1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Next seasons squad and out of contract players

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by stretchyboy, Feb 15, 2019.

1. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Had a quick look at our squad, to ascertain what it could look like next season, and what we would need (assuming in L1)

Once all the loanees go back to their respective clubs, what does that leave us. We also have ten (yes, ten!!) first teamers who's contract is up at the end of this season (with the club having an option on 3 or 4 of them)

The current squad, who will still be in contract for next season (unless they're sold) is;
    Bart
    Donacien
    Nsiala
    Wolfy
    Edwards
    Nolan
    Bishop
    Nydam
    Downes
    Dozzell
    Lankaster
    Huws
    Skuse
    Rowe
    Harrison
    Jackson

Out of contract, but with club having an option;

Ward
    Adeyami
    Kenlock - Signed new contract
    Judge (although can't see him playing in L1)

Out of contract;

Jonas
    Chambers - Signed new contract
    Spence
    Sears
    Gerken
    Emmanuel

If we go down, i can see Bart, Jonas and Judge leaving. I think we would also release Adeyami, and maybe even Huws as well as Nydam, who doesn't quite look the part. We would also only have two fit strikers in Harrison and Jackson (with both Sears and Morris out til Christmas).

We'll have a good, strong core for League 1, but it also highlights how unbalanced we are, in the shortages of defenders and strikers.
    Whatever happens come May, the club and Lambert have got a helluva lot of work to do to rebuild a promotion chasing team.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    fieldmarshall and Nuggets like this.
  2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Based on the last two performances I’m not ready to do this until at least after the Reading game.

3. stretchyboy

Thanks Yorkie - but i didn't ask you to do anything LOL

fieldmarshall likes this.
  4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Ordinarily I would dive into the detail of it but I'm keeping all my eggs in the Championship basket until then, which might sound nuts given I was giving up in October, but I feel like something has changed, clicked.

5. stretchyboy

Oh dear...Westy et al have got to you, and finally broken you!! ;-)

6. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

In League One, I think we'd keep Kenlock, Chambers, Emmanuel, Gerken, and Sears (the latter on a deal similar to what we did with Luke Varney). The club will presumably try everything to get Judge signed on. If he is willing to take a step down, he'd be a crucial player for us. Let all the others go. Collins wouldn't play League One football for us.

Out of the contracted players, we will need to get Bart off the wage bill. If a good deal comes in for Dozzell and Downes, we probably would cash in. I wouldn't be surprised if we find a club for Danny Rowe or Huws either.

That leaves us with Gerken and Harry Wright as the senior keepers. Although I'd be tempted to go down the route of an experienced League One keeper and release Gerken. We need a right back (Emmanuel in reserve or rotation) and arguably a left back too (although maybe just cover if we're confident Kenlock can do a job in League One). Ideally, we need a fourth centre back to go with Chambers, Nsiala, and Woolfenden. Hopefully somebody vocal and experienced.

Midfield is our strongest position. Downes, Bishop, Nolan, and Judge would be brilliant as a first choice midfield four in a diamond. Although I feel we'd need a sitting midfielder who can make passes like Chalobah (easier said than done in the third tier). Skuse should be a squad player. Nydam and Lankester will provide competition.

Up front is where we need serious work. Harrison could potentially be effective at League One level (14 goals in a mid-table Bristol Rovers side last season). Signing Will Keane, if he continues to show the decent form this season, would be a decent move as he seems to be adapting to the playing style quite effectively. Jackson might be worth a shot from the bench. That leaves us really needing a fourth striker, if we're going to two up top. I'd like to see the club show some ambition here and sign a prolific League One striker - off the top of my head, somebody like John Marquis from Doncaster.

7. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Fair assessments from all - I guess first and foremost we need to see what league we're in ;)

Big clear out in the summer required - appears Lambert will be here next season, hopefully get the players in he wants and see what happens next.

8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

It's time for this now:

I would keep:

Bart
    Donacien
    Nsiala
    Wolfy
    Edwards
    Bishop
    Downes
    Lankester
    Huws
    Skuse
    Rowe
    Harrison
    Jackson
    Knudsen
    Chambers
    Sears
    Gerken
    Morris

+ sign up Judge and Keane

I would let go:

Ward
    Nolan
    Nydam
    Dozzell
    Adeyami
    Kenlock
    Spence
    Emmanuel
    Collins

9. Westlake33

Huws has to go, not contributed a single minute- we cannot afford to use wages like this in the hope he gets fit.

