1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New Dolman

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Red Alert, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

BS are planning to include images from Bristols sporting past e.g cricket, rugby, skating. Losing our own stadium?

2. EnderMB

EnderMB Well-Known Member

That was always going to happen when Lansdown started taking over other sporting clubs. I'm really not a fan of it, but given the clubs finances it's possible that we don't really have a choice but to home other clubs.

3. Red Alert

Its not to do with finance as it isn't linked to sponsors or the rugby. It is down to BS and their new stadium identity.

4. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Not sure why I say this and I know it goes against all logic, but I have a funny feeling that Ashton Gate will one day be given to Bristol Rugby while we move to a purpose built stadium which will be our proper home, either at AV or elsewhere. Really makes no sense but I just get that impression from certain things that have been said/done.

5. Red Alert

Cant see that. but In the egg chasers programme sunday it said Bristol rugby are now equal partners in the stadium????

AV is dead in the water and part of the land is going to be a sports academy.

6. BCFCRob

Technically so, given that the stadium is owned neither by us nor them, we're both just tenants to the parent company. That weighting can be changed at any point though seeing as we have the same owner.

7. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

That is the direction of travel though- I did the Great North run on the weekend and while up there, took the opportunity to go on a stadium tour of St.James'Park. Officially known and plastered on all stands and the players tunnel SportsDirect.com

Impressive is an understatement, but you go around the hospitality suite of which there are 101 boxes costing up to £65,000 for a season.

There has been clear investment in the stadium but its the corporate hospitality that pays the way. That stadium is in constant use. They have a club shop the size of a department store in Broadmead and that's clearly how they make money.

One of the owners is heavily invested with Falcons- They play on a different ground but I wonder for how long?

8. Bigjohnatyeo

Bigjohnatyeo Well-Known Member

That is what will happen, not sure how long though but it will happen!

9. BCFCRob

Do you know something? I've just been reading between the lines of certain comments...

10. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

I said that months ago, but logic says that 2 conference area's in similar area might be self destructive

11. cidered abroad

cidered abroad Well-Known Member

I am a traditionalist! Bristol Rugby should own The Memorial Grounds, Bristol City own Ashton Gate and Bristol Rovers should return to Eastville Stadium.

But the world has moved on since I were a lad.
    Durham, no longer Minor Counties with a cow field to play on are hosting Test matches.
    Big money was always needed to prop up any football, cricket and rugby club but instead of £5 or £10 thousand a year from the local butcher, baker, small engineering company, it now needs £ millions per year just to stay in the race, let alone win it.

So while nostalgia of yesteryear will continue, all of us must look forward and accept that to be successful in this cut-throat professional sports world of the mid twenty first century, some changes will be undertaken.

So we may not have all red seats in the new stadium, and bygone heroes like Big John will share their positions on the concourse walls with Jack Gregory, John Pullin and others. Whether football or rugby is your sport, would you prefer to lose some of the individuality to be successful or languish in the nether regions with red seats and the standing terrace behind the posts at the Mem?

All of the Bristol fans that I spoke to on Sunday, seemed genuinely pleased with Ashton Gate. The new, superb pitch and the prospect of a new up to date stadium. We must be positive that it will be good for City and Bris.

12. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Sorry I don't agree although I am reading and replying on a poxy Blackberry so may have got it wrong
    As a football club we've had little to cheer about and I know we are sharing with the egg chasers, but Ice Skating, cricket, really ???
    Fair play to Robin Cousins but a footballer or rugby player he wasn't

13. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

I've heard the underneath of the Dolman is being turned in to a basketball court for that lot and the underneath of the Atyeo is being turned in to a garage for Dino Zamperelli to do the odd gear box and oil change ...

****in fuming...

14. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

What should be clarified as a matter of urgency is how income generated by BS - BCFC - Rugby is divided.

15. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

They are two separate clubs, that will have to generate their income, the ground fees will be split between them. Bit like two companies running out the same property. Separate income split overheads.

16. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

There was an interview a month or two back on Points West with some bod from
    Bristol Sport at AG at the time that the East End demolition was starting.
    I can't remember his exact words but it struck me that he said something like
    the 'new' stadium would be a great venue for rugby, then there was the slightest of pauses
    before he added and football too.

17. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

Sports academy at Ashton Vale then change of use.. no brainer.!

18. cidered abroad

cidered abroad Well-Known Member

A sports academy will obviously have at least one football pitch with some spectator accommodation.

How much capacity will be acceptable?
    How soon after a 5,000 seat arena was transformed into 35,000?