1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich v Bristol City

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Jan 20, 2021.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

MansionBet Match Preview: Norwich City (A)
    Tuesday, January 19th 2021

A midweek trip to Carrow Road live on Sky Sports awaits City as they go in search of putting an unbeaten run together.

In partnership with MansionBet, here’s a preview ahead of our next fixture...

City have enjoyed a winning start in 2021 after back-to-back victories over Portsmouth in the Emirates FA Cup and a first win over Preston North End for 10 years at the weekend.

City were largely in control against the Lilywhites, limiting Preston to very little and another goal for Famara Diédhiou, an impressive return from Kasey Palmer and a first league goal for Zak Vyner were just some of the headlines from a good day out in BS3.

A trip to Carrow Road against an in-form Norwich side is their reward, and with confidence high there might be no better time to face Daniel Farke’s side. It has actually been 11 years since City last beat the Canaries, who are currently flying high at the top of the Championship, so can Dean Holden’s men put an end to the barren run after lifting the Preston curse on Saturday?

Norwich had won once in their first five games in all competitions but they have hit the ground running since, losing only twice since start of December.

And unbeaten in their last four, including the Emirates FA Cup, they held on to beat 10-man Cardiff City on Saturday after former Robin Marlon Pack was sent off for the Bluebirds.

There are goals in this Norwich side, with Teemu Pukki - though ruled out of this fixture through injury - and Emiliano Buendia returning 18 of the team's 35 goals in all competitions. Buendia is also one of their creative talents with six assists to his name. In fact, the pair proved deadly in the reverse fixture when Norwich ran out 3-1 winners in BS3. The Robins were susceptible to the direct ball on that occasion and will look to have learned those lessons.

As for the Robins. this is a first trip to Carrow Road since February 2019. It was an afternoon which ended in a 3-2 defeat with Norwich ultimately going on to win promotion to the top flight that season, but it was Callum O’Dowda’s wonderful solo goal which stood out that afternoon.

Supporters are reminded that the match livestream will only available on Robins TV to Season Card holders, due to Sky Sports' broadcast rights.

MATCH DETAILS
    Where: Carrow Road
    When: Wednesday, January 20th, 6pm KO
    Competition: Sky Bet Championship

Referee: James Linington
    Assistants: Lee Venamore and Robert Hyde
    Fourth official: Charles Breakspear

DOWN MEMORY LANE
    Norwich City 1-2 Bristol City
    Ashton Gate
    Saturday, February 7th 2009
    Championship

Cole Skuse and Bradley Orr struck the last time the Robins beat the Canaries at Carrow Road in 2009.

Norwich captain Gary Doherty was sent off for a crude challenge on Dele Adebola.

The dismissal proved decisive as the Canaries were unable to regain a foothold in the game.

For Gary Johnson’s side, this was their fourth consecutive league victory in the Championship.

HEAD TO HEAD*
    Norwich City v Bristol City

Played: 73
    City won: 20 (27.3%)
    Drew: 18
    City lost: 35

Bristol City goals: 34
    Norwich goals: 38

Bristol City top goalscorers: Nahki Wells (5)
    Norwich top goalscorer: Teemu Pukki (11)

Bristol City most assists: Antoine Semenyo (6)
    Norwich most assists: Emiliano Buendia (6)

Bristol City clean sheets: 9
    Norwich clean sheets: 8

League positions
    Bristol City: 9th (36 points)
    Norwich: 1st (50 points)

*All competitions unless stated

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/mansionbet-match-preview-norwich-city-a/

The Gaffer ~ https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/belief-and-confidence-key-for-holden/

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

3. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

These are usually way off, but this would be a very attacking team to go away to the league leaders, it will go one of two ways...... Semenyo and Palmer in the same side, I fear poor old Adam Nagy will have his legs run off covering the middle of the park.

4. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

I would say nothing to lose here, Norwich try to outscore teams but even against us looked dodgy at the back, bear in mind we missed a penalty and several sitters.

Only Reading, Stoke and us in the top 9 have shipped in more goals.

Go for it, having said that I suspect either Semenyo or Palmer might start on the bench, who knows?

5. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

usually get 3 wrong at best 4 … never seen a right one yet!

Red Squid likes this.
  6. realred1952

as an after thought …. maybe the head coach see's it and thinks to himself " he aint telling me what my team is I will prove him wrong again"

7. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

I had a twitter conversation with BristolPost's Gregor Mcgregor last week.

He said he is definitely kept at arms length by BCFC and when asked about the relationship after his rehab medical team story.

I asked "are you not flavour of month" his reply was "that is pretty accurate assumption".

8. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I expect us to be comprehensively whipped at this game.
    Mind you; I thought we'd beat Reading and Rotherham, so hopefully I get this one just as badly wrong.........

9. Supcon72

upload_2021-1-20_17-1-34.png
    Pretty close from the post..

Jiffie likes this.
  10. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

I think that selection is about right, might be an idea to tell Palmer go for it in the first 45 minutes and replace him pretty much like for like with Semenyo.

11. realred1952

just 1 wrong

12. Supcon72

We are being totally dominated, if it wasn't for Kalas and Bentley, we'd be 3 or 4 down by now. A lot of talk on this site about our identity over the past few seasons, but we are nowhere further on it seems, I have seen zero identity this season, save for turgid sideways and backwards passing....

13. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

We have been like that for 2.5 seasons, exactly the same.

Tonight Norwich have totally exposed our 2 crappy full backs, Rowe seems to think that he is a 3rd centre back, they have certainly targeted Rowe he has been awful and Hunt has been no better.

Diedhiou is so frustrating some of his play has been great but he is so reactive, how many times does the ball get passed up to him and he stands still waiting for it's arrival and the defender marking him takes several steps up and cuts the ball out.

Bentley, Kalas, Mawson and Nagy our best players.

14. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Disappointed with Palmer. Where’s Semenyo?

15. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Started off well enough for the first 15 minutes, even defensively, also disappointed with Vyner needs to be more proactive.

16. Supcon72

All this from a team who were absolutely blown away in the Prem last season. SL needs to figure out what he wants for the club, and fast!!

upload_2021-1-20_19-3-13.png

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  17. Supcon72

This is dreadful, we can barely string 2 passes together. Fammy and Palmer are just walking around, no pressing, no urgency to their game, they don't preempt anything, then are caught on the back foot every time the ball comes to them...
    We have had more possession this half for sure, but all in the middle third, we have offered zero offensively; whereas, Norwich have looked like something could happen with every attack.
    I agree on Hunt and Rowe being found out, Hunt just hammers crosses over at full pelt, never looks to see who's in the box - which is usually nobody anyway. We need Wells on for Fammy ASAP, and see if Palmer can feed him in behind the defenders.

18. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Men v Boys.. without Bentley it would be a thrashing..

Supcon72 likes this.
  19. realred1952

finished my dinner and came up just a minute before Nakhi subbing …. hen 2-0 couldn't believe it timed it to see the last 15 -20 mins and...…………….

20. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Struggled to put two paces together..
    looked like a Norwich training session
    Probably their easiest game of the season. subs, no impact whatsoever. No shots on target says it all..