1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich City v Swindon Town - CARABAO CUP SPECIAL

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Aug 8, 2017.

?

Predict The Result

Poll closed Aug 9, 2017.
  1. Canaries Win

100.0%
  2. Robins Win

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Stalemate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Round 1

Norwich City 3 - 2 Swindon Town
    FT
    HT 3 - 1​
    Jerome 27' Hoolahan 39' Maddison 42'​
    Lancashire 25' Mullin 62'​
    Attendance: 13,166

Referee: Geoff Eltringham
    Assistant Referees: Steven Meredith & Lee Venamore
    Fourth Official: Alan Dale

Date: Tuesday 8th August 2017
    Venue: Carrow Road
    Kick-Off: 07:45PM

KIO’s Match Preview

This evening Norwich City welcome Swindon Town to Carrow Road in Round 1 of the newly named ‘Carabao Cup’. City Head Coach Daniel Farke will undoubtedly make changes to the eleven that started this season’s Championship opener at Craven Cottage on Saturday and could even hand a debut to midfielder Marco Stiepermann his most recent acquisition from VfL Bochum.

Marco Stiepermann

Canaries Club Captain Russell Martin will most likely be rested after needing a pain-killing injection in his leg prior to Saturday's draw at Fulham while Steven Naismith is still serving a suspension. Wes Hoolahan and Ivo Pinto could return for Norwich but Defenders Jamal Lewis and Harry Toffolo are still sidelined.

Luke Norris misses out with a dislocated shoulder

Swindon striker Luke Norris dislocated his shoulder scoring Town’s opening goal in their 2-1 win over Carlisle Saturday so is definitely out and it’s unknown at present just how long for. Robins boss David Flitcroft gave debuts to six players at the weekend namely Ben Purkiss, Olly Lancashire, Chris Hussey, James Dunne, Amine Linganzi and Paul Mullin. Fellow new arrivals Chris Robertson and Harry Smith were among the substitutes Saturday but will probably make their first starts for this one.

Daniel Farke’s Match Preview

Daniel Farke on Nelson Oliveira, Fulham and Swindon

“It’s always about finding the right balance when you play three games in seven days.”

“It’s always a little bit tricky. For me, even if it’s a league game or a cup game, it’s always the same – I want to win the game."

“I want to win each and every game in each and every competition. This game is a high priority for me and especially in the beginning of the season, it’s quite important that the team finds their rhythm."

“I don’t believe in too many changes between games, especially in the beginning of the season because the team has to find their rhythm."

“For sure, there will be some changes because we had just two days between the games. Fulham was a really tough and hard game with a high intensity so we have to make changes but without losing our focus and our balance.”

“I think he [Stiepermann] could be in the squad.”

“With Tom [Trybull], he needs one or two weeks for his physical condition. His contract ended in June and he was just doing the first period of pre-season by himself so he needs some more training with the group."

“He [Russell Martin] played with a lot of pain and some injections but he showed a great attitude. We have to think about whether it’s the right decision to bring him on the pitch tomorrow after such a hard game [against Fulham]. If I’m honest, I’m thinking about giving him a little break because when you get older you need a little time to recreate."

“Wes [Hoolahan] is a little bit further on because he played Saturday and had that brilliant assist for Nelson’s goal. Normally they [Wes and Ivo Pinto] would need a little bit longer but they also need some minutes."

“We only have two days between the games and some guys need a rest after such a hard game. Wes and Ivo were so important last season and they’re going to be so important this season so we need them at 100% but they also need some minutes."

“[There is] no chance for Harry [Toffolo] and Jamal [Lewis]. They aren’t training with us so it will take some more time with them but I’m pleased that Ivo and Wes are improving day by day.”

David Flitcroft’s Match Preview

Robin's boss David Flitcroft gives his thoughts

“We’ve done quite a lot of work in the classroom on the Norwich game-plan and presenting to the group what we’re after in terms of shape.”

“The lads ran themselves into the ground for us on Saturday and we’ll see the impact of that."

“Partnerships right round the pitch is important and keeping players together is important."

“We’re not a big enough squad to give people different game time. There is so much honesty in this group which delights me and we’ll go to Norwich, try and give an honest performance and see where that takes us."