Have a feeling he’s essentially at the Jack Collison stage with body, and unless drops down s few levels may have to sadly retire.

10. Nuggets

I think you’re being far too lenient with the squad, Hampy. Following this awful season, and two further years of stale football, I think we need a clear out and to a big rebuild in the summer to have a squad capable of playing attacking football and to possess the winning mentality for promotion.

I think what I’d do is get rid of both Bart and Gerken, the former needs to get off the wage bill and the latter isn’t good enough. Bring in an experienced goalkeeper who talks to his defence (needed if we’re playing a young team) and then maybe look to play Harry Wright in the EFL Trophy and as backup.

I’d axe Spence, Knudsen, Collins (he wouldn’t drop down anyway), and Donacien. Bring in a left back and a right back to start (jury is out on Bree) with Emmanuel and Kenlock as understudies and a final year’s chance to see if they are capable of playing League One football for us. Woolfenden, Nsiala, Chambers, and an experienced centre back, maybe Curtis Tilt at Blackpool who we were linked with in the summer, with Woolfy and the new centre back to start. Chambers should be a club captain role, but not a regular starter.

In midfield, get rid of Ward, Adeyemi, Huws, Rowe, and loan out Nydam. If a good offer comes in for Dozzell, then sell. If a good offer comes in for Bishop, sell. If a good offer comes in for Downes, sell. While these three players have impressed in stages, if we are offered serious money for a player struggling to get games, a player historically struggling to play over 15 games a season, and a player who is frustratingly inconsistent, we are not in the position to turn down good money. My ideal midfielders would be Downes, a new deep lying playmaker, Skuse (strictly squad player), Lankester, Nolan, Bishop, Judge, and Dozzell. Anyone we sell from that lot, we must replace. If we play wingers, then we’ll need to bring one or two experienced wingers in.

Up front is a mess. There’s probably an argument that we could offload them all if we are given any offers, that’s how much of a root and branch rebuild we’d need. Will Keane play enough games? Arguably not. If we do sign him, it should be on a low wage with incentives for playing matches. One of Jackson or Harrison to be sold, ideally the former. I’d keep Sears because nobody will sign him while injured, and give him six months to impress upon his return and then look to offload. I feel we need two new strikers, if we are playing two up top; someone like John Marquis with a proven record in League One. And then maybe look to bring Morris or Folami in a squad role.

It may look drastic to some, but I honestly feel that’s where we are as a club and as a squad. This is hands down the worst season and the worst Ipswich Town side I’ve seen. Some of these players shouldn’t play for this club again. We need to cut a lot of deadwood and we need to sign quality players, capable of playing attacking football and capable of using their initiative. We don’t have enough right now. Apologies for the Sunday morning rant everyone.

Westlake33 likes this.

11. Westlake33

Like it Nuggets, I'm very similar - perhaps offload Kenlock + Emmanuel also, not sure Judge will join, interesting summer to put it mildly.

12. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Our wage bill will be far too high for league 1 which means the squad has to be streamlined massively. PL has had long enough to assess what he has in the squad and should know which players he wants for next season (I believe these players should start playing week in, week out from now) and which he wants to offload. The loan players that we have no chance of keeping should not be playing and let’s plan for league 1 properly. I don’t think there’s any point changing the manager again. Give him next season to build his own squad and then see where we are

San Diego and itfcptc like this.
  13. Nuggets

I think keeping the youth is important, and bringing them into the squad. While I say we should sell a Dozzell, Bishop, or Downes if a good offer comes in, we should only be looking to sell one of them, ideally for a few million. And that’s assuming we get any interest for one of those players.

Bringing down that wage bill is important, as the TV money gets significantly reduced, but I think either way you cut it, we need at least four or five new signings in the summer, who are capable of playing promotion-chasing football.

14. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Perhaps one who would accept a drop in wages Westy. Could be a big player for us yet.

15. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

My intention is not to rattle anyone’s cage, and Westy has liked your post nuggets, but -

Isn’t this exactly what most of the criticism of Hurst was for, only even more so?

I don’t think what you’re suggesting is realistic. Where are we going to find 10-20 players and all on free transfers or tiny transfer fees?

We do need round pegs in round holes - that is the very basic thing we have failed consistently to do as a football club since Jim Magilton.

Nevermind Bart’s wages, we can transition the wage bill over time but that is one less problem to solve.

