1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread Not606 2016 Italian Grand Prix Chat and Predictions

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by taeleon, Aug 30, 2016.

?

Take your pick for who will be walking away with the winners trophy.

Poll closed Sep 4, 2016.
  1. Lewis Hamilton

88.9%
  2. Nico Rosberg

5.6%
  3. Daniel Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sebastian Vettel

5.6%
  5. Kimi Raikkonen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Max Verstappen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Valtteri Bottas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sergio Perez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Nico Hulkenberg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other please state in bold in the thread.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. taeleon

taeleon Well-Known Member

We've only just got done with Belgium and are already having to think about Monza, I do love these back to back race weekends. No withdrawel symptons this weekend.

Who's your pick for this one?

please log in to view this image

Capacity
    : 113,860
    FIA Grade: 1
    Major events:
    FIA Formula One
    Italian Grand Prix
    Italian motorcycle Grand Prix,
    1000 km Monza,
    WTCC,
    SBK,
    Race of Two Worlds
    Length:5.793 km (3.6 mi)
    Turns: 11
    Most wins Grand Prix (drivers):
    Michael Schumacher (5)
    Most wins (constructors):
    Ferrari (19)
    Times:
    FRI 2nd SEP P1: 09:00
    FRI 2nd SEP P2: 13:00
    SAT 3rd SEP P3: 10:00
    SAT 3rd SEP QL: 13:00
    SUN 4th SEP RA: 13:00
    *All times are BST*

2015 results:

Current Championship:

Predictions Championship:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  2. moreinjuredthanowen

having seen the mistakes rosberg crack with last time at this... well.. Has to be hamilton here surely?

ched999uk likes this.
  3. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's got Merc written all over it, but a skinny Ferrari could throw a spanner in the works.

This will be the test for Hondas alleged improvement?

4. moreinjuredthanowen

i dunno here.

in theory this is an engine track. The red bulls and ferraris were close at spa though..

5. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Great work with the threads by the way, much appreciated how you've stepped up to do them!

ched999uk, taeleon and Smithers like this.
  6. taeleon

taeleon Well-Known Member

Thanks :) It's not to bad, I keep a template for the info now. The worst part for me is trying to post it just before 1pm (for 1pm races) so the poll closes just before the race starts. xD I missed it last week so had to do it in hours instead of days as I was out the rest of the day haha.

DHCanary likes this.
  7. moreinjuredthanowen

love monza. real blast with a couple passing opportunities.

If theres no engine drama to worry about there is the first chicane here for max to plank himself again.

8. JonnyBaws

JonnyBaws Well-Known Member

Want to see a clean first corner/1st lap.
    We get that, then we should see a pretty good race throughout the field..
    One thing is for certain, Max better not try any funny moves when defending his position, he got away with it at his "home" race, don't think the Italians will allow such moves to go unpunished!

9. moreinjuredthanowen

If he touches a ferrari.. and lets face it thats the most likely outcome here given the relative grid positions then... well... he may not get out of the track alive.

Its perfectly set up for a first corner ding dong.

But... the pressure is now back on rosberg who has a good start last weekend cos he's no pressure on him.. I could see a mercedes being in that first corner scrap and coming a cropper either.

The thing about it is theres places to drive off too here in theory to avoid carnage so if someone tries to plough down the inside they really only have themselves to blame.

10. JonnyBaws

JonnyBaws Well-Known Member

If a position can be made up on the first lap, corner, then these guys will go for it, its the way they're programmed.
    But, given the nature of this track, where overtaking is possible, still hard, but possible, would be best to bide their time and make a move when less risk is involved and/or wait until the pitstops to under cut the driver ahead..
    Redbull be running a very skinny wing, think Ferrari will trim theres out too, but given the grunt of the Merc, can see them, still being the team to beat, gone for Hamilton, just, to win this, could the Ferrari's and/or Redbull's get inbetween him and Rosberg? Doubt it..

11. moreinjuredthanowen

yes I think they have to have a go at that first corner. Its up to the stewards and race control to set up the first corner and where you have to rejoin track if you miss it properly.

I think the second chicane is a good spot.

I think everyone ill be virtually no wing here. so i do think in the heavy braking zones a lock up could be very costly with flat spots.

Rosberg folded here before, he missed chicanes, Hamilton brakes hard on the front wheels so he could lock up and that could be crucial.... in my rudementary understanding of it.

I am going to be watching that first corner. I think if hamilton is through it first its race over. If rosberg is its going to make an interesting battle of wits.

If verstappen doesn't hit anyone i'll be amazed... maybe that car just has a ferrari magnet and he'll get put down in toro rosso beside kvyat as a result ;)

funny how mr riccardo never hits cars and has the better results i suppose.

12. happyal

happyal Active Member

Lewis is going to walk away at the front and cruise here I fear, pretty much everything is now in his favour and Nico will really need to fight hard to even have a chance. I just don't think he has it in him. From now until he wins the championship, I think ever race will be a Lewis win :( I pray I'm wrong.

13. Sportista

Sportista Well-Known Member

Can't think of a single reason why Hamilton won't win this.

14. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

15. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Interesting point, when Kvyatt was driving it he also seemed to hit a lot of Ferrari's too!

16. moreinjuredthanowen

So hamilton took a new ICU and the rest last week. How old is rosbergs engine?

I do think that when it comes to Q3 the engine with that extra horsepower will prove crucial. I think all things being equal hamilton should take pole if this is the case. Then its down to corner 1.

17. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Pace wise Hamilton has Rosberg well in his pocket. When was the last time he won without a penalty/crash/mechanical issue hindering Lewis? Really the only question is whether Lewis can get clean weekends consistently between now and the end of the season.

18. moreinjuredthanowen

since he got the blame rosberg has dropped off. rosberg has been on pole but messed up his starts so i don't think its pace.. its one guy is a racer and one guy cracks under pressure.

19. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Ferrari bringing an engine upgrade apparantly.

Chance to close the gap or just some cobblers to feed the tifosi with?

20. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/125967/ferrari-brings-upgraded-engine-to-monza

Ferrari is set to introduce an upgraded Formula 1 engine for this weekend's Italian Grand Prix, Autosport understands.

The Italian outfit has three development tokens remaining and has been working hard at Maranello to get an update ready for its home race at Monza.

It is believed Ferrari is not expecting huge gains from the update but it is hopeful it will be a small step forward as well as aiding development for next season.

Kimi Raikkonen and Sebastian Vettel are expected to run the new spec during Friday practice.

Customer team Haas will also fit the updated unit to both Romain Grosjean's and Esteban Gutierrez's cars.

However, Ferrari's other customer Sauber is set to stick with its current power unit package because of where it stands in its current cycle of engine components.

Ferrari's upgrade comes a week after Mercedes used five tokens on upgrading its power unit for the Belgian Grand Prix.

It is unclear at this stage how many tokens have been spent or which areas of the power unit have been upgraded for this weekend.