1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich City v Preston North End Carrow Road 19/9/2020

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Sep 17, 2020.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image
    v

LAST LEAGUE OUTING

HUDDERSFIELD TOWN 0 NORWICH CITY 1

PRESTON NORTH END 0 SWANSEA CITY 1

LAST TIME AT CARROW ROAD

NORWICH CITY 2 PRESTON NORTH END 0

Remember this one well if Robinson's shot had gone in and not hit the post would have won this, as it was two lte goals saw me lose at Carrow Road for the first time. Quite like this place although getting home at 5.30 am from a night game is not a joy but itr had to be done.
    Last meeting was a cup meeting earlier this year lost 4-2 after only starting at half time when 3 down. Idah scored a hat trick, he scored last week at Huddersfield.

PLAYERS IN FOR NORWICH
    Hugill, Placheta, Dowell, Mumba, Sinani, Soto, Dennis, Skipp Gibson, Sorenson, Quintilla

They have recruited well although lost some players they have more than enough depth in squad to go close this season

MACS MEMORY

[video=youtube]

Won 2-1 I know I was there

First ever meeting was in November 1961 and they have beaten us 21 times and lost 17
    In the space of 6 years in the 1980's we met them 8 times in the League Cup, City didn't lose once.

Very difficult game hopefully Alex will actually play people in the right positions, good news this is a test event for crowds so 1000 lucky sods will get the chance to see us.

Famous Norwich folk

Apart from Alan Partridge there is this gentlemen

WILLIAM CAPON ARTIST

Capon, whose father was also an artist, was born at Norwich on 6 December 1757,[1] and in early life practised as a portrait painter.[2]

Capon went to London, where he became an assistant to the architect and scene-painter Michael Novosielski,[1] and was employed on the decorations of Ranelagh Gardens and the Italian Opera-house. He was afterwards employed by John Kemble as scene painter for Drury Lane Theatre, which was rebuilt in 1794. In later years he became celebrated as an architectural draughtsman.[2] In the company of the antiquarian John Carter he recorded ancient buildings in Westminster, including some buildings which were scheduled to be demolished.[1] He was appointed Architectural Draughtsman to the Duke of York in June 1804.[1] He occasionally exhibited at the Royal Academy.[2]

He died at his home in North Street Westminster in 1827.

William will not be one of the 1000 attending

2. themaclad

We start to move towards a semblance of normality this weekend, with a small number of supporters being allowed in for Preston North End’s trip to face Norwich City at Carrow Road.
    The game is one of a series of pilot events allowing 1,000 home supporters into the stadium and it is a cracker for those allowed in, as Alex Neil takes his side back to his former club.

The Lilywhites, buoyed by the midweek cup win over Derby County at Pride Park, are looking for their first three points of the season, whilst Daniel Farke’s men will be looking to build on Adam Idah’s late winning goal at Huddersfield Town in their opener last Saturday.

The PNE boss had fellow ex-City man Declan Rudd back in the line-up for the win over the Rams, having not played since the final game of 2019/20 down at Bristol City, following an injury early in pre-season and he too will hope for a chance to play against his former employers.

Team News
    As mentioned above, Declan Rudd returned to the starting XI against the Rams and he will compete with Connor Ripley for a start down in his home city.

Louis Moult and Josh Earl are still both unavailable, but otherwise the manager has a fully fit squad to choose from and will have some tough calls to make given the performances in midweek, after ten changes to the opening day team against Swansea City.

For their opening league gamem Norwich City midfielder Josh Martin was unavailable due to a calf strain during their Carabao Cup tie against Luton Town, but he could return to face the Lilywhites.

Long-term absentees Grant Hanley and Sam Byram continue their rehabilitation, but there are no additional concerns for the Canaries boss.

Match Officials
    For this Saturday’s first away game, we have the referee who took charge of our first game after lockdown, at Luton’s Kenilworth Road, which was his his fourth Preston North End game of the 2019/20 season.

The match official for the trip to Carrow Road is John Brooks, now in his third season on the Select Group Two list of referees.

The Leicestershire ref was in charge of North End’s 3-2 home win over Millwall in December 2018 and the 3-1 home victory over Stoke City in front of the Sky Sports cameras back in August 2019, as well as the New Year’s Day clash with Middlesbrough in PR1.

Last year, in the month before the pausing of the Championship, he also refereed the Lilywhites’ victory over Stoke City at the Bet365 Stadium, when Tom Barkhuizen and Alan Browne were the scorers.

So far this season he has officiated Bristol City’s 2-1 opening day win and Brentford’s 2-0 cup shock success at Southampton on Wednesday night, issuing seven yellow cards in the games.

