1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

My memory's gone, can anyone remind me?

Discussion in 'Sheffield Wednesday' started by Jerel Ifil, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Jerel Ifil

Jerel Ifil Well-Known Member

Whether Wednesday have won the league since the Great Depression?

I don't think they have, but my memory for the ancient history of insignificant clubs is pretty poor to be honest.

Maybe this economic slump will prove happy hunting for them... or not.

2. leeds down south

leeds down south Well-Known Member

Well i know they've only won the league once under their current name Sheffield Wednesday, the other 3 title successes were won by "The Wednesday".

3. Josh-LUFC

Josh-LUFC Well-Known Member

Hmm, Jerel. I gotta be honest I don't think they have but it'd be wonderful to get confirmation from an actual Wednesday fan

4. St Charles Owl

St Charles Owl New Member

Wow, wumming on a forum that has no wednesday fans on it!!! Brave!!<nahnah>

As regards to your question I can confirm that we last won the league (by which I assume you mean the top division) in the 1930's, so it was during the Great Depression. Of course the present company that resides at the third party owned Elland Road has actually never even played in the top division, so I am not sure what your point is!! But then of course you are hanging on to the achievements of the previous football club that went by the same name aren't you?? Bit naughty that really, surely those achievements were consigned to the history books when that company was liquidated??

Leeds Down South, the name Sheffield Wednesday actually dates back to 1883, indeed our ground at the time had Sheffield Wednesday painted on one of the stands. So all our 4 titles (I think thats more than you if I remember correctly) were won under that name. The club officially changed its name to Sheffield Wednesday in 1929 after which we won the title twice.

Josh, so there you go, you have now heard it from an actual Wednesday fan. Our history is littered with successful years followed by long barren spells, its something we have to live with but it makes life interesting!! In fact we had won the league twice and the FA Cup twice before you guys were even formed!! Still its good to have neighbours who have been successful throughout there history, well thats if you count Manchester as a neighboring city?? As for Leeds, then you have had two great teams, the Revie years and the early 90's, although I hazard a guess that even you guys admit the Revie team was light years ahead of the 90's one!! Since then you. like us, have been struggling to get any traction under crap owners and ever increasing debts. Now we are both on the up so lets hope our "rivalry" is finally fought out in a respectable division, preferably the prem in the next few years!

But hey, we are all from Yorkshire aren't we? We don't particularly care about you, you obviously deeply care about our well being (thank you for that!) and we will be in the same division for the first time in quite a while, so it should be an interesting season!! Good luck with it!<ok>

5. Jerel Ifil

Jerel Ifil Well-Known Member

You think football clubs should be viewed as companies rather than fanbases? <laugh>

I think the wool's been pulled over your eyes - maybe your exposure to the Yanks with their franchise fetish has done it.

You're probably a top flight club in fanbase and trophy cabinet, but it's been an awful long time since you've done anything up there, especially won the thing.

Still, you can celebrate the centenary anniversary of your last league win in the 2030s some time; I'm sure nothing will happen before then. <cheers>

6. St Charles Owl

St Charles Owl New Member

Try telling Rangers if its about companies or fan bases!!

I agree we should avoid the franchise system, its horrible but it was a good point to make anyway!!

As regards us, its now 15 years since we were in the prem, 19 years since we were in a major final and 21 years since we won a trophy, too long!! You are right, we have the fanbase, ground and enough history to be viewed as one of the top 20 teams in the country, but just need the team to complete the set. Still at least we are now finally on the right track!!