1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Northam kop

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by redwhitedynamite, Apr 28, 2011.

1. redwhitedynamite

What ever happened to home fans having the whole of the northam in kop style? Personally, I would love to see this happen, when we did it against mk last year it was one of the best atmospheres I have ever witnessed at st. Marys.

Thoughts?

2. It’s Only A Game

It’s Only A Game Well-Known Member

This is something that should of happend sometime ago IMO but when the matter was raised last season the old bill objected and the idea was dropped. The way the Northam is currently set up is ridiculous with large sections of empty seats because of segregation and the away section should be along the wings. Cortese obviously saw this, but his attempts to change things didn't get past the plods. It may have created a few organisational problems to get away fans out of their section safely but I wouldn't have thought it couldn't be done if there was a will.

3. Southampton_FC

Block 44 is open for last game. a mate just got some tickets in there <ok>

4. Virginia Water Saints

Agree 100% would be awesome and bit one hell of a noise in there!

5. synyster saint

synyster saint New Member

When St Mary's opened, no-one new where the new Archers would be, so I got a season ticket near the away fans. Why? because that's how you get the atmosphere started. We have our own kop it's called the Chapel, butno-one sings up there. Ever wonder why we all used to go under the East Stand & then the Archers, when the Milton was our kop. Make the Northam home fans only then the second season we would all move to where the away fans are. I don't know if all of you commenting on this go in the Northam, but when it was raised before, most people in favour were in other parts of the ground. Rant over

6. It’s Only A Game

It’s Only A Game Well-Known Member

If the Northam was home fans only and the away fans moved to the Itchen North (where they should be) you wouldn't have to move, you would be right next to them. In other grounds the away fans are either at the opposite end or tucked away in a corner.

7. SFCbwSFC

SFCbwSFC Member

I agree that away fans should be Itchen North. Lets put them there and have the Northam for just home fans and get a great atmosphere going. I do agree that if away fans were moved to chapel then most home fans from Northam would follow. But I think the club needs to try a bit harder, there must be a way to tuck the away fans around the corner a bit more.
    Also why do they never open up the rest of the Northam stand on normal match days, I bet more fans if given the opportunity would like to sit/stand there, the away section is hardly ever full and there is always a massive gap so why don't they sell those tickets. Saints seem to be obsessed by massive segregation. Look at Man city, they have a two line of stewards and no netting, but at St Mary's we seem to need two nets and loads of empty seats between fans.

8. synyster saint

synyster saint New Member

As I understand it the Police have a problem with Itchen North, which is probably something to do with the corporate boxes, which will generally be filled with Saints fans. In good old days in the Premier league, there was just a little bit of netting in Northam & a small fence to the Itchen, no netting.

9. SFCRich

SFCRich Member

Yeah, if they were to shake it up a bit, it would be sensible to have the away fans in Kingsland North. Away from the people paying mega bucks for a box and out of site of the tv cameras yet still close enough for the Northam lot to shout at them.

Safe as houses.

10. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I can understand the police's worry about Saints fans...the mass rioting, bovver boys with chains, burning cars etc. Perhaps the army should consider these tactics in Afghanistan..apparently all you need is a few rows of seats and some blokes in orange tops and no one gets passed. Or perhaps no one is trying! One year I believe we had one arrest at an away game which was a record for a Championship Club (as we were then). I know there's been an increase in stupidity recently and one very nasty incident, but generally it's handbags. Itchen North should house the away fans, especially in the Premiership when Northam will be full (fingers in fully crossed mode).

11. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

There is hot heads in every team in the land.......My understanding is that by having the away fans where they currently are is easier to police and cheaper in terms of numbers of police required. Saints have to allow up to 10% of their seating capacity for away fans. Was there not a debate about the possible resiting of the away fans in years gone by. Coming to much the same conclusion as is current?
    I have to admit I would like to see the Northam end totally Saints fans. As for the away fans I don't have a clue where to put them if this were likely to happen. On the bloody roof as far as I'm concerned. Itchen north possibly I really do not have any idea.

12. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

The away fans are stuck away in a corner, provided there a few enough of them. Look at Hartlepool or Charlton. But they wont fit if there more than 1000 so they have to go somewhere. I wonder what it would cost to extend the Northam Itchen corner upwards another block or two? That would also afford the away fans an excellent view across the city and make most of their singing dissipate in the air. Job done. <laugh>

13. SFC4BAG

SFC4BAG Well-Known Member

Move the Kingsland section adjacent to the Northam and Put the away fans in the Kingsland corner or simply put them next to the Northam in the Itchen. One or t'other.