1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

My thoughts on tonights game

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Minty Fresh, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minty Fresh

Minty Fresh Active Member

A bit of attention whoring but please go easy on me as I don't make threads often.

1. It was my first competitive away game and I was really impressed by the atmosphere, especially after Cabaye's goal. Also I overheard some B'burn fans saying this was the first match between two premier league clubs where there was more away fans than home fans! Not sure if it's true, and even if it isn't our fans desereve credit for tonight <ok>

2. The ref was appauling. Can't be bothered to go into too much detail as he got soooo much wrong!

3. Perch is a liability. It has got to the point where I just feel sorry for him he's so out of his depth. Quite embarrasing really. He doesn't seem to know that defensive headers are meant to go up in the air not down. He does have great comedy value though. The 'Perch is gonna tear you apart' chants amused me, as did his attempt at a bicycle kick in extra-time <laugh>

4. Ben Arfa, Santon and Marveaux were all disappointing. Ben Arfa barely touched the ball, Marveaux cut inside all the time, giving us no width (part of the reason Benny didn't get any space) and Santon wasn't as good as I expected. Although he did improve as the game progressed.

5. Although we lost we did show very good spirit to come back like that. Guthrie and Cabaye deserved the goals as well, our best two players by far. Very good strikes as well. IMO Guthrie deserves to be 3rd choice CM and should come in when Tiote goes off to the ACoN.

6. Simpson was ****e. IMO Raylor is a better player both offensively and defensively.

7. The subs - Lover was actually quite good when he came on. Sammy was very lively for 10/15 minutes but faded. Obertan gave us more width but was as frustrating as ever.

2. Minty Fresh

Also we played Jonas at left-back in extra-time if anyone was confused about the Sammy/Simmo substitution.

3. Jonas' Dance Teacher

Jonas' Dance Teacher Active Member

1. Our fans are the best on the planet, especially in away games. Never fail to impress me
    2. Is it right that he is a lower league ref? Ridiculous considering it was two Premier League games
    3. He is so embarassing, he is well out of his depth. If he was a dog he would have been put down by now lol
    4. I'm disappointed by that. They were the main 3 players I was keeping an eye out for
    5. Our spirit is fantastic and we will respond. I'm not Guthrie's biggest fan, but would probably agree with you. What has happened to Gosling?
    6. Simpson is just an average player. Raylor probably is aswell really, but definetly better than Simpson atm
    7. Pleased Lover did well, Sammy is definetly a good impact player and so is Obertan really, definetly not a starter atm

4. Crouching Shola Hidden Talent

On your first point we do have amazing fans, although I'm sad to say that I was sat near a few lads who were making racist chants throughout. Not nice.

5. Jonas' Dance Teacher

You get idiots like that. They should be reported and banned from matches

6. Minty Fresh

1. Yup
    2. I heard someone say this was his first game reffing PL sides and he completely bottled it, gave everything to the home side (despite them having less fans lol).
    3. Yeah we probably should put him down.
    4. Yeah I was disappointed with all 3 tbh, maybe my expectations were too high, especially with Benny. I think we need to be more patient and not expect miracles straight away.
    5. Gosling played against Scunthorpe and gave the ball away A LOT. I think we need to remember that he is still very young and will improve. But Guthrie was great tonight. Got stuck in, kept the ball nicely, and scored a great goal. Him and Cabaye are both good all-rounders so should be able to work together well.
    6. Yup. Both quite suspect defensively tbh, but Raylor offers soooo much more going forward, Simpson just panics when he gets the ball and just punts diagonal balls in the general direction of the strikers.
    7. I'm also pleased for Lover. Really like his attitude, but he's just a bit **** now so I'm pleased he played well for once.

7. Minty Fresh

Yeah but everyone's fanbase has it's share of morons.

I did have one guy behind me who HATED Guthrie. Whenever he did something wrong he got bollocked, whenever he did something right the guy shouted sarcastically 'the great Danny Guthrie', and he was getting called a 'Championship player' all game despite being, in my opinion, our best player. Some people just have it in for certain players and wont ever change their opinion on them <doh>

8. Jonas' Dance Teacher

1. Think we agreed on that one lol
    2. Ridiculous - think he got everything wrong didn't he
    3. He horendous
    4. Rightly so. All 3 are top class players and should be performing. They will in the future though imo
    5. Think Gosling needs a loan move. Guthrie seems to be more experienced now. Gone up in my estimation with todays performance
    6. Yep, Raylor's setpieces are a bonus too
    7. He has a fantastic attitude, same as Guthrie judging by his interview today. Agreed that he needs to be moved on like, he will be when his deal expires

9. The Situation

The Situation Active Member

Totally agree! Although I'll never change my opinion on the ****ness of Carlton Cole, Barry, Heskey, Gibson, Perch, Karl henry and Downing ;)

10. Minty Fresh

Gonna give up with the whole numbering thing now, too much effort <laugh>

But yeah, I agree with all that. Apart from 'he horrendous' because that is awful grammar, tut tut.

11. Jonas' Dance Teacher

Agree with all of them apart from Downing. I quite like him tbh :)

12. Minty Fresh

The miserable git who sits behind me at home games has it in for Tiote and always has done. Not quite sure how he's still alive.

13. Jonas' Dance Teacher

Haha, I can't spell to save my life. Gave up on trying a long time ago :p haha

14. Jonas' Dance Teacher

There was some young lads behind me at Blackburn at home last season who were slagging Tiote off saying how does he get a game? They are either dare devils risking their lives slagging off Tiote or are just stupid

15. The Situation

The Situation Active Member

The ultimate sin and blasphemy. maybe a free seat going behind you soon.

Also I dont think Downing is the worst player ever (that spot is reserved for Perch) hes just majorly overated and very inconsistent.

16. Jonas' Dance Teacher

Definetly overrated, cost £20m. That must mean that Tiote is worth at least £50m lol

17. Minty Fresh

Oh yeah forgot point number 8.

8. We were extremely reluctant to cross the ball, especially in the first 45. Instead of just hitting it first time the likes of Santon, Guti, Simmo and Marv were all taking 10 touches, playing a one-two, cutting inside, playing it back out to the wing and by the time they had done that the attack had lost lots of momentum. We were also taking a lot more short corners and quick, short free-kicks. It was quite frustrating at times and although I want us to play good football I don't want us to do an 'Arsenal' and try and pass it into the net as that pisses me off when I watch Arsenal and they aren't even my team. The first and third goals were good examples of what we can do if we don't mess around. For the first goal Guthrie picked the ball up, drove into space and hammered it home. For the third goal Obertan actually ran at his man down the line and got in a first time cross. Even though it wasn't a great one we still ended up with a penalty and eventually a goal. A bit more purposefulness to our play would be nice.

18. Jonas' Dance Teacher

Yeah, we should add everything to our game. I don't even mind if we play the occassional long ball if we need to - as long as we get goals.

19. Minty Fresh

I'm not saying play hoofball all the time. I'm just saying we need the right balance between good football and purposefulness in the team.

20. Jonas' Dance Teacher

Yeah, I remember when Arsenal had Adebayor they used to play the odd long ball to him and it worked - I don't see any reason why we can't do that. I want us to play the good passing football mainly though :)

Also agree about the corners - why we can't just whip them in I don't know. We bring the big defenders from the back forward and don't even put it in the box for them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.