1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New regulations you'd introduce

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by DHCanary, Jan 26, 2011.

1. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hi all,

For most of the last decade, a new season means new regulations, but I was wondering if you'd introduce any new ones yourselves, or scrap any current ones?

Also, what regulations would you want back from the past? Would you want to go back to the original, one hour qualifying, with that mental final few laps? Anyone still want ground effect?

2. di Fredsta!

di Fredsta! Well-Known Member

If two drivers tie in points(same amount of wins), I believe instead of having most seconds, it should be first to win their first race. I also miss the one set of tyres per race from '05

3. Nick HCAFC

Nick HCAFC Active Member

I'd bring back re-fuelling, I don't like this thing now where they have to go into 'fuel-saving mode'.

4. JOSH1297

JOSH1297 New Member

I'm not looking forward to moveable rear wings and i think it will make overtaking quite artificial but I'd love to be proved wrong...

5. JOSH1297

JOSH1297 New Member

Same, refuelling was great and I'm really not to fond of "conserve fuel" and all that nonsense

6. Forza Bianchi

Forza Bianchi Well-Known Member

I would like them to close the pit lane in periods where the safety car is out on track, just like they used to before. It would make the race fairer, and much safer too.

7. JOSH1297

JOSH1297 New Member

@JoseLorca

Have they stopped closing the pitlane? I thought they still did

8. Forza Bianchi

Josh,

The pitlane used to be closed when the safety car was out, but some drivers would run out of fuel, and therefore be forced to pit and serve a penalty. Because this was unfair, they scrapped the rule.

Now that there is no refuelling, the pit lane is always open during the race - which in 2010 meant that almost everyone would pit at the sign of the safety car, and it would cause incidents (Rosberg losing a wheel, Kubica and Sutill collide, etc.)

9. Spanner82

Spanner82 Well-Known Member

no favouritism in F1, each team has 2 drivers, treat them equally

10. JOSH1297

JOSH1297 New Member

Thanks Jose

11. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

This -however hard to enforce would be great.

Am i right in thinking the 107% rule is back now as well? I always thought that was a good idea, might see Hispania caught out this year.
    I'd quite like more tyre manufacturers too, although when Bridgestone worked exclusively with Ferrari, it gave them a big advantage.
    I'd bring back refuelling, I think it gives more options in terms of strategy. Whilst it takes the pressure off overtaking on track a little, the new rear wing and KERS should compensate.

I'd also like to see more teams! Theres still space on the grid for at least 1 team, but I'd really like the grid to be expanded to 15 teams, with a budget that new teams could handle. I'd also like to see more freedom in the rules, so that cars can go in different directions to solve the same problem.

12. glasgowcanary

glasgowcanary New Member

DH what's the 107% rule. I admit I lost interest when itv had f1 but I've never heard of that rule.

As there is no refueling closing the pit lane during the safety car would be good.

13. Forza Bianchi

glasgowcanary,

The 107% rule means that if a driver can only participate in the race if they set a lap time in qualifying within 107% of the fastest driver's lap time.

14. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

so with the 107% rule if Hamilton was to slip up into the barriers on his out lap in Q1 then hes out of the race? obviously that wont happen as McLaren will twist the FIA to let him in

15. Forza Bianchi

El_Bando,

If Hamilton's (or any other driver's) lap time prior to a crash in Q1 is not within 107%, I assume they will not let them race.

I'm not 100% clear on the rules, but i'm sure if one car has mechanical issues, or do not take part in qualifying etc. they should be allowed to race.

16. JugglingJonah

JugglingJonah Member

I would like to see more "fist waving" but not sure how it can be enforced, Alonso's fist waving capabilities are second to none, he gave that Petrov what for and Petrov gave it back.. lets have more of this.

Kimi was pretty cool with his emotions passions, hypothetical of course but how many drivers of old do you think would have reacted the exact opposite than kimi at Canada 2008. Also Jensons Zen like acceptance when Vettel lost it into the side of Jensons car, HK on MW..

James Hunt springs immediately to mind.

17. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

To my understanding, the 107% rule means that if your fastest qualifying lap is outside of 107% of the pole sitters time, then you are unable to compete. However, theres another couple of clauses to it. If you have a poor qualifying session (or crash out) but have posted quick enough time in other sessions, then you should be able to race (I think starting from the pits). I think its up to the FIA. If they are satisfied you will be competitive enough, you are allowed to race.

I think the rule isn't counted when the weather in qualifying changes. For example on a drying track, everyone posts time they are happy with, then right at the end, when the track is driest, someone goes 6 seconds quicker, this would put nearly all drivers outside 107%, so the rule isn't counted.

18. di Fredsta!

di Fredsta! Well-Known Member

Jose, if Alonso does what he done in Monaco, he would still be able to drive. Because in practice he was within the time :)