1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New season expectations

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by afcftw, Aug 23, 2017.

1. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

How do you think we will do this season? And what would you consider a good season?

The league is going to be tough this year with the spending by Utd and City so do you expect a title challenge?

Of the following which would you consider a good season:

Title winners
    Title challenge + a cup
    Title challenge, no cup
    Top four + a domestic cup
    Top four, no cup
    Outside top four + Europa league win
    Outside top four + domestic cup

If we finish outside the top four and win nothing it's obviously been a fail season.

So what do you expect will happen and what would you consider to have been a good season?

2. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Personally I think we will struggle to put in a proper title challenge but could well be top four.

Top four with no trophy I'd consider an ok season but not be overly happy. Though it'll be important for the club not to be outside the CL for long.

If we win the europa league I'd consider it a good season even if we don't make the top four. I'd love to see us win a European trophy even if it's not the CL.

If we win a domestic cup and come top four I'd consider it a good season.

If we win a domestic cup but finish outside the top four i'd considered it a good season just about but be worried about failing to get back into the CL.

3. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Yup unfortunately I think we are looking at 5th-3rd.

I think we have the squad to challenge (although we need a TOP CM added) but Wengers team selections are weird, his substitutions are ridiculous and predictable and we dont seem to drop players for poor performances.(or reward good ones)

He does still pull-off some great signings though. Hopefully we will see at least one more before the window closes.

4. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

We'll have a decent season and reach about 4th or 5th in the league and progress well in all the domestic cups and Europa.

5. bobo_97

bobo_97 Well-Known Member

Failed Season -> 5 and below
    OK season -> top 4
    good season -> be in the title race into the last month of the league OR top 4 and europe league title
    great season -> well, you know.

6. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

What about 5th and win the europa?

7. Krome

Krome Well-Known Member

If I had to predict now I'd say we're probably fighting Liverpool for 5th, maybe Everton as well.. Unless Tottenham have a shocker season because of Wembley, too early to say

I've got a feeling we won't take the Europa seriously and go out early

8. lazarus20000

Comparing our team from last season to this one and i don't think we've improved enough to be title challengers. I think we'll look good in parts of the seasons when Lacazette, Sanchez and Ozil link up properly, but not having a stable midfield, a missing Cazorla or equivalent and a new formation will make us inconsistent.

I can see us do better in the cups and with a large squad, we should be able to make good progress in most. I hope we go for the Europa as i think we have a very good shout to win that.

9. bobo_97

bobo_97 Well-Known Member

Then it is an ok+ season as we got equivalent of top 4 (and CL) and a trophy.

I would rather win the cup than top 4.

10. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

Id like to win the Europa League, but I think the risk is too great to 'go for it'.

Id rather concentrate on the league.

However Ive said it before and Ill say it again, I dont think this club will push on with Wenger in charge - not because of his ability or how he is as a manager, I dont think the fans have enough faith or belief in the team with him in charge. Without that 100% backing and support, we will be fighting for top 4.

11. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

So you do actually think he has the ability? Wowsers

12. lazarus20000

He obviously has the ability otherwise he wouldn't have got us where we are today. But his stubbornness to hold onto ideologies that are incompatible with the PL have hurt his legacy in the long run. He abandoned a previously successful strategy for an alternative that never quite worked out and since then he's been playing catch up. He was cutting edge but his failure to adjust to team deficiencies has seen him struggle to win the PL.

He was one of the best but not anymore, he is still a very good manager.

TheBear likes this.
  13. AndyI

AndyI Well-Known Member

Winning the Europa would a very good season for Arsenal as I can't see you having a serious title challenge, could be anywhere from 3rd - 6th.

It's a European trophy and Arsenal have pitifully few of those compared to other big clubs throughout Europe and it qualifies you for the CL proper.

As for the domestic cups, they are a bit of a lottery so you could win one without doubt.

Last season, i'd say Utd had the next best season to Chelsea with 2 trophies inc a European one and CL group stage. no one will remember they were 6th in 10 years time but trophies are forever.

Don't fall into Wenger's obsession with 4th. What is the point of qualifying to be cannon fodder for the big guns every feb/march. Yes, there is money and a certain prestige but i'd argue that winning the Europa (which you could unlike the CL) garners a lot of prestige and also pays nearly as much as making the last 16 of the CL.

In 2015/16 Arsenal made 53M euros and Liverpool nearly 38M. Add in the extra 3 home games in the KO's and entry to the Super Cup and the gap is not as massive as some people like to make out.

14. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

Nope I think his ability has gone, I was trying to say that regardless of if he shows he still has it or not, it won't matter, as the fans still won't get behind him.

15. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Loyal... But illogical.

Being a great manager 20 years ago doesn't mean you necessarily have the skills and ability to be a great manager now.

He was greater than most. He hasn't changed. Unfortunately a whole host of other managers came along over the years who were better than him. Massively overtaken.

His ability used to be enough. Now it's nowhere near.

16. lazarus20000

I said he used to be one of the best, but isn't anymore. Also it depends on what the Arsenal Board deems as good enough. At the moment it is enough.

17. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

You said he has the ability. Did you mean 'had'?

What depends on the board exactly?

18. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

We could finish anywhere from 3rd to 6th. That's what I expect. It'd be a rubbish/mediocre season if this happens.

As for what would constitute a 'good' season, well, it's a tricky one to answer. What is 'good' is measured differently by various people. It's so subjective. For example, in some respects, I'd rather have a season like United's last season (i.e. finishing 6th and winning 2 trophies, including one that secures Champions League football) rather than finishing 2nd and winning nothing. Because although our league position would have worsened, we'd have captured European silverware and got an additional domestic trophy, which is no mean feat and substantially improves our European trophy haul. And as they say, teams that win silverware forever imprint their name into footballing history.

That being said, if we ran the league leaders close and put in the closest title challenge since we last won the thing in 2004 but ended up potless, I would be happy because it shows that we've progressed and have demonstrated the ability to compete over a 38 game period. Something that we haven't proven for over a decade now. At the end of the day, so long as we're not easy to beat and top teams dread facing us, whilst showing improvements in our football, I wouldn't be too upset if we didn't win dozens of trophies. Just so long as I know we were trying our utmost best to be a force to be reckoned with again. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the case right now.

19. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

At the moment I am fearful of our central midfield and defence leaking cheap goals. The way Stoke cut through us for their goal was far too easy. Once again we have not addressed this area. There's still time in this window, but history tells us Wenger will go into the season saying that Coquelin and Elneny are good enough .... Prove me wrong please Arsene !

TheBear likes this.
  20. lazarus20000

Yes he still has ability but he no longer has the ability to capture top honours such as the PL or CL.

The Board decides on whether Wenger stays or not ultimately. Although he doesn't meet your or my expectations, he meets theirs.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017