1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mourinho is confirmed as manager

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by LockStock, Nov 20, 2019.

1. LockStock

LockStock Well-Known Member

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2019/november/jose-mourinho-appointed-new-head-coach/

We are delighted to announce the appointment of Jose Mourinho as Head Coach on a contract that runs until the end of the 2022/23 season.

Jose is one of the world’s most accomplished managers having won 25 senior trophies. He is renowned for his tactical prowess and has managed FC Porto, Inter Milan, Chelsea, Real Madrid and Manchester United. He has won a domestic title in a record four different countries (Portugal, England, Italy and Spain) and is one of only three managers to have won the UEFA Champions League twice with two clubs, FC Porto in 2004 and Inter Milan in 2010. He is also a three-time Premier League Champion with Chelsea (2005, 2006, 2015).

Commenting on the appointment, Chairman Daniel Levy said: “In Jose we have one of the most successful managers in football. He has a wealth of experience, can inspire teams and is a great tactician. He has won honours at every club he has coached. We believe he will bring energy and belief to the dressing room.”

Speaking on his appointment, Jose said: “I am excited to be joining a Club with such a great heritage and such passionate supporters. The quality in both the squad and the academy excites me. Working with these players is what has attracted me.”

2. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Banter club.

3. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

It will go one of two ways, watch this space :)

4. LockStock

LockStock Well-Known Member

I’m still stunned. I hope this is the answer. I really do. <yikes>

5. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

How can he be the answer? “He’s a serial winner”. He’s been **** for years. He rubs everyone up the wrong way, needs a tonne of cash (which he won’t get) and has no class. In a year, we’ll be back to square 1. - quite possibly very damaged.

6. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

I called the Maureen appointment the second the Poch was sacked although it was very un Levy. Now I'll say if it looks like a Chinese takeover, smells like a Chinese takeover, it probably is a Chinese takeover.

Maureen would only come if money was guaranteed
    Levy ain't going to spend it.
    The potential buyer wanted Maureen

The Enic out people will very soon get their wish.

7. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

The current situation at Spurs doesn't look well suited to Mourinho, for sure.
    The issues with some unsettled players won't just go away - and getting rid before spending a fortune to replace them doesn't seem to be an option (it wasn't for Poch).
    There must be something afoot!!

BrunelGooner likes this.
  8. mustyfrog

mustyfrog Well-Known Member

as a neutral, worst decision the club has made in a long time

9. Left on the Shelf

Left on the Shelf Well-Known Member

Bad choice..... A bad day for the club.

10. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

FFS...stop already ... you're like the geezer on the titsnic who is heard saying "told it were sinkable" as he goes down with the ship...
    Just stop....pleeeeeaaaaassssseeeee for the sake of the little children in my school who are going to suffer if you tip me over the edge ... <grr>

11. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

It’s a massive risk, and one we’re taking transparently to do one thing and one thing only - win trophies. There seems to have been a fair bit go on behind the scenes with Poch in the last year or so but we had all discussed on here as well that he’d never gotten over the line with us, and some of us were beginning to doubt he ever would. Mourinho wins silverware everywhere he goes and I’d be surprised if by hook or by crook we hadn’t won a trophy by the time his contract comes up.

Big questions over him coming here around what he’s been promised in terms of spending, his style of football, and how the players will react to him digging them out. The Pogba situation finished him at United when the club and fans backed the player over the manager - we don’t have a singular personality as vocally divisive as Pogba here, but Poch did want to move players on the last couple of windows and Levy didn’t always play ball it seemed, though he had at the start with the Kaboul Cabal. Mourinho does have a better way with older players as well it seems, whereas Poch gravitated towards youth. Will that suit us?

What gives me hope? Mourinho thrives off adversity and as a club this is certainly where we are at. We’ve gone from being one of the best teams in the league to absolutely dire form, and the atmosphere and perception of the club from outside is as low as it’s been at any point under Poch’s tenure. Mourinho has been through a similar cycle himself - if he can draw that together and create a unity in the dressing room that drives the squad to prove everyone wrong about the players, their manager, and the club, then this will work. It’s a tall order tough, and I think we’d better hold on tight - it’s likely to be a bumpy ride.

COYS

12. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Since AVB...that was always going to be a ****ing car crash and he still has not had another job in a top league since (5 yrs ago)...or since Sherwood (who then got about 5 months at Villa and ain't managed) ...or since Ramos...or since Santini (don't think he managed since us)...or Hoddle (only managed wolves for a year or so after us)...or bloke in a coat (never managed after us)...
    That is a lot of bad appts over the past 20 years...but this one could wreck us for several years <wah>

13. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Mourinho is just AVB with money. Without it, well, he’s just AVB.

hope you’re all ready for some exciting football. And we thought the last 6-9 months under Poch were bad...

14. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

I don't understand why you would be giving Jose a lot of money to spend (You will) when Poch had to stick with the same squad. If you'd given Poch more money he'd still be here and you'd probably have a trophy.

I never thought Jose would get another top job after his last couple of disasters. He's a dinosaur when it comes to tactics. He cant compete with the likes of Pep and Klopp. Terrible appointment.

15. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

I would certainly expect a few good results. A change is often temporarily motivating. In the medium term this will come down to whether the current squad is as good as they appeared until recently ir whether it had been over achieving because of Poch 'magic'. If the former then Mourinho will do ok. If the latter then we are back to finishing mid table

16. PowerSpurs

The new stadium makes a step change in how much we can spend under ffp so history is no guide to the future on spending.

17. perrymanlegend

perrymanlegend Well-Known Member

I am shocked and not shocked.
    As many have said you can find cryptic clues from Poch going back to last season that all was not well, but the league table doesn't lie and usually that means only one thing. As for Jose I hope that he can adapt his methods to satisfy the most diehard Spurs fan into thinking he can reshape this unhappy squad into a cohesive winning team without pissing people off in the process.

18. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

You never give Poch any money but you'll be finding plenty for Jose.

19. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

There used to be a football club over there.

ENIC out.

20. PowerSpurs

That is probably true but it is driven by the increased revenue we now have. It wasn't an option before without breaking ffp rules.