1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mourinho's tactics in big away games

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by District Line, Oct 26, 2014.

1. District Line

District Line Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Having reflected I feel both City and United were there for the taking at 0-1 but we could have had no complaints if we'd been a goal down at half time in both.

Mourinho's record in home games v top sides is nothing short of remarkable but you have to question his negativity in big away games, it was different at City & Liverpool away last season because we had to win.

Hopefully this doesn't cost us. There's not many games left on paper where we should fail to pick up points. If we can come out of Anfield unscathed the loss(es) this season will probably come away to midtable sides or Mourinho's bogey grounds like Villa and Newcastle.

2. JCC87

JCC87 Member

For me he chucked Mikel on too early. And if anyone should have been hooked it would have been Fabregas for me, Oscar is better at winning the ball back. Ivanovic is lucky we have a Capital One cup game otherwise we be struggling next week for a back four.

3. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

I see your point District, especially at Utd. Apart from his remarkable goal, Drogba was ineffective. Jose could easily have switched him for Shurrle, or even added Schurrle to the attack and not brought Obi on. We had control of the game then gave it away by settling for the 1-0. Fabregas had an off day as well with some woeful passing, though he's probably entitled to that. Instead of upping the ante and really going for it, Jose did the opposite for mine. Two points lost, if not exactly given away. We definitely need to play a midfielder other than Obi in these situations. What does Abe have to do to get a run, he's been excellent and surely we have a kid who would be as effective as Drogba was today?
    The ref played his part too, had a shocker. One dead set penalty not given was pretty poor, but any ref who needs to make 9 bookings and a sending off is not good enough for a game like this. Trouble is, where do you find one who is?

4. ChelseaCOE2012

ChelseaCOE2012 Well-Known Member

Drogba was great, had nothing to work with, scored a goal and won pretty much every header and aerial battle

5. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We dropped 4 pts from commanding position against CIty & utd. Jose's mistake. Hope we don't regret in May.

About Ref -
    Mark Clattenburg - At the bridge when Robbie was managing us, - we were top of the league - We trailed 2-0 and was drawing 2-2. we played with 10 after Ivan touched young for a straight red - Few mins after - When Evans touched Nando, Nando was shown second yellow for that. Still 2-2 and we played with 9 against Manures - In the dying minutes an offside goal gave them 2-3 win.

Those were the days. Dowd is back to where he belongs with them.

6. atcham jack

atcham jack Well-Known Member

the away games do not come much bigger than Tuesday. Floreat Salopia! do hope your 1960Bedford superglide plaxton coach makes the journey

7. Varier2

Varier2 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have wondered about this too. Maybe it is just harder to kill off the big away games though?

8. Drogs

Drogs Well-Known Member

Agree DL. Every big away game is a tedious afair under Mourinho, won't complain about it if we win some silverware though.

9. chelsea - over 100 years of history

Whilst it is disappointing to have dropped 4 points against the Manchester clubs late on in games we were winning, you'd have to say a point in each is a good result when considering we've won every other game. We've probably had the hardest fixtures of the top sides and are sitting 6 points clear of our nearest rival with a better goal difference. I'd have taken that at the start of the season.

If we don't win the title, it wont be because we drew at United, it'll be because we dropped silly points in games we should be winning like last season.

I think we look in good shape though.

10. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

point of the matter is we could have easily annihilated both the manchester clubs mental side - if we held on to win these two games.

Now they get tremendous boost feeling they fought back against the leaders! These 2 draws are more like win for them, for us these draws are 2 losses.

11. EalingBlue

EalingBlue Member

It says a lot about where we are, that we are disappointed to 'only' come away with a point, at United and the Etihad.

Lots of if's, but's and maybes, but not feeling too depressed.
    There is always a slight feeling of unease when Mikel comes on with 20 minutes to go, when we are only sitting on a 1-0 lead.
    It worked out fine against Arsenal, didn't work yesterday, but that was mainly due to Brana being a bit brainless, and the ref being a bit of a cnut.
    The flexibility of Fabregas, and some real pace on the break, means even a defensive setup can create chances.
    I agree with CP, maybe swapping Schurrle with Drogba a bit earlier, would have kept them on the backfoot.

We should be confident going into the next few games.

12. chelsea - over 100 years of history

Perhaps but that's not really played out with City since they got that draw with us. Since then they've lost to West Ham and continued to struggle in the C.L. United have City next so could conceivably be 13 points behind us this time next week.

Whilst we were winning both games, I don't think it could be said we were clearly the better side in either. I always subscribe to the theory v rivals that you win your home games and get at least a point away. So far so good in this regard, especially as we won at Everton too.

13. I don't think it matters what tactics Jose employs, unfortunately nobody is getting the title other than you guys this season #yourstolose

14. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

This.

Don't see what the problem is. Your league season will depend very little on your results against United, Livpl, City, Arsenal. You'll beat more teams than any of your rivals and win the league.

But it is a concern for your CL run. Not so much that you need to kill teams off, more so that you are able to close a game out at 1-0 against the big boys of Europe. I don't think your defence looks solid enough to do that atm.

15. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Not really, you scored first. That's the only reason you feel disappointed about not winning. Had United taken the lead and Chelsea equalised in the 93rd minute, you would have been satisfied with a point. Same at City.

16. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

Mourinho is obsessed with bringing Mikel on everytime you go infront. It's his most predictable substitution. I said to my mate who I was watching the game with, as soon as Chelsea scored, that Mikel would be off down the line warming up. And within seconds there's a shot of Mourinho giving Mikel his orders.

Park the bus, don't cross the half way line, pass the ball sideways or backwards, break up play, take a booking if you have to, says Mourinho to Mikel. Yes boss, I know the drill says Mikel :biggrin:

17. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hi Shergar. Just saw your name pop up on latest posts. How are you these days?

18. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

Im all good Ron, hope all is well?

Good to see your still mod on the horse racing board, how's it going on there? :biggrin:

19. CFC: Champs £launderx17

True. But to be fair, Van gaal packed the midfield and man marked too. 451. Surprising for United at home too

20. Stan

Stan Stalker

You really have absolutely no idea about what you're watching on your TV box lad!