1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Multi billionaire needed , are leeds content with premier league lower and mid table

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by sniffer1, Dec 29, 2021.

1. sniffer1

sniffer1 Well-Known Member

To make headway up the premier league and take on the top 4 , Leeds need money at present we have 4.3 billion with 49ers and 450 million with radziani this for me is not enough to get Leeds further than 7th and as we seen our squad is not big enough to cope with injuries and cards and also covid now , I'm hoping fa decide to play games with no crowds for rest of this season as I think this would benefit Leeds firstly Cooper won't panic with no crowd ha ha and Leeds did well last season with no crowd , apart from this we need to get another multi billionaire in or we face the position we are in every season , what's your thoughts on these ? And what players to go for in janaury ? And don't forget if Leeds don't get amongst the tropheys players can get their heads turned by other successful clubs.

2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

There is a blueprint for beating the system but it relies on the top 4 to have shyte seasons like when Leicester won the league. The foxes model needs a top scouting network so top unknown players brought in and then rip it up, then sold on for 300% more than paid for, even much higher. Profits invested in new players again and the cycle goes on with the club getting into Europe every season.

It took Man City a couple of years to develop and spend the petrol billions before they succeeded, same with Chelsea and as we’ve seen with Man Utd and Spurs a crap owner can destroy the hard work. Real Madrid and Barcelona have been overtaken by Athletico because of crap owners. PSG didnt win the league last season, Bayern Munich did on fans ownership so not all about pure cash as other things come into play. Ownership, board of directors, head coach, coaching team, scouts and an agreed business plan

3. Brizzlewhite

Brizzlewhite Well-Known Member

Everyone decried Chelsea, Man City etc 'buying' the league but plenty of LUFC fans would be more than happy for the same to happen here - however - Doc is bang on, it took a while for the billions to impact the performances on the pitch.

4. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

We are stuck with billionaire owners of certain clubs and the riches and trophies it brings there is very little that can be done about that.

But there are certain things the league could do to make it a more level playing field, perhaps a transfer spend limit, say, £120m over the 2 windows. Also something could be done about the number of kids clubs like Citeh and Chelsea mop up, there's a rule regarding how many players you can take on loan, so why not make one about how many you can loan out, players are going to these clubs for daft contracts only to be loaned out to get their football and they know this, if the numbers were limited, perhaps they'd think about it more if they weren't going to play and these clubs demanding fees for their services

ristac, foolee, Jammy 07 and 2 others like this.
  5. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

If you have a transfer spending limit then you would need to have a wages limit as well otherwise transfer fee spending would shift to wages spending to attract players.

foolee likes this.
  6. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

I'd agree but a)apparently that's against employment laws b) they're doing that now

7. Eric Le Merde

So which is happening. I haven't seen any discussion about salary caps on footballers, but I can't say I've been looking either. Clearly though if you limit transfer fees then players would be exchanged for a nominal fee but attracted to the bigger clubs by high salaries.

8. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

There was talk of salary caps years back but it was immediately dismissed because of employment law.
    See what you mean about the fees but clubs aren't going to want their players leaving for peanuts , I just think it will lead to a better deployment of talent

9. Eric Le Merde

I think is you had a salary cap then transfer fees would essentially disappear, as they have in other sports. The cap would have to be agreed to across FIFA, so it's never going to happen, but the transfer fee system appears to me to only help one group of people, the agents and that money then goes out of the game.

The NRL here have been doing it for years for the following reasons

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 6.37.16 am.png

In the US the NBA, NFL and NHL also have salary caps for the same sort of reasons

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    foolee likes this.
  10. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

But they also use a draft system whereby the best players are shared out amongst all the teams to make the sport fairer and stop having a top 4 clubs. Yes the draftees can be traded so that team B has a great player and they can trade him for 2,3,4 or 5 players from another team, depending on the quality of the player. The players will already know what contract each of the teams are offering. Remember we have a hell of a lot of yank owners who will be pushing towards this system, just like they will push towards the premier league having its own broadcast company like F1 or NFL and NBA which means more money for clubs….

11. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

To be honest, other than our League position i wouldn't change a thing about the PL.

Maybe I'll be lucky enough to become jaded by it all in a few years but for now I'm more than happy to try and take on the big boys with less resources. We've done it before and we'll do it again. At the end of the day it's 11 v 11 and when you get a great team together like we did under Revie and Wilkinson there aint no stopping us.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  12. Eric Le Merde

You know as well as anybody that getting a team of 11 good players together just isn't going to happen. As soon as any of the "team" show promise they will be offered extra salary at a top 6 team and off they go. The reason a salary cap has happened in other sports and leagues is because advertising revenue was falling as well as audience/ spectator figures because the top team(s) kept winning. I don't see the PL changing from within but should revenue start to fall due to people getting bored with the predictability then it may just be appropriate for the PL to introduce a cap on salaries in order to bring some excitement back.

ristac likes this.
  13. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sadly football is broken until Sky TV goes tits up and that doesn’t look likely. I do agree a bit more could be done to level the playing field specially with the youngsters at clubs. Limits would mean more of them developing and actually playing at lower league clubs so signing them would put money back into our lower league teams.

You really wouldn’t need salary caps if there was a huge hit on the amount of youngsters you were allowed as teams would be spending several million buying lower league players when they progressed and I’m sure more of them would with proper football.

Have an U16 and U21 league with no players over those ages allowed to compete in either. Scrap u23s and if teams want to bring injured players back with some match practice they can arrange a friendly. I’ve always thought it was wrong allowing first team players to turn out in u23 squads unless they’re u23

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
  14. xbpod

xbpod Well-Known Member

Not too sure about employment laws stopping a cap as they have it in rugby union.

15. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

Being more of a gentleman's sport, they may have a gentleman's agreement in place regarding it. You wouldn't get that in football. Having said that the Bundesliga have one in place, regarding the amount of German players that must start in a game.

16. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Theres already a salary cap in the EFL for leagues 1&2 it was brought in August 2020

17. xbpod

xbpod Well-Known Member

No it's an enforceable cap. Saracens were kicked out of the prem for breaching it.

18. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

Oh, fair enough, I just remember reading it would be against employment law when it was first mentioned, perhaps the report I read was wrong or the law has changed or doesn't apply.