1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich City Versus Wigan Athletic

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Sep 12, 2016.

1. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Round 7
    Norwich City 2 - 1 Wigan Athletic

FT
    HT 2 - 0
    Murphy 3',11'
    Jordi Gómez 72'

Attendance: 25,992

Date: Tuesday 13th September 2016
    Venue: Carrow Road
    Kick-Off: 07:45PM

Referee: Keith Stroud
    Assistants: Matt Foley and David Avent
    Fourth Official: Gavin Ward

KIO's not606 Match Preview

After a nail biting finale at the weekend against Cardiff City which saw the Canaries edge out the Bluebirds by three goals to two, Norwich City welcome Gary Caldwell’s Wigan Athletic to Carrow Road tomorrow evening in Round 7 of the Sky Bet EFL Championship season. City’s win on Saturday lifted them into fifth position in the table just a solitary point behind Newcastle United who currently occupy the second promotion spot.

Cameron Jerome celebrates his goal against the Bluebirds

After bouncing back to the Championship after just one season back in League One Wigan have struggled so far this term with just one win from their six league games, subsequently the Latics find themselves in 21st place in the league standings level on points with Leeds United in 22nd.
    City boss Alex Neil has reported that Robbie Brady could be available for selection, the Republic of Ireland international lasted just 12 minutes of Saturday's 3-2 home win over Cardiff before having to leave the field of play through injury. Neil has confirmed it is not as bad as first feared although he is still a "major doubt", with Martin Olsson now ready to return from a hamstring problem the Swede will probably return at left back as an able replacement.

Robbie Brady lasted just 12 minutes before sustaining a quad injury against Cardiff

Alex Pritchard is pushing for a start after an impressive substitute performance at the weekend while new signing Nelson Oliveira is still not considered match fit so is unlikely to make the starting eleven.

Wigan are sweating on the fitness of summer signing Nick Powell, the forward was withdrawn just before half-time in Saturday's 2-1 defeat to Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough with what appeared to be a groin strain.

Transfer Deadline-day recruit Nathan Byrne may make his debut for the Latics, he is yet to appear at all this season as boss Gary Caldwell has felt he has been behind fitness-wise.

Nathan Byrne

Reece James (ankle), Andy Kellett (knee), Kyle Knoyle (elbow) and Donervon Daniels (knee), all remain sidelined.

Alex Neil's Match Preview

Alex Neil previews tomorrow night's game

"We need to stay focussed and ensure that we work from the first minute until the last minute.”

"We want to make sure we go and follow Saturday up with another good victory. It's important that we go into this game with a bit of confidence and hopefully put in a good performance.”

“They [Wigan] have made a stuttering start to the new campaign, however, losing their last three matches including Saturday's 2-1 reverse at Sheffield Wednesday.”

"I know Gary well. He did extremely well last year in getting Wigan promoted.”

"The brand of football he wants to play is really expansive. He wants his team to be brave and get the ball out and play, and I think that's the right way you'd want your team to play, but it becomes more difficult when you don't get the results you desire.”

"They're in that phase at the moment and we want to make sure it continues for one more game.”

"We've watched pretty much all of their games, and the Sheffield Wednesday game was significantly different to their other matches and it wouldn't surprise me if that gets repeated at Carrow Road.”

Gary Caldwell’s Match Preview

Latics boss Gary Caldwell gives his thoughts

“We’ll be going to Norwich to win, we always set up that way, regardless of what kind of run we’re on. As a player you have to adopt a mentality of putting defeats to the back of your mind and try to perform and win the game. It will be a tough challenge, but I believe this group of players can go there and perform.”

“Saturday was the first time this season I feel we’ve been beaten by a team that’s been better than us in none of the other games have we been outplayed by the opposition, we have to learn from that and come back stronger on Tuesday. There’s no panic – the effort and application is there – and we have to get back to being ourselves, every game in this league is a test. I think already this season we’ve seen that it doesn’t matter who you are or where you’ve come from, you can get results.”

“Teams like Burton and Barnsley have shown that smaller clubs can win games at this level, and we have to play the way we want to and get results to take us up there with those teams. “Man for man, they shouldn’t be where they are, but they are because they are playing their way – and that’s what we have to do.”

“When you come down from the Premier League, you do so with a lot of quality players, they have a lot of threats, mainly high up the pitch – similar to Sheffield Wednesday – and we have to be ready to deal with that. But it’s not about defending and trying to stop their attacking players, it’s about controlling the game with the ball and we’ll be aiming to do that.

“I think he’s [Neil] an excellent manager who’s helping fly the flag for Scottish managers again, at a time when Scottish managers were beginning to drift out of English football, he came in from Hamilton – where he’d done a fantastic job – and dragged Norwich into the play-offs and into the Premier League. He’s somebody I have a huge amount of respect for, having done the pro-licence together, and it’ll be great to see him on the night”

Current Form (Last 5 Competitive Fixtures – Most Recent First)

Norwich City

WLWDW

NORWICH HOME

Norwich have won 40%, drawn 25% and lost 35% of their last 20 home games.

In their last 20 home games against teams positioned in the bottom half of the table, Norwich have won 13, drawn 4 and lost 3 of these matches.

In their last 20 home games against teams positioned below them in the table, Norwich have won 15, drawn 2 and lost 3 of these matches.

