1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ned asked to play for free......

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Tramore Ranger, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A piece on beeb website, the club has declined to comment........

please log in to view this image

Nedum Onuoha made 224 appearances for QPR between 2012 and 2018
    You are the captain of QPR, have just won the Players' Player of the Year award and, at 31, could still have some of your best years ahead of you.

So imagine Nedum Onuoha's surprise this summer when the Championship club asked him to play for free.

The defender refused and later turned down an offer which was "incentive-based against appearances", opting instead to move to the United States with Real Salt Lake in Major League Soccer.

Read the rest here.........https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45481218

2. Ciarrai_Abu

Ciarrai_Abu Well-Known Member

the Championship club asked him to play for free.

Que? How were they asking him to play for free? Am I missing something?

3. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

Just read the same article. Interesting

They essentially asked him to play on with no fixed salary, but pay dependent on appearances. Interesting to note that there are some big, albeit slightly older, names in the list of unattached players. Agbonlahor, Nasri, Bent and Flamini to name a few.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  4. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

I have to say that's a pretty shabby way to treat a player who has been captain and not injury-prone. He obviously wasn't going to get anywhere near his previous deal but as an experienced defender they should at least have made an offer commensurate with that of a senior pro, something we were pretty short of at the start of the season, he'd probably still have turned it down but at least we wouldn't have made ourselves look so curmudgeonly...

5. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

And we are still missing his speed at the back. His replacements don't have it which leaves us often defending too deep, and the whole team, usually also without natural wide men, both stretched and too narrow. Our lack of speed at the back this season also makes playing 3 5 2 a doubtful option, which is a shame as it allows us to get 2 strikers on the pitch and Freeman and Eze in more central positions.

6. KooPeeArr

KooPeeArr Well-Known Member

Basically forced him to leave.

I hope we are paying the aged loanees zilch + incentives but doubt it.

Seems pig headed of us to isolate one player, our captain, like that and then start bawling about lack of experience in the squad.

Didley Squat likes this.
  7. Ciarrai_Abu

Ciarrai_Abu Well-Known Member

Unreasonable to expect a guy to only get paid if he is played. Now if pay was linked to his availability to play...

8. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Let's hope they don't use the same strategy with our out-of-contract players at the end of this season......

The definitive list of how long each and every QPR player has left on their contract

By
    Phil Spencer

• 14:42, 16 OCT 2018

Here's when the current deals of those are QPR are due to run out - with a staggering 15 out of contract next summer.

It could be a busy few months ahead as QPR look to tie down an ever-growing list of stars down to long-term contracts.

The Hoops have a staggering 15 first team players out of contract next summer, including three loan signings who will return to their parent clubs.

Les Ferdinand and co. have moved quickly to tie down hot prospects such as Ebere Eze, Darnell Furlong, Ilias Chair and Aramide Oteh down to longer term deals, but the future of a number of other stars remain up in the air.

Of course a lot of this is down to the club's current financial situation, with a decision on most expected to be made in the closing stages of the 2018-19 season, but that does bring the risk of other clubs swooping.

Nahki Wells - June 2019 (end of loan spell)

Tomer Hemed - June 2019 (end of loan spell)

Geoff Cameron - June 2019 (end of loan spell)

Idrissa Sylla - June 2019

Jake Bidwell - June 2019

Joel Lynch - June 2019

Grant Hall - June 2019

Pawel Wszolek - June 2019 (option for a further year)

Alex Baptiste - June 2019

Jordan Cousins - June 2019

Angel Rangel - June 2019

Paul Smyth - June 2019

Niko Hamalainen - June 2019

Olamide Shodipo - June 2019

Charlie Owens - June 2019

Ryan Manning - June 2020

Massimo Luongo - June 2020

Luke Freeman - June 2020

Matt Smith - June 2020

Josh Scowen - June 2020

Bright Osayi-Samuel - June 2020

Sean Goss - June 2020

Matt Ingram - June 2020

Ilias Chair - June 2020

Toni Leistner - June 2021

Darnell Furlong - June 2021

Ebere Eze - June 2021

Joe Lumley June 2021

Aramide Oteh - June 2021

NorwayRanger, daverangers and kiwiqpr like this.
  9. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Thought Rangel was only until January 2019. Or has it been extended already?

NorwayRanger likes this.
  10. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Good point - I just copied that from the Football.London website, so assume they've made the mistake....

kiwiqpr likes this.

11. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

I wonder whether the contract stated was the only one offered or whether there were other offers which Ned had turned down? Maybe the deal was we pay you what you were on before but if you don't play you get nothing?
    End of the day, he served us well but moved elsewhere. Sometimes a change is good......

NorwayRanger likes this.
  12. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

We moaned when they handed out silly contracts the club could not afford and now we're moaning when they're doing everything they can to get the club back on a sound financial footing. Moaning is the common factor!

It would be lovely to treat everyone generously but it is a business and requires tough decisions at times.

Loved Ned and very grateful for his contribution. He also saw some good times with QPR. All good but time to move on.

13. QPAAAAAGH

QPAAAAAGH Well-Known Member

This really underlines just what an untenable place the ludicrous FFP rules have left us in. We probably couldn't have had Ned on the books at even a fraction of his previous contract and stayed within the constraints we are now working under. A pay-per-play option seems like a raw deal for a loyal player but would have allowed us to avoid having to declare his entire cost up-front and was presumably the only possible way to offer him a deal. I know the club has been the epitome of poor financial management but don't blame them for the unfair and unworkable constraints of FFP (a.k.a. the make 'massive' Leeds United great again scheme).

14. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Here is what he said
    "If you are not in contention at the top of the Championship you are trapped in a kind of purgatory with nowhere to go," he said.

"You end up just playing out the fixtures.

"Do people stay in the Premier League or the Championship because they are the best leagues? This might sound callous but maybe not. Clubs pay a lot and there are home comforts.

"I could've been playing somewhere from June or July but I wasn't necessarily orientated to do that and was fortunate to not be in a financial position where I had to take any offer."

So he didn’t like playing in the Championship but liked the money, which has made him rich enough to turn work down. Methinks he doth protest too much, toys hurled out of gold plated pram. Good riddance.

sku and QPR999 like this.
  15. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I've wondered why he came out and said what he has. Playing for free wasn't strictly true. He played for us for six years, I think I'm right in that he was on upwards of 50k* a week. If we take it that he was on £50,000 a week and without any bonuses or add on's that would equate to at least £15,600,000 in total over the six years. One and a half of those was playing in the Premier League. He must be fully aware of the club's financial situation, so to come out and say this is a bit disingenuous.

* 50k might be a bit conservative ... https://www.givemesport.com/343467-qpr-how-much-money-are-the-flops-earning

sku, Steelmonkey and sb_73 like this.