“We can only fight what is in-front of us and we can only play what is in-front of us and that’s what we’ll do come 7:45pm on Tuesday."

“We’ll try and commit to a game-plan and try and commit to each other again.”

“He’s a big boy [Harry Smith] and my job this season is to make sure that we make him play his size, he understands what his function is on the pitch and we get him fitter.”

“He’s still very, very young and when you see the size of him people forget that."

“He needs to be taught certain lines and body shape and how to dominate players with his size."

“He does want to score goals and we’ve got to look to keep improving him. Luke Norris edged it over pre-season, it was a fight-out between those two and Luke got the starting place."

“It is where you finish though and everyone who came on against Carlisle on Saturday made an impact."

“Conor Thomas’ last fifteen minutes was absolutely essential and he came on and did a job for the team, so it was important.”

Current Form (Last 6 Competitive Fixtures – Most Recent First)

Norwich City

DWDWWL

NORWICH HOME

Norwich have won 65%, drawn 15% and lost 20% of their last 20 home games.

Norwich have kept a clean sheet in 7 of their last 20 home games, going on to win 7 and draw 0 of these matches.

Norwich have failed to score in 1 of their last 20 home games, going on to draw 0 and lose 1 of these matches.

Swindon Town

WLLLDD

SWINDON AWAY

Swindon have won 20%, drawn 15% and lost 65% of their last 20 away games.

Swindon have kept a clean sheet in 3 of their last 20 away games, going on to win 2 and draw 1 of these matches.

Swindon have failed to score in 9 of their last 20 away games, going on to draw 1 and lose 8 of these matches.

MATCH STATISTICS www.kickoff.co.uk

Match History

The Canaries and The Robins first met in a competitive fixture way back on 26th February 1921 at Swindon’s County Ground in League Division Three (South) the match finishing 4-2 in the hosts favour.

Since then the two clubs have played each other a further 87 times with City chalking up 36 wins to Town’s 26, there have been 26 drawn games.

On 1st May 1922 in League Division Three (South) at The County Ground, Swindon thrashed The Canaries by 6 goals to 1 to record their biggest victory over the East Anglians to date. This is also the highest aggregate score between the two, however they have shared 7 goals on three other occasions:

7th February 1931 – Swindon Town 5 Norwich City 2 – League Division Three (South)

22nd October 1932 – Norwich City 5 Swindon Town 2 - League Division Three (South)

25th April 1959 – Swindon Town 4 Norwich City 3 – League Division Three

City put 5 past the Robins in 1998

City’s best win against Swindon thus far is 5-0 which was on 25th April 1998 at Carrow Road in League Division One.

Highest Norwich City Score

Norwich City 5 Swindon Town 0

Highest Swindon Town Score

Swindon Town 6 Norwich City 1

Highest Aggregate (7)

Swindon Town 6 Norwich City 1
    Swindon Town 5 Norwich City 2
    Norwich City 5 Swindon Town 2
    Swindon Town 4 Norwich City 3

Club Connections

Those to have turned out for both the Canaries and the Robins include:

Troy Archibald-Henville (Norwich loan), Trevor Benjamin (Norwich & Swindon loan), Ian Culverhouse, Jamie Cureton, Neale Fenn (Norwich & Swindon loan), Jake Keen (Swindon loan), Dean Marney (Swindon & Norwich loan), Chris Martin (Swindon loan), Anthony McNamee, Jacob Murphy (Swindon loan), Alex Pritchard (Swindon loan), Michael Rose (Norwich loan), Keith Scott, Mark Seagraves (Norwich loan), Jon Sheffield (Swindon loan), Louis Thompson, Harry Toffolo (Swindon loan), Owain Tudor-Jones (Swindon loan), Tony Warner (Swindon & Norwich loan) and Jim Whitley (Norwich & Swindon loan).​

Louis Thompson

Did You Know?

• Swindon were founded in 1879 as Swindon AFC and became Spartans in 1880 then Swindon Town in 1883

• Swindon’s home has been The County Ground since 1896

• On 5th September 1908 in a non-league fixture Swindon beat Norwich 10-2

• In season 1910–11, Swindon Town won the Southern League Championship earning them a Charity Shield match with Football League Champions Manchester United. This, the highest-scoring Charity Shield game to date, was played on 25 September 1911 at Stamford Bridge with Manchester United winning 8–4. Some of the proceeds of this game were later donated to the survivors of the Titanic disaster.

