1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic News & Current affairs (merged)

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by ForestHillBilly, Feb 6, 2020.

1. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

The Donald is changing his tune (yet again) regarding America's recovery from Coronavirus <whistle>

A few days ago he proclaimed the country would be back at work by Easter <doh>
    Now it's 1st of June apparently :emoticon-0158-time:

I love the way he emphasises his latest soundbite by saying "listen to this" and then repeating himself.
    I doubt that anybody is paying any attention to his wittering.
    He changes his hopelessly unrealistic stance every couple of days.

2. The Penguin

The Penguin Well-Known Member

What gets me about him is that when he changes his mind and comes out with some new nonsense his army of fans cheer him on. It's a bit like the Communist Party where if the party line changes you have to change your opinion too, and he has Fox News and Twitter to tell them what to think. I was watching an interview with a middle-aged American woman and she was like a star-struck teenage groupie; her actual words "I love everything that comes out of him". No sign of this changing.

lardiman likes this.
  3. lardiman

Forum Moderator

To people like that Trump is no less than a Cult leader. A magical figure that they worship in denial of all reality.

Even before this virus crisis, some Americans were beginning to worry about the peaceful transition of power if Trump loses the 2020 election.
    If he decided to refuse to accept he had lost and said some inflammatory things, there could be mass outbreaks of violence.

4. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

He’s made a complete fool of himself over Coronavirus. This is where you need intelligent and well educated people at the head of your Government.

It brought it home again what a buffoon he is when he signed the Presidential order forcing General Motors to make ventilators - about 8 flunkeys were standing within coughing distance of him, and he forced each of them to take a souvenir Presidential pen.

This act is a long established tradition in the US - but NOT in the midst of a public health crisis.

Unfortunately for the American people, the Democrats have chosen a near 78 year old man showing clear signs of early dementia.

5. The Penguin

Biden's choice of running-mate will prove vital.

6. The Penguin

I've never seen him as anything other than a piece of human waste since he publicly mocked someone for having cerebral palsy, and also mocked a Republican rival who was a POW for getting caught. John McCain was tortured during his spell, while trump was a draft-dodger.

lardiman likes this.
  7. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Yes. Trump's mockery of former US service people who were captured in the line of duty was sickening.

It's a reflection of Trump's admiration for Putin and Stalin.
    The Soviet Union imprisoned uncounted thousands of their own troops who returned home after being captured by the Nazis during WW2.
    For years they were kept in Gulags in Siberia, because Stalin was convinced they were traitors or spies.
    Most were only released after Stalin died.

I was not a fan of much of what Senator John McCain stood for.
    But he was 100 times the man Donald Trump will ever be.

The Penguin likes this.
  8. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I'm disappointed by some of what Sir Kier Starmer has come out with yesterday.

Pushing the Government to talk about an "exit strategy" from the lockdown.

Perhaps you really are as dim as you look on Telly Sir Keir.
    There IS NO EXIT STRATEGY from this Coronavirus crisis.
    We have to learn to live with it, until a vaccine is available.
    Nobody is just going back to their normal lives in a few week's time.
    We must be extremely careful.
    Restrictions may be lifted very gradually, when medical advice recommends it. And not before.
    Right now we haven't even seen the worst of the epidemic yet.
    We're still building new hospitals at breakneck speed for f*ck sake.

Pressing the Government for future dates to relax lockdown rules that he knows they cannot provide is just divisive populism.
    He wants to get onside with people, and is willing to use their current frustration to turn them against the Government.
    That's a shameful tactic.

Support the Government's efforts to save lives Sir Keir. Don't play on people's impatience to get cheap shots in against the Tories.

9. Smudger603

Smudger603 Well-Known Member

<laugh><laugh><laugh>

Attached Files:

lardiman likes this.
  10. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I hear Ed Milliband is back in the Shadow Cabinet.

