1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Next Season's Opposition

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, May 8, 2021.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Apart from the play off games the teams we will be up against next season are pretty well fixed now. It makes interesting reading with some of the names in league one now. Exeter won't be one of them although at one stage today I thought they might sneak into the play off place.

Bolton
    Shef Wednesday
    Sunderland or Portsmouth or both
    Ipswich
    Charlton probably
    our old friends Wycombe
    Rotherham the bouncy club

Not withstanding a few other clubs who are possibly on the up and in strong positions the league next season is going to be one tough place to be. If, and it is a big IF, we are competitive in that company then we will know we are doing something right. I just hope and pray that crowds will be allowed because I can see a fair few being high attendance.

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Such a shame to see Sunderland make it to the Play Off Final. Another season in League one for a club with such a misplaced sense of entitlement.

I also watched the Brentford v Bournemouth tie in the big battle to a Premier League place. Firstly, justice was done, Bournemouth, starting with a 1 goal advantage, displayed such levels of cynicism as to disqualify them from any notion of sporting endeavour.

Secondly, I learnt that Brentford are owned by a fan who is the founder of one of the data analytics companies. Presumably Brentford get unfettered access to it because there team sheet looks like a delegate list to the United Nations with a focus on Scandinavian issues.

Since PAFC are using these tools, it's reassuring what it can achieve: humble Brentfird 90 minutes from the Premier League.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

To be fair you can't blame Sunderland fans for being pee'd off at league one status. However, I posted on their board at the time of their decent into it and said it was not as easy to get out of as it was for them to get into. I think that ship has sailed now and most of them accept it is where they are like it or not. The same thing applies to Portsmouth when they first fell from grace and Ipswich more recently. All of these clubs thought they were too big to be in tier 3. At least we won't ever fall into that trap. As for who gets promoted I don't particularly care except I will always have a slight leaning toward the underdog. I even want Morecambe and Mr Adams to do it from league two.

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

2021/22 season will have Argyle travelling 12,315 miles there and back.....227 miles more than last season.

5. notDistantGreen

I suppose at least this season will be played over the normal schedule rather than a shortened one even if stadiums can't be filled to capacity immediately. More training time, more recovery time between games.... we hope!

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

All of my first list are in league one we know now. I don't think it's relevant how far they have to go but more the who we have to play bit. This is becoming a very hard league if it wasn't already.

7. notDistantGreen

Well they are here on merit (or lack of it), not their reputations.

Bolton averaged 11,500 in League 1, Charlton 15,000 and Rotherham 9,000 in the Championship so we aren't a million miles from those. The question is, will the authorities ensure their expenditure reflect their income? Probably not, but if we were on a level playing field we'd not have a lot to fear.

Sunderland, Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday are a different kettle of fish!

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Yes it is true it's current merit but they have on average bigger money pits and attractability. They can get better players generally than we can.