1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Postecoglou & Lange (& Paratici) Watch

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Dier Hard, Apr 19, 2021.

?

Next gaffer, who's your preference?

1. Arne Slot

2. Ruben Amorim

3. Luis Enrique

4. Ange Postocoglou

5. Brendan Rodgers

6. Graham Potter

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I’m glad in the sense we’ve got Nuno rather than Rafa. No doubt Rafa has had a very good career but I think he’s in that stage, similar to Jose, where his heyday has gone. It’s pretty telling Rafa’s last two jobs were Newcastle and Dalian in China.

Wolves may not be a glamorous team to get a manager from but I’d say (despite good funding) he done a solid enough job, par for the course and that he’s now likely looking for a step up to further prove his credentials.

The fact he was seemingly 2nd on Paratici’s shortlist is also a decent sign that Fabio is indeed getting what he wants and not just being a yes man to Levy.

Time will now tell though if Fabio and Nuno know what they’re doing, hopefully Levy does give them free reign so to speak along with a budget for Fabio to use and then we can judge down the line.

BobbyD likes this.
  2. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

So by bringing up that titbit about ten Hag I may have stumbled into one obvious question: who are the rest of our coaching team? Or, to put it another way: where are the rest of our coaching team?

As things currently stand, we have Nigel Gibbs and Michel Vorm as interim AssMan and GK coach and that's the extent of our coaching staff

3. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Agree he’s a better choice than Vieira but I would have took Benitez over Nuno if it’s only for 2 seasons. Both play defensive football but at least Rafa has won major trophies and managed big players.

Nuno to me just seems the cheap option and a manager who is so grateful to be in such a big job that he won’t rock the boat and make any requests.

4. humanbeingincroydon

The one thing I will say (and think I have said) about Benitez is, in hindsight, he probably would have been a better decision than the ubermensch. Obviously the quality of football would have been similarly dull, but there wouldn't have been anywhere near the toxic influence in the dressing room and the ship would have been steadier

In terms of what Nuno can bring, one thing I certainly hope to see is some quality fitness coaches brought in so the players are able to maintain their workrate, because of the many things that were problematic last season was how our players looked dead on their feet by the 75th minute in so many games and the inevitable late goals that came with it. If he gets our players capable of playing whistle to whistle, which his Wolves teams were certainly capable of before injuries bit, that's the sort of baseline we should be hitting first and foremost

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  5. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Ledley King and Ryan Mason are still on the staff surely

6. humanbeingincroydon

Mason's with the academy while Ledders is a first team assistant

We're certainly lacking numbers for the main coaching team

7. KingHotspur

Odds on new coaches being unemployed and probably Portuguese <laugh>

8. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

I’d say he did better than make par with Wolves. Stomped the Championship and consecutive top 7 finishes with Wolves is nothing to sniff at. Last season they had a torrid time with injuries and had sold multiple key players and I don’t think the replacements had the best time of it for various reasons either.

It’s clearly a step up for him here but as I think you said, his track record is arguably better than Poch’s was when he got the job. Obviously we’re a different club now and the perception of Nuno will in part depend on him adapting his style of football to Spurs (judging him on style and results then, no pressure!) but I’m excited to see what he does with us.

On coaches, any word on that front, actually? With Fonseca we were looking to add coaches but in part that was because his assistant had just left his team to go take a more senior role elsewhere. Are Nuno’s gang coming to us too?

9. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I see

The Everton owners made a choice their fans are not happy with therefore we should recognise that Levy has our best interests at heart

got it

makes sense

10. KingHotspur

It’s crazy how people twist things to fit their agenda.

Apparently Nuno is up and coming and overachieved with Wolves.

Why can’t people just admit that once again Spurs have opted for the cheap option (apparently paying £20million compensation for Potter was too expensive)

11. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What has Potter done to make him worth £20m more than NES, though?
    I'm not exactly overwhelmed by the appointment, but I wouldn't have been thrilled with Potter, either.

12. humanbeingincroydon

Paying £20m for somebody who fights relegation most seasons sounds like a good bargain, does it?

But of course, you're not twisting things to suit your agenda, especially as it's been pointed out several times Bayern had to pay £15m for Nagelsmann who it can be said is deserving of that sort of fee...

13. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Tbh a significant number of fans have had enough.

Me and my girls got two invites to declare an interest in getting season tickets. We ignored the deadline cos we can't afford three STs.

Yesterday, we received emails telling us that we could apply for them.

We have jumped 3000 places on the ST waiting list in less than a year.

I will support Nuno at games (just like I got behind JM, AVB, Sherwood etc) but that don't mean I think it's a good choice.

I only hope he surprises me like Pochettino did but I suspect I will be disappointed.

14. KingHotspur

If potter was the choice then the compensation shouldn’t have put them off. If they deemed him not worth £20million (peanuts in the footballing world) then why target him in the first place?

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  15. KingHotspur

DNA DNA DNA

Definitely been told what to say just like Mason was

16. humanbeingincroydon

Potter wasn't the choice, though. He was third or fourth on the list. Nagelsmann, who was top of the list, would have cost £15m in compensation is the point where
    a.) Brighton's compensation demands start to look absurd
    b.) Arguing over and over again that we should have paid £20m for a coach who was always going to be a punt looks absurd

There is no way that anyone can claim that Graham Potter is a manager worth paying £20m in compensation for and expect to be taken seriously

17. KingHotspur

Potter was 3rd or 4th choice? Okay that still makes him more wanted by Spurs than Nuno who’s probably 7th or 8th choice.

£20million isn’t a lot of money in football these days, if Spurs wanted Potter then they should have paid off Brighton. Instead they’ve gone for the cheap option and for a manager they didn’t want as much.

That’s not me saying who’s worth what, just saying I don’t agree that the only reason they didn’t persue a higher target was because of £20million.

18. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

They have to pay him as well you know. This is the standard argument against Levy...that we always need to pay whatever the seller asks and always need to accept whatever the buyer bids and the difference is a pittance. It's surely a better strategy to have your own valuation and walk away if it can't be agreed.

19. KingHotspur

At what cost though? Paying a bit of compensation for a better manager (Potter seemed more rated by Spurs than Nuno) surely works out better long term because you would expect the better manager to get better League positions and prize money etc

20. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

There is no question this has all been one almighty cock up. Sacking Maureen as late as we did meant Nagelsmann (who in all honesty would've had the least opposition from fans) was off the table, and we clearly (and stupidly) had no plan B.

Conte unexpectedly became a plan B that would again unite most fans in support, but once that was off the table the remaining options all carried huge question marks albeit for different reasons.

Poch was an act of desperation that pretty much openly admitted we'd made a total pig's ear of it all.

Fonseca and Gattuso had HUGE question marks over them, not least of all their lack of PL experience.

That left Benitez, who I agree is yesterday's man, Potter and Nuno.

I would have preferred Potter or Nuno over any of the above options apart from Nagelsmann or Conte, Poch included.

Of the two, Potter was my vote but solely because of his style of football. Objectively, Nuno is the more experienced manager and has accomplished significantly more in the PL.

I get fans criticism but it is all in the rear view mirror now. Nagelsmann and Conte didn't work. Everton and Palace's choices show that there is a real dearth of managerial talent out there and tbh we're probably making the most sensible choice in a very tricky state of play.