He will be assisted by Akil Howson and Nick Greenhalgh, whilst the fourth official will be George

3. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

If NE beat the Canaries, I would have had bragging rights down at the gym but for Covid and an appointment system enforced now. When AN was appointed to NE the blokes, and one had reached Norwich reserves years ago, just laughed. Didn't rate him. There's a guy I used to see who was a goal keeper coach for Norwich.

4. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well done, you sure put a lot of effort into these, maclad <ok>
    Love the way our badge is ten times the size of yours! <laugh>

barnetpne and themaclad like this.
  5. themaclad

Cricket matters tody so BBC copy and paste, Darnell Dynamite

Przemyslaw Placheta rescued a point for Norwich as they drew with Preston in front of 1,000 fans at Carrow Road.

Preston took an early lead as Scott Sinclair sent Tim Krul the wrong way from the penalty spot after Ben Davies went down under an Oliver Skipp challenge from a corner.

Norwich were level 15 minutes later as Declan Rudd fumbled Teemu Pukki's near-post header, but Preston regained the lead when Darnell Fisher blasted in after Sinclair's shot was saved following a lovely passing move.

But Polish midfielder Placheta, a summer signing from Slask Wroclaw, fired home at the second attempt to delight the home fans at one of several Football League games piloting the return of supporters.
    It was a first home point for relegated Norwich since they beat Leicester City 1-0 on 28 February as they maintained their unbeaten start to the league campaign, while Preston claimed their first point having lost at home to Swansea last week.

Norwich were one of the first Championship clubs to play in front of a crowd following the coronavirus pandemic
    Norwich may well feel aggrieved in the manner they went behind as Skipp barely seemed to make contact with Davies as he went up to head a corner, but Preston fully deserved their interval lead after impressing in the opening period.

Pukki's equaliser from Xavi Quintilla's ball into the box was the Finland striker's first goal in 16 games - a run stretching back to City's 2-1 loss at Tottenham on 22 January - but Preston's midfield dominance was rewarded as Ben Pearson, Alan Browne and Ryan Ledson combined to set up the Lilywhites' second.

Both sides had chances to go ahead soon after the restart - Sean Maguire headed a Joe Rafferty cross narrowly wide for Preston while Max Aarons curled a long-range effort just wide two minutes later.

Norwich should have levelled midway through the second half, but Placheta shot over the bar from seven yards out with the goal gaping after Rudd had parried Adam Idah's low shot.

And Pukki had a chance to make it two wins from two in stoppage time, but Rudd made a superb save from close range after the striker had got on the end of Placheta's cross.

6. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

Rudd made a real mess off a Pukki header (saw it on Quest) but he made a blinding save at the end of the game. Probably a draw was a fair result, but NE will be the happier team. According to LancsLive, all players did well with Ledson outstanding. Davies got a kick. Stockley in isolation! Maguire hustled well and Browne was back in his element, linking up with the front men.

7. themaclad

8. themaclad

Norwich City head coach Daniel Farke told BBC Radio Norfolk:

"The penalty decision against us was incredible for me, we missed unbelievable chances, an empty goal, then 2-2 to score the equaliser that late in the game feels definitely like a valuable point.

"It was important in our last Championship campaign to score late goals and to turn games, and to have this mental attitude after a difficult finish of the season is remarkable.

"The odds were against us when Placheta missed his chance in front of an empty goal from six yards, sometimes you think it's one of those days, but our supporters kept us going and I liked the attitude of my lads that we kept going, equalised late and then brought a third striker on and tried to take the risk."

On the return of supporters to Carrow Road:

"It was noisier than I expected if I'm honest, I didn't expect that they would have such an influence on us and I'm not sure if it would have been that easy to still keep going after so many setbacks in this game.

"But even when we were down 2-1 and missed a few chance they kept us going and were a major influence today and many compliments for them, it was great to have them back.

"I heard that everyone was quite disciplined and everything worked quite well, that's our first feedback and a first step and hopefully we can have all the other supporters very soon."

Preston North End manager Alex Neil told BBC Radio Lancashire:

"I thought we did enough to win the game, I thought we were the better side for a lot of the match.

"I'm frustrated because I thought there were a couple of decisions in the second half that should have gone our way.

"I'm really pleased with their effort levels, really pleased with performances and if we perform as well as that and leave everything that we did on the pitch most weeks we'll be in great shape.

"It's not often you come down here feeling aggrieved that you haven't won the game, because they're are a good side in the Championship and have put in a lot of investment in the summer, but I thought we were certainly more than a match for them today.