1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic NFL 2020 season

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Sid, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Today marks the official start of the 2020 NFL year.

Haway the new season.

Brady to Bucks expected to be confirmed today.

haslam likes this.
  2. Gatesy

Gatesy Well-Known Member

Nice new thread Sid :emoticon-0148-yes:

Going back to what I was saying about Stidham on the 2019 thread. I've just watched his combine highlights and he ran the 40 in same time as Mahomes so he's no slouch... And at the end of the below video, Peter Schrager claims Mahomes told him Stidham was actively recruited to Texas Tech (which he initially accepted before going to Baylor) while Mahomes and Mayfield were already there!

As I said before, the more I look in to Stidham, the more I like and I think that's why BB and RK were happy for Brady to test free agency and ultimately leave.

https://www.patriots.com/video/jere...dham-throws-the-best-ball-of-anybody-in-draft

Sid likes this.
  3. Gatesy

Gatesy Well-Known Member

Sid likes this.
  4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Interesting. Any thoughts on an experienced QB to bring in that would work alongside him and be good enough to be an effective back up in case of a drop in form etc?

Gatesy likes this.
  5. Gatesy

Gatesy Well-Known Member

I'm not sold on any of them if I'm being honest. Winston wouldn't be a bad shout (if his eyes are fixed :cheesy:) but would want big money from free agency, and a starting spot? As for Dalton and Newton, that would require draft capital and also a decent wage against the salary cap and I would rather keep picks and cash to get some decent players around Stidham.

If Stidham is as good as is being said and liked as much as is claimed by Patriots staff then they may be willing to pull a Chiefs when they let Smith go and Mahomes take over. Bring in a Brian Hoyer as backup and show faith in the kid to go play.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Sid likes this.
  6. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I, like you, can't see them spending big on another QB. It would have to be a relatively cheap, yet safe option, vet.

Belichick isn't averse to bringing players back to Gillette so actually bringing back Hoyer wouldn't be a huge shock.

Gatesy likes this.
  7. Gatesy

Gatesy Well-Known Member

And he's surely available now that the Colts have inked Rivers and Brissett will likely be backup.

8. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Mind it'll be interesting to see what happens with Brissett given that he'll hit free agency next year. Colts might be looking to trade him if possible and keep Hoyer as their cheap option again.

Gatesy likes this.
  9. Gatesy

Gatesy Well-Known Member

Maybe, maybe lol. Rivers has said he wants to stay longer than a year and best to trade for a pick now rather than let him walk for free... Could see a few more twists and turns in the coming days and weeks yet.

Sid likes this.
  10. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Well-Known Member

It wouldn't surprise me if the Pats are being so positive about Stidham as a negotiating tactic so they don't get rinsed in a trading scenario.

He may be as good as they are saying, but he was also the 7th QB off the board last year so maybe other teams saw something that they didn't like.

The Panthers have shown their hand and essentially said they're prepared to cut Cam Newton if they don't trade him so the price might not be that high. Though the wage will be. I'd imagine the Chargers would be competition but it wouldn't shock me if the Pats made a move for him.

Sid likes this.

11. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Foles off to the Bears in exchange for a fourth round pick.

12. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I think that Newton would have to adjust his expectations contract wise to end up at NE. Could see the Chargers offering more cash.

Gatesy and Flash Gordon like this.
  13. Flash Gordon

It's about time they accepted that Trubisky is a bust but is Foles really the answer?

The Bears are one of those teams that I'd hate to be - not good enough to challenge at the top, don't seem to have enough pieces to build on, but have too many pieces to tank and rebuild. Falcons, Steelers and Chargers in that territory too in my opinion.

Robertson and Sid like this.
  14. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Foles seems to be a midway point between what they have and what they need. They're rolling the dice in pure hope rather than expectation that he finds his Eagles post season form again.

The Falcons seem to veer from bad to worse following that crushing Superbowl defeat. Not that they've been blessed with much luck since mind.

Gamepass available for free from Thursday till 31/07: https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/NFL-OFFERS-FANS-FREE-ACCESS-TO-NFL-GAME-PASS-.aspx

Gatesy and Flash Gordon like this.
  15. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

How about some proper sport? Lets run a sweepstake on when the season gets called off/ suspended indefinitely.

I'm going for April 3rd for 2 months.

16. Flash Gordon

Todd Gurley cut by the Rams. From offensive player of the year in 2017 to to gone 2 seasons later.

It shows how brutal this sport is. This is still a bit of a shock to me even though he's never been the same since he got that knee injury just before the Rams Superbowl run.

I'm sure someone will take a chance on him, but he'll not be getting anything like the $57m contract he was in with the Rams!

Gatesy and Sid like this.
  17. Flash Gordon

Brandin Cooks supposedly available for trade for a 4th or 5th round pick as well. Rams having a bit of a clear out on the salary cap.

A dozen teams should be after him at that price, but it would be a smart move for the Vikings or returning to the Saints.

Gatesy and Sid like this.
  18. Gatesy

Gatesy Well-Known Member

I'd have him back at Patriots all day long. Not sure he would go to the Saints tbh, he left under a bit of a cloud when Pats traded for him.

19. Gatesy

Gatesy Well-Known Member

Yeah this is one of those shocked but not shocked 'cuts' for me. I mean, he was a generational player at one point but since that post season Super Bowl run he's deep dived into oblivion! Someone will take a chance and I would say it will be someone who runs there RB's by committee like the Pats. He 100% won't end up there but that's the situation what he needs as he's not a 2 or 3 down back anymore.

Flash Gordon likes this.
  20. Gatesy

Gatesy Well-Known Member

Seen a report last night that the Pats are looking more and more likely to go with Stid the kid next season.