Wigan Athletic

LLLDW

WIGAN AWAY

Wigan have won 45%, drawn 35% and lost 20% of their last 20 away games.

In their last 20 away games against teams positioned in the top half of the table, Wigan have won 5, drawn 5 and lost 10 of these matches.

In their last 20 away games against teams positioned above them in the table, Wigan have won 5, drawn 3 and lost 12 of these matches.

MATCH STATISTICS www.kickoff.co.uk

Match History

Although formed in 1932 Wigan Athletic have only been members of the Football League since 1978, subsequently there have only been 11 competitive fixtures between these two sides. The first time they met was on 31st January 1987 in a 4th Round FA Cup tie at Springfield Park which the Latics won 1-0. Overall Norwich have beaten Wigan 5 times, drawn 3 and lost 3. City’s best win was on 22nd September 1998 at Springfield Park in the Football League Cup when they beat Wigan by 3 goals to 2. All of Wigan’s three victories over the Canaries have been by 1 goal to nil and at three different venues. Their second win over City was at the DW Stadium their new home on 30th March 2013 in the Premier League, their third was at Carrow Road on 4th March 2015 in the Championship (2nd tier)

Highest Norwich City Score

Wigan Athletic 2 Norwich City 3

Highest Wigan Athletic Score

Wigan Athletic 1 Norwich City 0
    Wigan Athletic 1 Norwich City 0
    Norwich City 0 Wigan Athletic 1

Highest Aggregate (5)

Wigan Athletic 2 Norwich City 3

Club Connections

Matt Jackson

Those that have turned out for both the Canaries and the Latics include:

Leon Barnett, John Benson, Wayne Biggins, Mark Bowen, Carl Bradshaw, Paul Cook, Paul Dalglish, Damien Francis, Grant Holt, Matt Jackson, Jason Jarrett, Carlo Nash, Rob Newman (Wigan loan) and Antoine Sibierski (Norwich loan).

Wayne Biggins whose goals helped the Canaries and the Latics
    win promotion in 1986 and 1997 respectively

Did you know?

Ex Norwich striker Keith Bertschin was once Wigan’s reserve team coach.

Legendary Canaries boss John Bond once did scouting work for the Latics.

John Bond
    Former City Milk Cup Winner Steve Bruce has managed Wigan on two occasions.

After quitting as Norwich manager in April 1995, John Deehan took over the manager’s post at Wigan the following November.

Much maligned Canaries boss Brian Hamilton also managed Wigan.

Another to take up the reigns at Wigan after managing the Canaries was Bruce Rioch.

City Captain Dave Watson lifts the Milk Cup Trophy aloft at Wembley in 1985

Former Norwich Captain Dave Watson joined the Latics as Youth Team Coach in April 2008.

TEAM LINE UPS:

SUBS: Ruddy (GK), Bassong, Mulumbu, Lafferty,
    Pritchard, Bennett, Jo. Murphy.

Listen to full match commentary on
    BBC Radio Norfolk

95.1 / 104.4FM, 855kHz AM & DAB Digital Radio

With Chris Goreham

.... and Guest Match Summariser Darren Eadie

Don’t forget to tune in to ‘Canary Call’
    post match with Darren and Rob Butler

OT
    C

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  2. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Impressive stuff KIO, especially so soon after the Saturday game. Let's hope for another 3 points.

KIO likes this.
  3. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Started this in my lunch hour today Braveheart, then sat down at 6:00PM this evening to finish it. It's now 10:00PM so I think I'd better have some nose bag before bedtime <cheers>

JM Fan likes this.
  4. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

Fantastic thread again KIO <ok>

5. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Well done Rich, fantastic stuff yet again! <applause>

Just one thing, if that pic of Robbie Brady is from Saturday's match, he appears to be holding his hamstring. AN reported it as a problem with his hip!

6. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Wow! Nice one KIO! Great effort for a midweeker!

7. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

8. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Game Day !

Midweek footy is the only thing I like about this division <ok>

9. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Ditto, darts night isn't the same when we're in the PL and all the Derby and Forest fans I'm playing with have game updates going on.

Bah!

JM Fan likes this.
  10. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Great job yet again, KIO, and it's much appreciated! <ok> Here's a couple more items of interest from the BBC:
    • Cameron Jerome has scored with all three of his shots on target in the Championship this season.
    • On three of the last four occasions the Canaries have had more than 10 points in their opening six games of a season, they have gone to win promotion to the top-flight (2003-04, 2010-11 and 2014-15).

Let's hope that holds true this year!

Cornish Canary and KIO like this.

11. Forgot_My_Lines

12. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

13. Forgot_My_Lines

14. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Evening Guys, OP updated with team line ups and match summariser ......

.................... Let's do this COYY ! <party>

15. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

KIO likes this.
  16. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Gridlock on A47 at Postwick due to serious accident and it doesn't sound good at all.

Air ambulance called, kick-off might be delayed

17. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

BBC Radio Norfolk now saying accident could knock a few thousand off crowd this evening. Of course Football becomes insignificant in these situations, I just hope that there haven't been any fatalities :emoticon-0107-sweat

18. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Darren Eadie just said on radio Norfolk "I can understand why Naismith has been dropped, because this season he's been poor"
    So it ain't just me then <ok>

19. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Nope, it's you, me, ILD and now AN <ok>

The fact that we've squandered circa £17M on two donkeys makes my blood boil <grr>

20. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member