1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New 36-team Premier League Format

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Che’s Godlike Thighs, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

My girlfriend is always saying, "Please tell me again about your ideas to reform the Premier League, babe"

She can't get enough of it. So I thought I'd share.

Here's my proposed changes to the Premier League (and Championship) format;

- Instead of one league of 20 teams, introduce a two-league system, each with 18 teams. (But both leagues will be equal in terms of quality).

- The placing of each team into either league (let's call them League A & B), will be done by drawing them all out of the hat (a la the FA Cup) before the start of every season (So in 2018/19 Saints might be League B, but then the season after in League A etc)

- Thus, every season each team will face a different set of opponents (Saints might face, say, Leeds for four consecutive seasons, but not meet Forest for six, etc), but the leagues will still theoretically be of the same standard.

- Teams will be seeded depending on where they finish the prior season, to prevent the leagues being too uneven (ie; three teams each from Pot 1, three from Pot 2, and so on)

- In this system, there will be two champions (one of each league - duh).

- The champions would then play each other to see who is the overall winner.

- Lowest two teams from each league get relegated (or maybe have a playoff system to see who stays up)

So, in sum, there would now be 36 Premier League teams, but who still only play 34 games (thus allowing winter break etc) over a season. This will allow the money men to put as many games as they want on TV, while still allowing most games to kick off on Saturdays. Cup competitions could be made more important by affecting the league seedings (FA Cup Winners = Pot 1 etc)

It would also bring back all the sleeping giants of yesteryear who are languishing in the Championship, and imagine how exciting the draw for the leagues would be each season.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    fatletiss likes this.
  2. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Mental. <laugh>
    Seriously, that is bonkers.

3. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Why though?

4. ----HistoryRepeating----

Teams in L1 would be tripping over themselves to bankruptcy trying to enter a lottery that would see ticket prices fluctuate to such extremes that the common man would walk away from the sport.
    Your idea would need good people who love the sport running things, we don't have any of them. Instead we have greedy selfish businessmen with only one thing on their mind. The abuse would be legally criminal.
    And besides, there a lot other other leagues that are far less competitive than the EPL. Although the top six are untouchable, at least they fight.

5. Che’s Godlike Thighs

The two leagues would be of equal quality though. Maybe "A" and "B" are the wrong names. But both leagues would have three teams from Pot 1, three from Pot 2, and so on. Neither league would be a better quality, and thus the placement into each would be irrelevant to money etc.

EDIT: Oh you mean the current League One? Yeah, I haven't got that far, haha.

6. ----HistoryRepeating----

Okay okay, I'll sign up.......but only if I'm in the group without Man City! ;)

7. Che’s Godlike Thighs

That's the beauty of it. Every season is different. Might not have to play City for 5 years. Might have to play them every time.

8. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

It's a very interesting idea and you've obviously put a lot of thought into it but what I really want to know is what does your girlfriend think about it all, babe?

9. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

At the end of the season, is there a grand final to announce the ultimate champion?

10. ----HistoryRepeating----

Yes, there is. Ceremony held at the Eithiad.
    ;)

Munson owns Fosse likes this.

11. Che’s Godlike Thighs

The sad thing is, I dont even have a girlfriend.

12. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Yeah.

13. Saintalona

Saintalona Well-Known Member

I just wonder now if it’s really necessary to have two cup competitions plus the league?

Why don’t they just exclude premier league teams from the league cup?

14. ----HistoryRepeating----

The League cup is our biggest hope at winning something.

Libby likes this.
  15. Cowtownred

Cowtownred Well-Known Member

Just let the top six **** off to their European super league. Bring in a salary cap, have one season only with no relegation and 6 teams go up to the league above them. Get back to the days when the premier league was some what equal.

Archers Road likes this.
  16. Libby

Libby 9-0

That's a pipe dream though and completely unworkable. If the top 6 ****ed off there would still be a top 4/6 of sorts, it would just be different clubs.

17. Cowtownred

But isn't it obvious that the top 6 don't give a crap bout the health of the league? Yes there has to be a top 4-6, but I would think the rest of the league had a chance to challenge them. Let's face it, the likes of Man City etc will become unstoppable! A salary cap is brought in, of which would have to be watertight, any one team in theory run away with the league.

18. Libby

Libby 9-0

A salary cap would have to be worldwide to work, will never happen. As for the health of the league the top 6 are probably more than happy with it ;)

19. Cowtownred

Yep too true!

20. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Yes , but if the top 6 from here , Spain , Italy , Germany all did the same thing .

Surely they would get the Lions share of the money , and fans could get back to watching their local teams affordably , and without the hype ?

That might destroy some egos on here . Hey ho ..They can **** off anyway :)

Cowtownred likes this.