1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich City v Swansea City,Sat 7th Nov,ko 15.00hrs

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Bure budgie, Nov 5, 2020.

?

And the winner is

Poll closed Nov 8, 2020.
  1. City

58.3%
  2. Swans

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Draw

41.7%
  1. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

Top of the table clash.
    We should be good enough ,but need to show better finishing after poor show against Millwall

Canary Rob likes this.
  2. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

You've certainly been good enough, BB. Keep up the good work!<cheers>

Canary Rob and DUNCAN DONUTS like this.
  3. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

Was our finishing poor, or do you just mean we didn't score? Although we had 20 shots, only 1 was a big chance (i.e. a situation in which a goal would be scored more than 50% of the time). That was Emi's blocked second-half shot (min 72) rated 0.6 (i.e chance would be scored 60% of the time). The two next best chances (not big chances) were Placheta's first-half shot which hit the post, and Gibson's late effort from a corner which went into the side netting, both rated 0.3 (i.e. chances converted 30% of the time). All three efforts could have been better; but should they have been better, i.e. were they poor efforts?

4. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

Rob i'm impressed you have a stat for most situations! Though I think it's fair to say better finishing required (as @Bure budgie did) when we have... 27 shots with only 7 on target. Regardless of the situation, if a player is pulling the trigger and only 1 in 4 (just about) is on target, i'd say they could do better. Otherwise perhaps it's a question of decision making.

robbieBB likes this.
  5. robbieBB

<ok> "We need to finish better" is an over-worked, highly ambiguous, implicitly explanatory, phrase (implicitly explanatory because, instead of simply saying "we failed to score", it claims to offer a reason for the failure -- poor finishing). There are all sorts of reasons why you may fail to score, e.g. poor shot execution, poor decision making/choice of if and when to shoot, good defending, great goal keeping, etc. It isn't always the fault of the shot taker.

6. Bure budgie

Is anyone else pissed off with all this clap trap?
    I thought this was a Match Day Thread

7. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

I don't think it's ambiguous when 3 out of 4 shots don't go towards the goal. Doesn't matter what the goalie does if the ball ends up in row X or goes wide, and surely decision making is part and parcel of when to shoot. I don't happen to think our decision making was poor, I just think "poor finishing" is a fair comment where a team has a high number of shots off target.

ncgandy and Golden Eadie 2 like this.
  8. Golden Eadie 2

Golden Eadie 2 Well-Known Member

Football is played on grass, not on a piece of graph paper. Sorry robbie, but I am fast losing any interest in your postulations about our success, or lack of. Basically I have got to the point of skimming over your posts with very little interest in their content.

9. Bure budgie

Hear hear<applause><applause>

10. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Add me to the list too.
    But I'll happily do a 'sticky' if you want to start a
    'talk technical jargon and bore several people's arses off' thread.
    And I shall make a point of not watching / following it - personal opinion only, of course.<ok>

11. robbieBB

Maybe "vague" would have been better than "ambiguous". If someone says "our finishing was poor", you simply don't know what they are saying other than "we didn't score". You on the other hand made it quite clear what you think we were poor at -- getting shots on target.

What I would say is that I have no idea whether 1 in 4 is "poor". What is the criterion for deciding whether that ratio is "poor". What is your criterion for deciding that it is "poor"? Is saying it's poor anything other than a subjective opinion based on little more than how it seems to you?

The only stat I've been able to unearth on a brief search, came from an analysis of Europe's top leagues over two seasons (2009-2011). It will do to illustrate the point. Over that period, in the EPL, 32% of all shots were shots on target, i.e. more or less 1 in 3. It would make sense to define "poor" in this context as "below average". If that percentage were to be true generally, hence applying to the Championship 2020/21, then our ratio on Tuesday of 1 in 4 could accurately be described as "poor". But without a properly researched average figure "poor" remains without objective meaning.

12. robbieBB

Your prerogative GE. I'm heartened you are at least skimming my posts. There is, after all, an Ignore button <laugh>

13. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

Injuries starting to be a real concern. From the club website:
    "Lukas Rupp and Przemyslaw Placheta were both substituted during Tuesday’s 0-0 draw at home to Millwall with hamstring and calf problems respectively.
    Their fitness will be checked this afternoon, and the same goes for Todd Cantwell (ankle), who hasn’t trained this week.
    There are also fresh injury doubts to Ben Gibson, Jacob Sorensen and Marco Stiepermann, and Farke didn’t confirm whether they will be in contention to start tomorrow’s match.
    Xavi Quintilla is also still out".

How deep is our team? I think Zimm is ready to come back, or we could see Tettey tomorrow. Who will play on the left wing?

14. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

15. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

16. Golden Eadie 2

Golden Eadie 2 Well-Known Member

I have only ever put one person on ignore robbie, a certain 1p5hit supporter. All posters have somethings of interest to say, but not necessarily all the time.

robbieBB likes this.
  17. robbieBB

@Hairy Mary Quite Canary

After 10 games, the ratio of shots on target to all shots in this season's Championship is 1:3.13. Our average is 1:3.36. So we are below average, but only slightly. "Could do better" as teacher would say! Quite interesting that the 1:3.13 ratio is almost exactly the same as that for the EPL I quoted earlier.

18. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

I must confess to having put Robbie on ignore a few times .

Half the board probably have me blocked too but I'm a boring **** also .<laugh>

19. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Just done that earlier this morning.

20. robbieBB

I'm intrigued to know why you keep turning Ignore off again then DD. <laugh>