I'm not a great fan of Ed, but he was not one of Corbyn's swivel-eyed loony Marxists. So I think this is a positive move by Sir Keir Starmer <ok>
    Labour MUST move away from the extreme Left if it is to regain any of its lost ground.

11. Ponders Revisited

Ponders Revisited Well-Known Member

Could it be true that Keir Starmer, whilst working for the CPS, decided not to recommend the prosecution of Jimmy Savile? The rumours are quite persistant in some quarters and could prove to be extremely embarrassing if founded on truth.

12. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I think that will depend on when* Starmer made that recommendation (if indeed he did at all).

From what I previously understood there were no criminal prosecutions imminent while Saville was alive.
    I don't know how many allegations about him were reported to Police before his death - what kind of dossier they had on him.

Although a lot of people who worked around him in TV etc. came out to say what a "wrong 'un" he was,
    again I don't recall anybody doing this in public until after the scandal broke.
    We should be cautious about assuming that the authorities "knew everything" about him long before the Public did.
    That is a popular 'conspiracy theory' point of view which is by no means always true.

I do remember a woman in The Sun Newspaper claiming she was Saville's love child,
    at pretty much the same time he died (before his crimes became known). Presumably she was after some of his estate.
    Oddly enough once he had been exposed, she went very quiet indeed.

I'm not comfortable with this rumour. I had not heard it before.
    And I'm not going to put any store by it unless some pretty solid evidence exists to back it up.
    If it is baseless, it's a nasty slur.

* I remember a story about some people wanting Saville prosecuted and tried after his death.
    If Keir Starmer took the decision not to do that, I would not hold that decision against him.
    The trial of a deceased person is unheard of in British Law as far as I'm aware, at least in the last several hundred years.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  13. Ponders Revisited

Ponders Revisited Well-Known Member

Apparently, the decision not to prosecute Savile was taken in 2009, when Savile was still very much alive. From what I gather, Sir Keir signed off on this utterly atrocious decision.

In fact, Sir Keir's record with the CPS leaves a lot to be desired.

14. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Without knowing any of the details, I would say it was a wrong call not to prosecute back in 2009.

But the details are all-important.
    Those who want to knock Starmer down will use this against him, his supporters will play it down.
    The trouble is, there will probably never be a definitive account of who knew what.

My natural feeling is to give this new Opposition leader a chance.
    It could have been a lot worse - we might have ended up with Comrade Rebecca Wrong-Daily.

15. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

16. lardiman

Forum Moderator

<diva> :emoticon-0164-cash: :emoticon-0171-star: SHOWBIZ SHOWBIZ :emoticon-0171-star: :emoticon-0164-cash: <diva>

Harry and Meghan (Sussex Royale) have proclaimed that they will
    no longer cooperate with or speak to The Sun, The Mirror, The Mail and The Express newspapers.

Their Disloyal Highnoses did stress that this was not a blanket ban on conversing with the printed media.

They will continue to pose and gush for Hello, OK, Country Life...<bubbly>
    At our expense of course.

17. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

I have to confess that I have NEVER purchased a copy or even read a copy of …. Country Life... Hello or even … OK Magazine!

I trust that I am not now paying towards protection officers for Princess Di's son and that failed American actress?

18. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Not directly AHLL.

But I understand Harry & Meghan are still being supported by the Prince of Wales through the Duchy of Cornwall.
    In effect, the Bank of (step)Mum & Dad's serfs and villains.

I've just read that if you are a resident of Cornwall and you die without leaving a will, all your worldly goods go to the Duchy.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  19. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Same thing for the rest of us, if you die intestate (without a will) then the Intestate rules apply and if no heirs can be found then your goods go to The Crown! …. So.… MAKE A WILL!!

20. lardiman

Forum Moderator

:emoticon-0157-sun: Happy VE Day everyone! :emoticon-0157-sun:

We beat the Nazis, we'll beat the Virus <ok>

Smudger603 likes this.