1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New Signings

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Rhodthesod, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Rhodthesod

Rhodthesod Well-Known Member

Have we signed anyone yet?

Are there any strong links?

Anyone you think we could get in?

2. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the Coopers connections will see us bring in a few loan signings , the main issue for the Club has to be the wages of the Ayews, Baston and maybe Montero , another season in the C/ship is fine by me as long as the current squad isn't decimated by the yanks eagerness to recoup their money.

3. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

We will only get players that will accept our wage structure and that is the right way to go about it. Every mediocre clubs are having to do the same thing and it is the premiership big clubs who are pushing transfer and wages up to the demise of the rest of us. There are many clubs now that cannot afford to go or be in the Premiership anymore and that is spreading to the Championship which in the near future clubs will struggle to afford to play there because of the cost of transfer and wages.......Until There is a European league that these big clubs can go nothing will change and football will get more expensive for clubs that dont have an unlimited cash flow will struggle to compete in the beautiful game......

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  4. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

But the European Super League will then essentially make the Championship fill the gaps in the PL, and a new 'top six' will emerge who have the money and control - Everton etc. So not a great deal will change, the top players will still go to the Euro League first, and then to the new top 6.

5. swanseaandproud

There would be a big change stereo on what is happening today as the EFL can introduce a cap on transfers and wages....There is no chance of this while we have the top 6 clubs with control of transfer fees......Everton dont have a limitless bottom like the big boys....Footballers earning £300k a week is obscene and you will be surprised at the amount of players earning over £100k per week even in the championship and that is a ridiculous amount of money to pay a man kicking a football about.....It eventually affects not only the clubs but the fans also....Just look no further than our own club when it comes to paying over the top wages just to stay in the premiership. We have ruined a once well stabilized club that did not have any chance but to off load these big earners that failed to keep us up.......And dont think for one minute we are on our own here, Many clubs in all divisions are now struggling and have to reflect on wages and transfer fees and agent fees. Until something is done at a national level then good clubs like ours will suffer....Some will even go to the wall..

6. Rhodthesod

Yay, we signed Bidwell........

swanseaandproud likes this.
  7. Rhodthesod

Yay we signed someone....

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  8. swanseaandproud

A few more needed...<ok>

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  9. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Agreed

10. swanseaandproud

I am not convinced that Tommy will do as good as what some are saying after pre season games against league 2 and non league results. There are still issues in defence that need to be sorted. I pray he will prove me wrong but i can't see it ATM. We need at the very least two or three experience players including a defence coach better than who is coaching now imo. I understand that money is an issue at the club but i remember our chairman stating that there is money available and that was not long ago. Cooper needs help and even if the club has to borrow (not that we need to having sold a number of Players) that yes we need to pay our debts but he should be given as a conservative estimate with all the money we have gained from selling players plus money that have reduced the wage bill significantly a minimum of £10m and to be honest that is peanuts for a championship club...With the chairman now running the club single handed he needs a rethink on our financial situation and use money towards building the team and not pay everything to pay off it's debts....

11. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Interesting that you think we have a pot of money, season tickets sales are down , parachute payments down significantly and we still have players on the books regardless if they play or not are on ridiculous wages (thanks to Huw and his money no object philosophy especially as it wasn't his to spend). Loan players need paying and the Club still needs to function (new pitches laid in the preseason at Landore and the Liberty ) and know you want the Club to get into deeper debt of a minimum of £10 million <doh>, we don't have owners who care about the Club but how to get back their "investment" and the only way they're going to see that is run us as cheaply as possible.

12. aswan_dam

aswan_dam Well-Known Member

Contrary to popular belief, I think we will have a decent season, similar to last, maybe just missing the play-offs again. The further culling of the squad has failed to materialise, other than those high-cost players who didn't feature last season anyway.

I suspect Nordfeldt will be no:1 keeper. He's capable of making great reaction saves but can be hesitant at times.

The central defence will continue to concede from set pieces. VDH is experienced and captain playing with either Rodon or Wilmot. I'm reading great things about Wilmot, he could be a big surprise. Roberts and John(?) at full-backs. Still have Naughton for experience.

Grimes and Fulton have plenty of games under their belt now. We lose Dan James of course, still have ageing experience in Dyer and Routledge. Never been too convinced by Asoro or Mckay tbh. And Mcburnie will continue to bang them in up front.

Reasons for optimism, I think.

(Waiting for my car to be serviced. Sorry for the lack of in-depth analysis!)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  13. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of what you say. but there is still 13 days to go and plenty of time for that squad to change for the better or the worse. I think we will have a half tidy season I believe top half. I don't like Nordsfeldt and think he is a liability and prefer Mulder. all about opinions I suppose. My reasoning is we are week in the air in the box and Nordsfeldt is probably the worse keeper I have seen at this level in dealing with crosses and anything aerial in the box, bet yes he is a tidy shot stopper.

Centreback position is I hope not going to be our Achilles heel. I like VDH and gives us experience, so along side we have a choice of 2 youngsters, Rodon did excellent last season to be fair, but you can guarantee him making 2 or 3 mistakes that could and did cost us last season. As for Wilmott who knows, under 800 minutes for the whole of last season so we can only guess, his stats seem pretty good apart from aerial battles won which is only at 40% and poor.

I think we are looking really strong in the centre of midfield and there is good competiton for places, lets hope Grimes continues with what he did last year and it seems that Fulton is starting to add a few goals to his game. Out wide still our best players are the old guys, and I agree Dyer and Routledge, I don't rate anyone behind them though, Mckay and Asoro and very very average.

Lets hope we retain Mcburnie or that could leave us short of goals. So basically I have agreed with almost all you say. Just hope we do strengthen with a little bit more experience from the free market and not just bring in more untested 19 year olds, we have more than enough of them with potential at the club already.

14. swanseaandproud

Like i said i hope i get proved wrong.....I cant see where we have a strong midfield where the only assumption is looking at us playing div2 and non league clubs especially as most of those clubs made our defence look bad by scoring easily....If fans are optimistic by Our pre season results then they are easily pleased as we have not played anyone at our supposed level yet and that is what i wanted to see before i can be a little bit optimistic.....