1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Nico Hulkenberg

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by allsaintchris., Dec 16, 2019.

1. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Many shed a tear or whistful glance when 'The Hulk' did not find a seat on the grid for 2019.

I was not one of them. Never really seen what the big who-ha was about with him. Seemed to be a perfectly good driver, but not the wasted talent to F1 that many believed him to be.

177 races and no podiums can't all be down to bad luck, although at least 2 crashes whilst in the top 3 didn;t help. So I thought I'd go back and have a look at how he fared against his teammates as a head-to-head to see if these stats do back up that he was unlucky with podiums, as he otherwise kicked the backsides of his teammates?

Despite the protestations that he never had decent kit, the bare truth seems to be that in 9 seasons he only outscored t his teammates in 5 seasons, two of which were against di Resta and Guitierrez........ in the same time Perez outscored him twice and got 4 podiums whilst they were teammates, Perez has 8 podiums, and more fastest laps in total despite also being in mid-grid teams pretty much his entire career. And Perez is considered to be only a good driver and nothing special.

So Hulk, is he all that? Well, IMHO not really.

Wow, that was long lunch hour to kill.............

Nico.png

2. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Nick Heidfeld or Nico Hulkenberg?

3. Viva_Giggsy

Viva_Giggsy Well-Known Member

He's your typical average driver,probably still better then about half the drivers on the grid.

4. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

you have too much time on your hands.
    However, I will say that I think it shows Perez got his 'good' drive too early, and Kamui should've been given a seat.

Hulk, meh, as you say, he had chances to make people sit up and notice, but ****ed them all up.

5. allsaintchris.

It was a very rainy lunchtime!

Would have loved to see Kamui on the grid for longer. Not consistent but capable of some exlposive drives at times.

Number 1 Jasper and Big Ern like this.
  6. allsaintchris.

I'd agree with that, I just found the outpouring of grief when he left the grid to be a bit OTT for someone who hadn't achieved much.