1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Newcastle and Sunderland

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Chappaz, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Chappaz

Chappaz Active Member

Hi folks.

I'd make a cross-board thread but the feature has been disabled so I'll just have to post this on the boards of the fans who's opinions I care about.

I've never really known what fans of other clubs have thought about Newcastle and Sunderland, the two North East clubs isolated right up here in the corner of England. I was just wondering what DO you think? How would you view and compare the statures and histories of the clubs? Do you have any affiliations with either side?

I'm fully aware some of you won't give a **** about either club and have never had a single thought about Newcastle or Sunderland, but for those who have, I'd be very interested to hear your views and how you see each club.

2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Evening, Chappaz.
    Hope you're prepared for some rather negative opinions on here, in all honesty! <laugh>

I'm pretty neutral about both clubs.
    We've brought in some pretty special players from Newcastle (Waddle, Gazza, Ginola), but the stick which we've received in return evens it out.
    Both have strong local support and decent history, but suffer from the odd moment of Liverpool-itis, making claims about where they 'should' be and how big they are that put neutrals off.

Pardew's done a good job with your lot, though and O'Neill's a very effective manager, so this might become a very interesting rivalry over the next couple of seasons.

3. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Never used to like Newcastle, your fans got carried at the return of Keegan and then Shearer, whilst Ashley wasn't given proper time before he was despised by your lot. You also had an annoying habit of taking points off. Nowadays I like your team and how you're upsetting the set up at the top against teams that vastly outspend you. I've no strong feelings about your fans eitherway now, credit them for still turning up in numbers when you went down though.

I liked Sunderland when they got Bruce because I thought he was a good manager and also because they used to take our unwanted players off our wage bill. Then I began to tire of them spending a lot and still being ****e and I don't like Martin O'Neill so I don't particularly care for them but I'm not exactly waiting for their downfall either. I have little experience of their fans apart from on here where they seem okay and a couple of them that foolishly went for a scrap on the way to Nortumberland Park Station a few years ago.

Edit: Don't know much about either's histories but Newcastle have been more successful in my lifetime.

4. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

About 20 years ago, I was working at a FL club, and went to Newcastle one week and then Sunderland the next. The difference in attitude from the supporters was unbelivable.

Newcastle were going through a really rough spell under Ossie Ardiles and the fans were on the players backs after literally 10 minutes because they hadn't got an early goal. The fans were vociferous and hostile.

A week later, the Sunderland people were friendly, hospitable, and although they were playing in the FAC final a week later, their good mood seemed genuine.

I have never forgotten those days and the differences between the fans. Even when Newcastle supposedly became everyone's second favourite team under KK, I still never forgot my match day experinence at St James's.

I have been back to both grounds since and nothing really has changed. To put visiting fans where you situate them is a disgrace. You need binoculars to see the game and a parachute to come back down from your seats. Whereas at the SOL, the natives always seem far friendlier.

Hope that helps <ok>

5. Chappaz

Chappaz Active Member

I'm alright with negativity! As long as it's all honest everyone is entitled to their views.

Fair views! Really not surprised us mags got carried away mind, especially with Keegan. We instantly associate him with the success we had in the late 90's as title challengers alongside Man Utd, so it was too easy to get ahead of ourselves.

6. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

No feelings one way or the other for Sunderland. Have often liked Newcastle cause of Sir Bobby's and Keegan's (first time) teams. Like the team you have at the moment, full of pace and movement. Good to watch as a neutral.

7. Chappaz

Chappaz Active Member

No Newcastle fans really agree with where the away fans are situated, but there's nothing we can do about it. Much in the same way there's nothing we can do about 'Sports Direct Arena', the hefty Sports Direct branding or anything else he's done to St James Park.

He even split up the big singing section we used to have there. I can't think for any reason other than him being sick of them singing offensive songs about Ashley and Sports Direct.

We're a nice bunch now though.

8. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Mike Ashley's done a lot of good at Newcastle.
    He's made some **** decisions and there's something instantly unlikeable about him, but you were going the way of Leeds and he's turned that around dramatically.

9. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

Apart from being a spurs supporter <whistle>

10. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

He claims otherwise, HD.

"I absolutely hate Spurs. I always have done."
    Possibly a Chelsea fan, which would explain why nobody likes him.

11. Chappaz

Chappaz Active Member

The process of turning it around was hard to swallow, but we've had to see the results of it to finally appreciate it.

However, he's not out of the woods yet. I have a funny feeling he thinks he can just keep flogging our best players and plucking talented youngsters out of foreign leagues to replace them. It's worked this time, but that cycle wouldn't last forever and it would be very risky.

12. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

OK, no redeeming features

13. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

sound's like arse4life to me

14. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

Must say, I always thought Ashley was a Spurs fan. Wasn't he big mates with that Kemsley bloke who used to be on our board of directors ??

15. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

The only way i decide if i like a team or not is if they beat Spurs or not<laugh>

But if i take my team out of the equation then i would say i am highly impressed at Newcastle..i do like how they play their football...and you always seem to find a gem to fill the number 9 shirt whilst getting 35 million for a carthorse is just priceless,oh the irony.

plus i like the way you give the other big boys a run for their money.

i prefer the Toon over sunderland..there is just something depressing about that set up!

good luck in trying to get 4th off Arsenal Chappaz<ok> id like to see us 3rd and you boys 4th.

16. notsosmartspur

notsosmartspur Well-Known Member

You even describe the NE yourself as in an isolated corner, precisely the reason no-one likes going there. Even the names are an attempt to attract and make it sound better than it is. New Castle...you get there...**** all castle! :( Sun derland, makes you think its all sunny, warm and nice...snow up there a couple of days go wasn't it! :(

17. Chirpy rides again

Chirpy rides again Active Member

Both teams obviously have great support, but to be fair there isn't much choice is there? Newcastle are a bigger team than Sunderland and are enjoying the success they deserve right now. On the minus side, neither can absolutely say they won't be in the Championship in a couple of years time and Newcastle's turnover of managers means the club never seems far from another setback. On the whole, the prem is better with both in it, but like most here I guess, I am pretty neutral. On the bright side, we don't hate you. <ok>

18. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Neutral towards both teams. Don't dislike either and providing their results don't affect us in a negative way, I hope they do well. Had some good banter in a local chippy after the game with a Mackem when they came down this season and an old school mate of mine is a Geordie who was a great laugh. Both teams certainly don't have any anger/ hatred towards them from me. :) <ok>

19. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

143_02-mini.jpg That is what comes to mind when you say Sunderland.

Newcastle? Great town, big club great support but living on it's history. The Spurs of the North East.

20. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Newcastle: Jackie Milburn, Kevin Keegan, Bobby Robson that's what come to mind, all from the past.