1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic News & Current affairs

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by ForestHillBilly, Feb 6, 2020.

1. The Penguin

The Penguin Well-Known Member

Alex Salmond is a nasty piece of work. I've got my own opinions about the accusations against him, but on this forum you have to respect the verdict of the jury. We will see what transpires.

Dick Plumb1 likes this.
  2. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

Taking a more historical perspective, I guess this nasty business is another step on the path to maturity of the Scottish Parliament.

If Scotland does gain its independence, it's Parliament must be strong enough to withstand even the gravest political or constitutional crisis. Much worse than what we are seeing now.
    If it cannot, then chaos and a humiliating return to the UK (simply in order to maintain civil order and essential services) could be Scotland's long term fate.

The English Parliament was once compelled to go to Civil War and depose our own Monarch in order to save the Nation.
    At some time in the future, Scotland's Parliament may have to be just as resolute.

3. lardiman

Forum Moderator

4. lardiman

Forum Moderator

5. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

6. The Penguin

I don't usually take any interest in the Royal Family, but the fight between them and Meghan/Harry is quite juicy, with both sides upping the stakes. It's a bitlike whenever a fight breaks out, a crowd instantly gathers. It looks as though they are set to go toe-to-toe, and provide plenty to fill the tabloid press, who loathe Meghan with a passion for some reason. Seconds ahrt..................................................................................

Dick Plumb1 likes this.
  7. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Meghan has Harry wrapped around her little finger.
    All this talk about finding their own way and enjoying some privacy is claptrap. Harry might mean it, but he's being played.

His wife has everything a gold-digger could ever want.
    Royal titles, unlimited capacity to make easy money, millions of toadying fans...
    You don't become a Hollywood actress if you want a quiet life and some privacy.

Having said that, I have precious little positive to say about our Royal Family either, aside from respect for the life of duty lived by our Queen.
    A sore pity that none of her feckless kids could follow her example.

8. The Penguin

Never met any Royal except Prince Phillip when I got my D of E award 55 years ago, but I do get the distinct impression that Harry and Meghan are in love, and when you bear in mind the way Harry's mother was hounded by the tabloids it's not surprising that he doesn't want to see the same thing happen to his wife.
    And when you bear in mind also the way he was forced to walk publicly behind his mother's coffin it's not surprising which way his loyalties are going. Not to mention the doubts over his paternity.

Ken Shabby and Dick Plumb1 like this.
  9. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Nobody in Sussex wants them as Duke and Wife.... they are loathed down ere!

10. Butterfield

All this happens while Prince Andrew slips into the shadows....

11. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Staying on a Royal theme...
    No police probe over Diana Panorama interview

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56281694

I'm outraged (says Angry of Mayfair)
    Surely the Police haven't got anything better to do than spend more time on this :emoticon-0121-angry

12. lardiman

Forum Moderator

...behind the bike sheds.
    It's back to school next week <whistle>

13. The Penguin

It must be a strange life being a Royal. Would anyone choose it? seriously? Look what happened to the Princess Fergianna when she separated from Prince Andrew, had to eat Christmas dinner alone while the kids ate with Dad and family. You play by the rules or else...........................

14. Smudger603

Smudger603 Well-Known Member

Are you sure she was alone - she didn’t have a toe sucker to accompany her ?

15. Dick Plumb1

Dick Plumb1 Well-Known Member

Nobody knows what has happened between Meghan/ Harry and the Royal Family. The middle England press has turned against Meghan. I wonder why that is?
    It seems that every person and their dog has a view on Meghan and Harry, with no evidence at all to back up their views.
    The way I see it is just leave them to get on with their own lives. But of course the Press and Media won't allow that to happen. They will hound them like they did with Diana.

Ken Shabby and Butterfield like this.
  16. Dick Plumb1

Dick Plumb1 Well-Known Member

I take exception to the term Gold digger. She wasn't exactly penniless when she met Harry. Perhaps they are in love, have you thought of that?

Ken Shabby and The Penguin like this.
  17. The Pub Landlord

The Pub Landlord Well-Known Member

I have never subscribed to the notion that a particular extended family is any better than the rest of us, especiually when their position is based on land grabs by more dynamic predecessors.

However, it is an institution we are stuck with, at least for now, and to that extent I have the utmost respect for the manner in which The Queen and Prince Philip have carried out their duties. To this day nobody has any true knowledge on what The Queen thinks on any major issue.

Looking forward, though, Charles does not have the respect of the nation at large. William does, but that's largely because he has a cute wife who presents well. He is not the sharpest tool in the box. His and Harry's constant harping on about mental health has becomne wearisome, at least to me. I can see there being no monarchy within my lifetime.

I think that the present situation with Harry will not end well. The cover story for their departure from UK was that they needed to get away from media scrutiny but they have put themselves right back in it. If Harry really is as mentally frail as he would have us believe he will crack sooner or later.

From what we see Meghan is really not my cup of tea as a person, although she may be misrepresented. I don't really care. If they really are in love then good luck to them. Can we just ignore them and let them get on with their private lives, withdraw all public financial support and let them live as they wish.

Smudger603 likes this.
  18. The Penguin

Harry's reportedly worth £14m, he should be able to use that to set himself up, they're an A-list celebrity couple, he could renounce his royal titles. Apparently in American opinion is split into pro-Meghan and anti-Meghan camps. What is the point in taking sides, anyway.

19. Butterfield

20. lardiman

Forum Moderator

No.

Not that I care much. Good luck to her.
    She wasn't born with a silver spoon in her mouth. The Royal Family is only useful for tourism in my view.
    This story, which is taking up ridiculous airtime on the radio, is strictly showbiz.
    Not even proper news.