1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic News & Current affairs

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by ForestHillBilly, Feb 6, 2020.

1. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

I hear the next series of the popular TV jungle programme where they eat grubs and stuff is going to be filmed in Scotland rather than Australia.

They could call it I'm an Englishman - Get me out of here!

2. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I hear there have been a few raised eyebrows at the latest Grand Prix.
    Not only did some drivers not take the knee before the race, some were not even wearing their BLM supportive t-shirts.

England are due to play some International matches soon.
    Will England players take the knee during the playing of the National Anthem?

It will be very interesting to see whether they do or not.
    If the knee-taking is done at the starting whistle of the match itself (as with Club games) the impact will be far less. Everybody has got used to that.

3. lardiman

Forum Moderator

We knew this was coming ...
    President Trump wants to delay the US Presidential Election (until a time he thinks he has a better chance of winning it) <doh>

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53599363

House and Senate most senior Republicans have turned him down flat.
    They want to win the next Election as much as he does, but they are not mentally unhinged.
    They understand the devastating consequences of delaying the election - especially for the reasons Trump is putting forward.

Both the Senate and the House would have to approve any delay to the US Election.
    The Republican Party only has a majority in one of those chambers, but I cannot believe they would all vote along party political lines even there.

Trump is now a liability to their prospects of another 4 years in Presidential power.
    However, I don't think the Republican Party has the power to 'de-select' him before the Election.
    They did have an opportunity to vote him out a while ago, but they would not vote to impeach him.

I think there is now serious danger to the peaceful transition of power in the United States.
    That is a shocking thing to say about a country that holds democratic freedom so dear.
    The Country that helped Britain stand up alone in Europe against Nazi tyranny for a long time before the US actually entered WW2 (after Pearl Harbour).

In the US now I gather there is a kind of underground army.
    It's been growing for some years, inspired by a global conspiracy theory.
    These people are Trump Fanatics. Zealots who believe in Trump's right to be President above and beyond respect for democracy or the US Constitution.
    People who really believe if Trump loses the Election it will be because of a 'Deep State' conspiracy organised by an international empire of child abusers (which now looks like a pretty transparent cipher for Jewish people, convenient for sidestepping any accusations of Antisemitism).
    They are supposed to be ready to rise up, if Trump loses the Election.

I don't know how powerful these people are.
    Probably not enough to actually pull off a Coup.
    But there could be a wave of violence across America if the result of the Election doesn't go their way. Many innocent people could be hurt or even killed.

I hope I'm wrong about that.
    But Trump is showing no signs whatsoever of wanting to discourage these people or temper their fanaticism. Indeed he seems to add fuel to it with many of his tweets and his general attitude.
    Almost unbelievably, Trump has even refused to say he will accept the validity of the result if he loses the Election on November 3rd.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  4. lardiman

Forum Moderator

It's about time this issue was addressed;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53607147

Passenger flights cut to almost zero - great for the environment (if bad for jobs).
    More and more people going vegan - great for the environment.
    Electric cars - better on balance for the environment than petrol/diesel cars.

Ever higher sales of gas-guzzling giant Four Wheel Drive vehicles (SUV's) to people who don't need them - rotten for the environment.

What is the obsession with these massive monsters that clog up roads and car parks?
    There is absolutely NO NEED for them in city environments, where about 99% of people who buy them live.
    They are just expensive shiny toys.
    Totally at odds with the trend towards more eco-friendly technology.

SUV's make up 40% of new car sales in the UK - total insanity.

Fully electric cars make up only 2% of sales.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  5. Smudger603

Smudger603 Well-Known Member

Two words - willy waving

lardiman likes this.
  6. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

I work in the electronics industry, fully electric cars are currently not practical for most people, we need a massive improvement in battery technology (which is being researched) before they can compete with hybrids or fossil fuel cars

7. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Very sorry to hear about the tragedy in Beirut.
    Hundreds dead, thousands terribly wounded, and a vital port destroyed.
    Those in authority there (and in political power there) have some grave questions to answer.

I hope our Government in the UK can reassure the public that there are no warehouses in any UK port cities containing thousands of tons of Ammonium Nitrate. Or if there are, that the material is being stored under the strictest possible safety standards and constant monitoring.

Also if there are such stores here, why is it necessary to store this dangerous material in such huge quantities all in one location?

I don't know the explosive potential of Ammonium Nitrate compared to TNT.
    But the explosion in Beirut is likely to have been the equivalent of a 1 or 2 kiloton nuclear bomb.
    (Minus the radiation, but producing many tons of toxic fumes).
    Minuscule by modern standards, but the kind of thing we used to test back in the early days.

8. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Squabbling American Politicians (probably millionaires to a man or woman) are about to cause huge suffering to their people again, due to their inability to form a concencus...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53702762

Democrats wanting to keep the Economy failing in the run-up to the November Election?
    If Trump could make that accusation stick, it might win him a second term.
    But will the number convinced by that outweigh the number who are (almost literally) sick to death of their President?

Ken Shabby likes this.
  9. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Adele trolled by black racists for having an ethnic hairstyle during (cancelled) Carnival weekend.
    Accused of leeching off other peoples' culture.

The kind of intolerance that only hurts the cause of equality.

Smudger603 likes this.
  10. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Daily Mirror front page headline: Gary Lineker "Why Refugee Is Coming To Live With Me"
    That's good of him.
    Modest of the man to keep so quiet about it too.

Presumably he isn't just going to accept the first one who's available.
    He'll choose one quite carefully I expect.
    However, even if selection criteria does not include whether or not she can cook & clean (among other things), Gary should bear in mind that a refugee is for life, not just for Christmas.

They're people Gary, not pets.

11. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Americans have been told to get ready for a Coronavirus vaccine in November.

My memory is getting terrible. Isn't something else important happening in the US in November? <confused>

Butterfield likes this.
  12. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I'm hearing on the TV news that the Government is going back on its word about accepting IN FULL all recommendations of the Grenfell Inquiry.

But now the Home Office is wriggling off the hook.
    150,000 disabled residents in tower blocks will NOT get personalised escape plans.

Typical dishonesty from those in power - none of whom live in tower blocks.
    Empty words and lies just to keep people quiet while tempers are running hot.
    Disgraceful.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  13. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

I just get the feeling that generslly, the planet has a surplus of politicians. I weary of being lied to - we have enough of that at the Valley.
    The path of saying what the electorate want to hear followed by an organisation of decent and cronyism after lolling day seems to be raised every election. But this crowd are wuite simply lawless. An embarrassment to their party.

lardiman likes this.
  14. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I did not watch Iceland Vs England, as I have almost no interest in International football.

From what I have been able to gather though, the teams took the knee at the beginning of the match - not during the playing of the National Anthems.
    Thus confirming my assertion (made a few weeks back) that organisation of the whole exercise is cosmetic.
    Designed not to cause offence or make people really think about the issue.
    Sidestepping any possible embarrassment.

The main reason that sportsmen taking the knee is so evocative and dramatic and effective as a protest in the USA is that players do it when their National Anthem is being played. This is why it causes controversy. This is why it gets noticed.

If England players are not willing to do the same, or if their gesture is stage-managed to be as inoffensive as possible, the entire point has been missed.

Can anybody who did watch the game confirm that the knee was not taken during the playing of the National Anthems?
    Or correct me if I am wrong.

15. lardiman

Forum Moderator

:emoticon-0104-surpr Call the Police! :police:

'Jerusalem'
    'Land of Hope and Glory'
    'Rule Britannia'

All brutally murdered last night in the Albert Hall :emoticon-0172-mooni

16. The Penguin

The Penguin Well-Known Member

The highlight this year for me was the Aurora Orchestra playing Beethoven's 7th symphony standing up without music. As good as it gets. Second place goes to the Kanneh-Masons' cello and piano recital.

Ken Shabby and Butterfield like this.
  17. lardiman

Forum Moderator

The BBC devoted the first 10 minutes of their breakfast news today to the debate between Trump & Biden last night in the US.
    From what I heard of it, the most crass and immature spat between two candidates for the Presidency there has ever been.

For me, the single most revealing thing about Trump's character is that he regards US servicemen and women who have fallen in battle or been captured by enemy forces as losers.
    This shows he has no concept of honour whatsoever.
    Everything with him is about personal winning and success. Self-sacrifice for the greater good has no value in his eyes.
    He is just about the most insecure politician I know of.

dick plumb likes this.
  18. The Penguin

America is in an awful state. Armed white militia and armed black militia waiting to have a shoot-out, a president who is unlikely to step down if he loses. It's a tinderbox.

19. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

I didn't bother watching last night's debate, but Trump for me continue's to push back the boundaries of acceptability, with the sole goal of keeping himself in power. However, his call to the Proud Boys to 'stand back and stand by', which they have apparently jumped on gleefully as a call to get ready is another step beyond a line he crossed some time ago. Bad days for the US coming, and bad for the world if we get lumbered with another term for the pussy grabbing, White supremacist supporting tax avoider. Be interesting to see how many of the military want to back him after he described those who fell in action as losers.

lardiman likes this.
  20. The Penguin

Trump has to decide if he's a tax-dodger or a lousy businessman.