Peter Noble scores for Swindon in the 1969 League Cup Final
    • In 1969 Third Division Swindon Town defeated Arsenal 3-1 after extra time at Wembley to lift the Football League Cup.

• Swindon Town won promotion to the Premier League in the 1992–93 season, the only time the club has played in the top level of English football.

Lee Power in his City playing days
    • Former Norwich Striker Lee Power is the current owner and Chairman of Swindon Town.
    TEAM LINE UPS
    squad (1).jpg

LISTEN TO FULL MATCH COMMENTARY ON
    BBC RADIO NORFOLK

95.1/104.4FM, 855KhZ & DAB DIGITAL RADIO

With Chris Goreham

and guest match sumariser Cédric Anselin

....... and don't forget to tune into 'Canarycall' post match with Cédric and Rob Butler

OT
    C !

*For an optimum viewing experience of this thread please change
    default style to ‘grey alternative’ at the foot of this page.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  2. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

WHEEEY!!

Well done KIO. Great weeknight effort!

Will be at the game tonight. Will try and post if I have signal. I've gone for a City win. Will be really interesting to see the squad for tonight. Surely it will be debuts, but strong. Farke will want to make a strong start to prove his credentials. I'd be surprised to see all out changes and youth players tonight.

Saying that. I'd like to see Godfrey start, Josh start, Maybe Toffolo or Lewis at LB (it was him impressing at LB in pre-season wasn't it?)

KIO likes this.
  3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I'm hoping we might see Middleton get some game time and certainly some of the other under 23s. As you say FML the lineup is going to be interesting to say the least!!!

Pedant Alert as our Farking HC can't count - from 5th to 13th August is 9 days when you count both dates - NOT 7!! <doh>
    PS - Now on the bus and should be in the Bell in 15 minutes. <cheers>
    PPS - CRACKING thread KIO. <applause>

KIO likes this.
  4. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Ah, yes! He's another. Josh one wing, Middleton the other.

What's the Bell like Pre-match usually? Busy? How long to walk from there to the ground? Bit of a trek isn't it?

5. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I'm on table 90 above the Santander bank with 2 spare chairs and just ordered my 14 oz Aberdeen Angus with a pint of Golden Jackal.
    It's about ¾ of a mile, so 15 minutes and allow an extra 10 minutes if you have to collect tickets.

Forgot_My_Lines likes this.
  6. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Brilliant work Rich, right up there with your best efforts. Well done and thank you! <ok>

KIO likes this.
  7. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Evening Guys I see everyone has gone for a City win in the poll so far, cue a classic NCFC cock up ! ;)

canary-dave and JM Fan like this.
  8. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Feck me when Farke said he was taking this competition seriously he wasn't bl00dy kidding, that's a hell of a strong team !

No Oliveira ?? <whistle>

9. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just got in sorry if posted already

10. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Apology accepted :biggrin:

11. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

DF already knows that Nelson is a passionate Portuguese goalscorer / icon / demi-god.
    So he can afford to let him sit this one out and watch different permutations try and gel <ok>

12. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Subs now in ......................

13. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

<yikes>
    He'll be putting in a transfer request tomorrow!! <laugh>

14. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Reserves bench ain't too shabby.
    I'm starting to get goosebumps about this season.

15. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

And still no Basil!! <yikes>

16. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Steady on Cromer - it's not good for your 'dicky ticker' <laugh>

17. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Look, Grabban got almost two weeks of frosty treatment. (Deserved, btw)
    If Nelson gets one night - and it shuts twats like Jake Humphrey up, job done <ok>

18. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

I hope Jerome scores and runs up to Farke holding his shirt like a matador inviting the big greasy German to charge at it making bull horns with his fingers, before getting booked.

KIO likes this.
  19. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Team line up graphics added to the OP, no squad number for Stiepermann so he has the 'blood shirt' <laugh>

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  20. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

I don't care what Farke said in public, I reckon he's chewed Olive's balls off and rightly so <ok>