1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mogga's take on Dan Neil

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Dec 10, 2022.

1. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spo...ws/sunderland-boss-tony-mowbray-sets-25714603

TM ON DAN NEIL

Tony Mowbray has spoken of his admiration for Dan Neil, who he actually wanted to sign while managing Blackburn. But he also mentioned where the midfielder can improve to become even better...

BLACKBURN
    "If you picture me sitting in my office at Blackburn Rovers last season talking to Veno [assistant Mark Venus] about players, he was saying to me 'the best player in League One is Dan Neil, you've got to go and get him gaffer - you've got to go and get him', and I was saying 'I haven't seen him'. I didn't really study him, but Mark had studied him a lot. Veno was telling me how good he is on the ball because he likes possession football, and playing forward and blah, blah, blah."

GROWTH
    "Now we're here [at Sunderland] and I see the qualities, but I also see the personality that needs encouraging, needs pushing, needs showing the repetition of what he has to do. He's still got lots of growth in him."

OFF THE BALL
    "Out of possession, I naturally drive players to get tight, to close down, to win balls, to stop the opposition playing. I think the sooner you win the ball back, the more possession you've got to hurt the opposition with. I'm a bit uncomfortable sometimes - unless you are playing against a top team - sitting in a passive shape, not trying to win the ball back."

AGGRESSIVE
    I preach to Dan Neil about playing on the front foot, being aggressive, putting your body in, trying to win it back - not standing two or three yards away thinking you are doing something. I could still play if you give me three yards to pass round you! Good players only need a yard of space, they can pick passes."

DIFFERENT ASPECTS
    "Dan is listening to that. He has enough physicality in his game. I think it's important if you are going to be a top midfield player, you have to bring both aspects of the game - not just be good with the ball, and hope the manager thinks 'it doesn't matter out of possession because we've got this Rottweiler next to him'."

NEIL/BELLINGHAM
    "Jude Bellingham is the case in point, he is showing [with England] he can drive with the ball, he can pass it, he can win it back, he presses really well, and everyone is talking about him being worth hundreds of millions of pounds. So for Dan Neil, OK we can see your quality on the ball so let's see you out of possession on the front foot, aggressive, athletic, strong. If he wants to be a top player, if he wants to play at the top level, he has to bring all these aspects of his game forward."

Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
  2. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

The lad has talent but spends too much time watching the match imo ....

...he has one or two great moments every game, needs to increase that to half a dozen.

3. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Good read Tees, TM is a proper manager and the more I hear him speak he puts our previous incumbents to shame.

FellTop, Gil T Azell, rooch 3 and 3 others like this.
  4. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

Good article, another one where TM has lots of praise for the player intermixed with sound advice on what needs to improve

5. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Trying to break his habit of turning into trouble and giving the ball away in dangerous places

Whilst utilising to best advantage his ability to make great attacking passes.

Imho he is improving!

6. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

I am a huge fan. I think he can go to the top in the game. I like Mowbrays points though, plenty of room for improvement. He is definitely better off the ball this season, more physical. I read somewhere he is near the top for tackles made. I would like to see him carry the ball more. He is only 20 though and had 1 season. Loads of time to keep improving.

7. Scout73

Scout73 Well-Known Member

Hes come on so much since the start of last season. Still loads of areas to improve on but he will only get better.

Do not understand the criticism of him at all

Nacho, FellTop and cumbrianmackem like this.
  8. FellTop

I do think the criticism has died down. I think people are appreciating him more now, probably because of his work rate. He can still get bypassed a bit at times, like the first half againt Milwall, but second half he put a right shift in, without being his usual ball playing self. He is learning so much. Delighted to hear Venus rates him so much, will be massive for his development that, which may not have been the case under Neil. Like I say, I am a massive fan, the lad has so much talent.

Scout73 likes this.
  9. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

I'd be making Neil watch that Hendo clip from itv and just let it sink in what can be achieved with hard work and dedication

Nacho and FellTop like this.
  10. FellTop

Funny thing is he is more technically gifted than Hendo was, in my opinion. Hendo is all about attitude and work ethic, with a good slice of ability. If Neil develops that attitude and determination then he will be some player indeed. Not a criticism of Hendo by the way, he is the man still.

Nacho and Chunksafc like this.

11. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

I loved that. Goosebumps

Chunksafc likes this.