1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

My take on the Millwall game.

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Charley Farley, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Charley Farley

Charley Farley Well-Known Member

I watched this on the tv so I’ve a limited perspective on it but a few things stood out for me.

I can’t recall us getting possession from any goal kick. Steele would kick a long ball out to their half and we would attempt a header but fail and they would end up with the ball.
    When Steele threw the ball out we did better.
    The bad thing about this long kick out was that we kept on doing it all through the game even though it didn’t work.

Similarly, our throw ins. I think we lost possession more times than we kept it.

These are surely basics yet we are failing at them.
    In a way it’s good because we can do something about them to put them right although our throw ins always seem to be the same for years, along the line towards the opposition.

I thought Steele played well enough with some good saves.
    Asoro had a poor game when he came on.
    Fletcher didn’t impress.

The first half was fairly even, maybe they just edged it.
    The second half was all theirs.
    I don’t think Millwall are much good and it was two poor teams out there.
    We did have one good move where we kept it on the ground, Short sharp passing on a left wing attack but not much else to get excited about. I think we had 1 shot on target (our goal) but I may be wrong.

We got a hard won point but I didn’t see the beginnings of a great revival.
    Hopefully we were better live than watching on tv.

As an aside, if you check the players ratings on the Echo, does it stop at the fifth player?

clockstander and Nacho like this.
  2. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

I watched the whole game live on tv also, and I feel that we were fine and looked quite good at times in the first half when we were pushing on and attacking.
    However, in the second half this stopped and we played on the back foot, allowing them to control.
    Never the less, it was a good point well earned.

Charley Farley likes this.
  3. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

So, that's what League 1 looks like. Complete with concrete blocks and mascots. Felt like a lowest level minor league baseball game.

4. Vincemac

Ehh

5. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Fletcher has not cut the mustard so far, and I'd prefer to see Asoro and Maja together with McGeady next game if we are to go three up front. It's so obvious with our height disadvantage that we have to keep it on the deck, that it must be down to poor coaching or a lack of ability or both that we do not do this.

Dorset and Charley Farley like this.
  6. BlackAshCat

BlackAshCat Member

In Fletchers case,its just lack of ability. Never seen a centre forward so rooted to the floor. doe'snt jump for headers and not particularly skillful on the ground. A decent centre forward ( Grabbon for instance) would have scored from the cross into the box early on. The lad just has no confidence,and to be honest looks like he's not interested. Like many of our loan signings over the years,he knows he's just got to endure another couple of months then he's back to his home club. And that is probably the crux of our recent problems. None of the loanees,and even some permanent signings (Vaughan for example) have any real commitment to the club,merely seeing it as just another payday

7. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

The “2 poor teams” comment can be attributed to most of our games this season. Can’t recall anyone simply outplaying us. There aren’t many quality teams in the league and, without significant investment, anyone who goes up will likely just come back!

Sad reality is that we’re the worst of a poor bunch!

Charley Farley likes this.
  8. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

The bottom 10 of the PL is not that far off the championship really. Look where Brighton are in the league!!

9. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

The likes of Brighton, Bournemouth etc, may not have many stars but their whole is greater than the parts that make it up. There's unity, a team spirit and self belief that, overall, puts them way way beyond our level at the minute.

10. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

Well perhaps there’s an attitude issue at your club. I don’t know. However, any team that gets promoted this season has a good chance of staying up. The top 4 look good, the rest look like also rans in the PL.

Anyway, I’m tipping you for promotion to the Championship next season ;)

11. Vincemac

Cheers mate
    And il tip you for promotion from the championship

12. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

See I saw effort from Vaughan - I think he wanted to succeed but he just isn't good enough! Fletcher on his debut looked useful - but since then he's gone into the James Vaughan mould! Grabban is class at this level - but I hate the bloke for what he's done! Asks to go back so he can get a permanent move then goes back out on loan to another championship club. Difference between a reserve PL player and a reserve Championship player is massive. Honestly think Maja is a better striker than Fletcher right now.

Confidence is the important thing for all of our lot - hopefully 2 "good" draws (I use the term good loosely but both would be classed as good results if we were outside of the bottom three!) will see us gain a little bit of confidence. Hopefully Asoro can start tomorrow night and that'll make a difference for us

Bizarreknives and clockstander like this.
  13. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

You’ll lose your money mate! Might as well chuck it down the drain

Mackem-Tiz likes this.
  14. Vincemac

A no it’s not looking good for you lot
    But good times will come again
    As for us I’m sure

Mackem-Tiz likes this.
  15. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Wish I was so sure! :)

16. Vincemac

A no mate
    But it will happen some time
    Don’t know when though

17. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

I'm 42 and (obviously) haven't seen us win a single trophy! Something I'd simply love to do before I die more than anything else - but the one thing on my bucket list which is completely out of my control!!

Sad reality is, I watched City last night playing to a half empty stadium sitting top of the league! I used to have time for City fans as they were like us but they simply aren't now. If Sunderland or Newcastle were in that privileged position we'd both have to extend our stadiums!!

Dorset, gelders pie, RTB and 4 others like this.
  18. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

I have often wondered what its like to support a top club at the top of its game season after season, and if that sort of success brings problems that we probably wont ever have to face. The financial commitment for one thing must be considerable and force many loyal fans to pick and choose. Hardly the sort of problems that have worried us since about 1890, so maybe we should be just content with our lot and let them get on with it. <laugh>

19. Vincemac

Yeh all those empty seats
    What’s that all about

20. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

Maybe because football is basically just boring ****e now?