fact, he tries to play the way of “don’t lose” instead of “go for the win” and that will always result in disgruntled fans if you’re not actually winning games because it’s boring and tedious - which is exactly what’s happening now.

Smartest thing we can do in my opinion is quickly erase the mistake we made of appointing him, rather than letting it linger on and very much likely add more poor results and performances to what we’ve been seeing. It feels like just delaying the inevitable now, even if we’re only about 10 games in to his tenure.

15. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Roman Dier Hard Abramovic the II

The Huddlefro and Dier Hard like this.
  16. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

The statistics are damning for Nuno, we are bottom of just about every chart there is, but the worst one is distance covered. If the players are not running we have no chance, leaving everything out on the pitch should be the bare minimum from any player, clearly this is not happening. If this continues he has to go, there has been zero improvement and we are worse than under Mourinho and Mason.

In vintage Levy style, Nuno was given the job purely because he was free, cheap and available, when others ran a mile once they realized what they would be working with, and others were deemed too costly. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for, shop in the thrift store and you will usually only find a short term solution. This is all on Levy, the footballing incompetence of the bloke is staggering.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  17. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

The biggest surprise for me is that people are surprised.

I don’t claim to have amazing football knowledge but wasn’t it clear what Spurs were getting with Nuno. This was always going to happen.

Roo and Lovearsenalcock like this.
  18. District Line

District Line Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Pragmatists are always going to struggle in today's era of football. The myth that teams can't play good football and succeed has long since been dispelled by likes of Pochettino, Klopp, Guardiola, Rodgers, Potter etc.

To his credit, even Moyes has learnt from his failures at United/Sunderland and has become far less pragmatic. Nuno doesn't have the time or personnel to be able to do this.

19. The Huddlefro

Yeah I definitely agree it feels like we’re delaying the inevitable, even if I’m a bit annoyed at myself for jumping to that conclusion so early on. I usually err much more on the side of giving managers time.

To be clear, I’m not saying I think Nuno will succeed or won’t, but I’d feel for him on a human level if he was given less than half a season, and I think it would be most damning on Paratici if he’s hired a manager who it went so wrong for that he had no choice but to fire him before he even had a real chance to do his work. Who is going to want to come into the job after that? Especially given the mitigating factors that have affected Nuno’s Spurs - while they don’t excuse his mistakes, they have undoubtedly contributed to our current position. Anyone looking at potentially taking the Spurs job is going to ask even more questions about it than before Nuno joined.

BobbyD likes this.
  20. District Line

District Line Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I agree with you entirely but what makes Nuno different is that he was, IMO, the wrong appointment and wrong fit for the club. It's like if you go into Tesco and pick up a Snickers bar instead of Mars, there's nothing wrong going straight back into the shop and asking to exchange it.

ENIC/Levy going isn't realistic mid-season, but the next best thing they can do is start negotiating with Conte and get him in next season. 2/3 years of Conte would lay down the groundwork for someone who fits the THFC philosophy to take over and succeed. I'm not a great fan of Conte, but he's a brilliant manager when it comes to rebuilding a squad and instilling a winning mentality.