1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Postecoglou & Lange (& Paratici) Watch

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Dier Hard, Apr 19, 2021.

?

Next gaffer, who's your preference?

1. Arne Slot

2. Ruben Amorim

3. Luis Enrique

4. Ange Postocoglou

5. Brendan Rodgers

6. Graham Potter

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

I am not over the moon about Nuno, but to say he is just the cheap option and ticks no boxes is a little unfair in my opinion.

He has out performed Potter by any measure that you care to use over the last 2 seasons.

Boxes ticked - premier league experienced, has the confidence to play young players (we are meant to have some decent ones), has left his last 2 clubs in a better position than when he joined, supposedly a good man manager.

I would love to have got a serial winner like Conte, but we had a serial winner in Mourinho and look where that got us.

2. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

From afar, well Bridgend anyway, I never wanted Mourinho, ever!!!

Like others here, Nuno wouldn't have been my first choice compared to Naglesman, Rogers or Conte, but they didn't want it, Nuno did, so that's a step up in my book.

Potter has fans on here but what has he really done besides getting Brighton to avoid relegation and he managed the Jack Barstewards which is not a good background in my book.

Nuno, apart from last season, where the fates conspired against them, did a great job at Wolves and got them playing with a level of fitness and passion that Spurs have lacked in the last year or so.

Hopefully he will bring some of his team with him to work alongside the remaining Spurs coaching staff to keep the Spurs ethos within the club. Also working with Paratici will, I hope, devolve some of the decision making from Levy. What is the point of Paratici otherwise?

Nuno did more with Wolves than Poch did at Southampton so hope he can replicate that with the better players at Spurs and enhance their fitness levels.

Oh yes, and keep Harry for another season at least. <ok>

Just a view from a Spurs fan of 60 years. Do I get a medal or something?

3. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Ok, forgetting the money side of possible appointments

Daniel Levy's own clear promise to the fans in May of a new head coach who would bring "free-flowing, attacking and entertaining" football - That man isn’t Nuno.

4. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

I think Nuno's a good choice. My main concern was he's another Mendes client but hopefully Levy has learned his lesson there.

5. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Nuno was second on Paratici's list

I do like how it took less than 24 hours to go from respecting the decision of the DoF (which people demanded) bringing in the manager (which people demanded) of his choosing rather than Levy's (which people demanded) to ****ting all over him all because of an arbitrary figure in Potter's contract which we should not be paying because, while Potter has potential, he isn't a manager who anyone can rightfully say they should be paying £20m for

And this is the point, which managers are worth paying £20m compensation for? At the very least they would need to be regularly qualifying for the Champions League for that fee to be reasonable, and has Potter done that? Has he even qualified for the Europa League? At that point £20m is too much to pay for a punt

6. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

But no-one knows who is the better manager. If the club preferred Potter by about 1% and he cost 50m more there would be a tiny chance of getting a return on that 50m which might be better spent on players.
    That's the calculation any sensible club would do unless they had unlimited funds.

The Huddlefro likes this.
  7. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Banging on about a great squad

We've been here before haven't we

The puppets are in place

Let's go!

8. LockStock

LockStock Well-Known Member

In fairness to Nuno, he was ripping up the league before the Covid situation and Wolves were punching above their weight often.

We could do a lot worse than him, and the options are limited.

Now, it's all about how the transfer window pans out. I hope we have some positive surprises before the season restarts.

9. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

There's little evidence of harmony, agreement or conviction in the appointment of Nuno for 2 seasons. It screams division, doubt, uncertainty and temporary.

Let's say it straight...Cheap to hire and cheap to fire. That's his role.

Lovearsenalcock and KingHotspur like this.
  10. audrey.s.thackeray

audrey.s.thackeray Well-Known Member

Nuño Espirito Santo? That's not a name - that's a blessing!!!!!
    (Maybe he's in disguise?!) :bandit:

11. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

What's Mason doing this year?

12. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

Back to his youth team role as I understand it.

13. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Controlling the British crown and keeping Atlantis off maps, probably.

14. KingHotspur

I agree the positive of Nuno being appointed is that Paratici has changed Levy’s mind as Nuno wasn’t a candidate before he arrived.

Personally I’m disappointed in the appointment but I guess time will tell. To me it’s a cheap short term fix and that’s all.

15. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Fans should at least wait until we watch the team play before deciding that imo

16. KingHotspur

Im just going by past Nuno teams, he’s been around for a while so isn’t suddenly going to change his methods.

17. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

I guess that’s the point, he has been around for a while and the 3 at the back, attritional style was something he did at Wolves, not his previous jobs. I wouldn’t be surprised if he does 3 at the back here too but I’d expect us to focus more on possession and situational pressing rather than the counter attacking focus he mainly had in the PL with Wolves.

18. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

Agreed. We'll never know the full extent of his plans for Wolves' second stage of evolution after 2 years establishing them as a PL side, as last year was ruined by injury before it got going.

One thing I will say is that his dealings in the market seem to be far more fruitful than our own. And yes, there is no doubt the whole dodgy Mendes thing helped him enormously, but there is still a gap to bridge in making sure you sign the right player for the right role and at the right price.

Jonny, Jota, Pedro Neto, Boly, Patricio, Moutinho, Dendoncker and even Jimenez were all well worth the money spent on them and slotted in pretty much immediately to improve the side. The only two signings in recent years that stand out as failures were Cutrone and Silva.

7 successes, 2 flops is a very decent ROI and precisely the opposite ratio to our own transfer activity in recent years.

19. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

I enjoyed watching wolves in their first 2 seasons in the Premier League... particularly in the first season. They were simply outstanding at Wembley against us

LockStock and The Huddlefro like this.
  20. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

U18s

...actually, technically he's had a promotion, as his official title is Head of Coaching (U17-U23)

Have we sacked Wayne Burnett or something?