I would be looking at Jackson, Harrison, Sears and Keane and thinking there are plenty of goals there to be had if getting the right service and playing as actual strikers. But adding a young proven goalscrorer who is going to bag us 20 - 30 goals must be our #1 priority and the one area we can’t skimp on a fee or wages.

Not Marquis: he’s had one good season at League One but many seasons on the treatment table and of underachievement.

Sign up judge and then the midfield options are excellent. But there are too many players ahead of Nolan and Dozzell for me, having them all is excessive. Bishop, Judge, Rowe, Downes, Lankester, Huws is an epic set of attacking midfield options.

Rebuild the defence around Woolfy - but we need 9 squad defenders so keep Chambers, Nsiala, Knudsen (if we can) and Donacien at the club and sign three or four others.

If we want to bounce straight back up that’s what we need to do. If we want to risk League Two football then rip it up and start again.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  16. Westlake33

Not for me, too sicknote - need players who are going to be fit 80% + I would say, but IF he could get fit for sure, would love him here!

Fair point of view Hampy - if the lad can be fit, he'd tear up L1. I just ( sadly ) don't see it happening.

17. Nuggets

Hurst’s approach to this club would have had a good chance of working in League One, as the players he signed typically played well in that division, but it clearly hasn’t worked in the Championship.

I’m not advocating a complete dismantlement of the squad, but I feel we realistically need six or seven new players. Left back, right back, and a striker are priorities. A fourth centre back, ideally a first teamer to play alongside Woolfenden, is key. A goalkeeper is a requirement if you believe, like me, that Bart will have to be sold and Gerken is not good enough. We are well stocked in midfield, but I would like someone to replace the Chalobah role, as I don’t think Skuse and Downes have the skillset. A second striker to come in is also crucial if you believe Keane won’t play enough games and that one of Jackson or Harrison needs to go. Also bear in mind Sears will be our for six months and our current youngsters haven’t had the first team opportunities.

Agreed that Woolfenden needs to be integrated in the first team. Agreed that Dozzell is expendable, and somehow gets linked to multi-million bids from bigger clubs, let them have him for a reasonable price. We won’t have much money to spend, and I would like us to steer clear of loans completely, but if you think this lot can coast to promotion next season after three wins all season (and on course for one of the lowest points total in the Championship), then I think you’re seriously underestimating the quality and competitiveness in League One.

18. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

There will clearly be a mass exodus at the end of the season but we desperately need some proven goal scoring ability up front, we should do whatever is necessary to sign Billy Kee from Accrington the player that idiot Hurst should have signed in the Summer.

Westlake33 likes this.
  19. Westlake33

A little confused with your views on Marquis/ Huws Hampy I must say.

You want Huws to stay, despite showing no signs of coming back to fitness, yet you're concerned about Marquis fitness. where this season he's played for fun, and the last 2 seasons he's started 45 games each season? I'm somewhat confused here - before he was at Millwall and loaned out to clubs?

Also, you appear a big fan of Jackson, yet Marquis has just had the one good season at this level.

Last season, he scored 14 at league 1 - a division higher than Jackson who you seemed at points to really like, and the year before in league 2 - he scored 26!? Not having a go for the sake of it, but I cannot really understand where you're coming from on either point?

I do however agree with both a lot of what you and Nuggets are saying though and fully get both viewpoints. It's going to be a very difficult summer, I think plenty of players will leave ( loans ) and many out of contracts won't be renewed. I can imagine a couple being sold - cannot imagine for one moment Bart is going to wish to stay in League 1, perhaps Downes may go - Bishop will certainly stay, just signed a new deal.

Clearly Lambert - or whoever is incharge ( Lambert's really going to have to up the results to stay for me, 2 wins in 21 is not acceptable, no wins in 8 now,,,, no away wins ......... ) is clearly going to want a few of their own players - so I can see a situation where due to one factor or other, possibly 20 of the players we currently have leave, and a hire figure come in!

With what Field was saying on another post - people think we've hit rock bottom, I'm not so sure we have yet. This summer scares the living hell into me.

Alhare, fieldmarshall and Nuggets like this.
  20. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Huws is already at the club. He’s a top player. He has had a long lay off but he might come back to full fitness and on a reduced salary for a player of his undoubted quality. The club staff will know more than I do about his condition.

Marquis didn’t cut it at Championship level and his injury record is diabolical. He will cost a fortune to sign. Why take a risk when we could sign someone else less risky?

I wouldn’t say I like Jackson but we’ve not given him a chance to shine and particularly Lambert has been absolutely daft not to give him opportunities. Not to play against Reading really beggars all belief.