1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Millwall F.C. vs Leeds United Match Thread

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by DamnedUnited, Sep 26, 2013.

1. DamnedUnited

DamnedUnited Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image
    Millwall F.C. v Leeds United

Saturday September 28th, 2013 - K.O 15:00 - The Den

It's time for not606's favourite fixture! The Mighty Leeds pay a visit to our feline friends at the Den. Always a lively affair that rarely disappoints, it's time to find out which set of fans (the Leeds fans, or the closet Leeds fans) get the bragging rights until the return fixture.

A fixture which feels like it has far more history behind it that it actually does, Leeds have the edge when it comes to previous meetings with 13 wins to Millwall's 11. History is against the visitors here though - Millwall have won 5 of the last 6 times this fixture has been played at the Den, something Leeds will be looking to rectify. The two teams are coming up against each other in very different form. Millwall had an incredibly slow start to the season, but have won their last two and are clawing their way back up the table, while Leeds have suffered 3 defeats in 4 in the league which has seen them move in the opposite direction. You can practically throw form out of the window when these two meet though, anything is possible.

Leeds had the distraction of a Capital One Cup meeting with Newcastle midweek, a game in which the team played well but ultimately succumbed to a 2-0 defeat in the North East. Millwall will have the fresher legs after being relieved of such distraction by a defeat by Nottingham Forrest in the second round. Brian McDermott did start some of the fringe players, but several of those who played will be expecting to start on Saturday. Millwall will have welcomed the break as several players return from injury at just the right time for Steve Lomas, who is probably still feeling some pressure, but nothing like he will have been a fortnight ago. Leeds will doubtlessly be hoping to take advantage of Millwall's shaky defensive record so far this season to hopefully end a run of poor form for their strikers.

Form Guide (Last 5 League Games)

[TABLE="width: 500, align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Team[/TD]
    [TD]Form[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]F[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]A[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]Pts[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Millwall F.C.[/TD]
    [TD]X - X - L - W - W[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]8[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]9[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]8[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Leeds United[/TD]
    [TD]W - L - W - L - L[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]4[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]5[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]6[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Head to Head (Previous League Games)

[TR]
    [TD="align: center"]Team[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]P[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]W[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]D[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]L[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]F[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]A[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]GD[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]Pts[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Leeds[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]28[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]13[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]11[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]39[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]36[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]+3[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]43[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Millwall F.C.[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]28[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]11[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]13[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]36[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]39[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]-3[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]37[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Early Betting Odds (Correct on 26/9/13)

[TR]
    [TD]Millwall Win[/TD]
    [TD]Draw[/TD]
    [TD]Leeds Win[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]11/8[/TD]
    [TD]9/4[/TD]
    [TD]2/1[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Team News

Leeds United

Brian McDermott has his choice of his squad for this one. Byram completed another 60 minutes against Newcastle this week but the manager has said he won't play a role here. El Hadji Diouf was an effective introduction from the bench, and could well be in line for a starting spot. Luke Varney was notable by his absence even on the subs bench midweek, but no reports of an injury have surfaced so far. Matt Smith spoke of his desire to play the Newcastle game, and played the full 90 with a couple of decent chances. Whether McDermott gives him the league start remains to be seen.

Ones to Watch

Ross McCormack - Perpetually head of this list at the minute. Again midweek he was Leeds main creative output.
    El Hadji Diouf - He very well might get a look in in this fixture, and he will want to take control of the midfield.
    Rodolph Austin - Still an absolute workhorse in the middle of the field for Leeds, and still an outside chance of a red card in fixtures such as these.

Millwall F.C.

Steve Lomas still has injury concerns in his squad, but things are getting better. He will be without Steve Morrison, ineligible to play against his parent club. Shane Lowry will be serving the final game of a 3 match suspension, while Jermaine Easter may return to the fold following his recent injury. Millwall's defence has taken another hit after Mark Beevers came off against Charlton last weekend - an injury which might keep him out for some time.

Ones to Watch

Liam Trotter - Trotter is always lively from midfield and looking to get on the ball. He has already got a goal this season and will be looking to add to that.
    Matty Waghorn - With Morrison unavailable Waghorn will look to add to a string of good performances since joining on loan.
    TC & Mighty- This shady looking pair can often be found denying the fact they are Leeds fans on this very board. Expect them to be all over the place shouting from rafters when things are going badly for Leeds, and disappearing off somewhere else if the opposite is true.

Durham's Prediction

Leeds need a win, plain and simple. The mid-week result wasn't too disappointing from my point of view, but the 3 defeats in 4 league games certainly is. We need to start scoring goals again, and fast. I think McDermott will have made this clear to the team, and they won't need much firing up for this fixture anyway. Everyone knows how much pride is at stake. I'm going to say 2-0 Leeds. We'll finally break this thing of only being able to score 1 and kick on from here.

In an unusual move for me, I'm adopting the diamond with wide open arms this week. I think a front line of McCormack and Varney is our best shout of breaking this low scoring run, Ross badly needs to play in his position at the minute. I've never been the one to sing the praises of Diouf but I think he could provide some creative passing that we are missing at the minute. So for that reason alone, the diamond comes back with Diouf behind the front two. Other than that, pretty much a standard back 5, and midfield 3 from me. The obvious change being Peltier in for Byram after reports that Byram won't be playing. As long as we can take control of the midfield and get the ball moving, we'll create chances. We just need to put them in the back of the net. Smith remains a bench option for me, on after 60 minutes if we need something different.

There's a chance this one could be on TV somewhere as well, so links will be provided in due course!

OK, over to the not606 faithful. Let's hear score predictions and what team you think will go out. Who's going? We'll surely teach Millwall about how you bring away support after some less than impressive offerings from them at Elland Road.

2. Infidel

Infidel Well-Known Member

Definately on Aljazeera out here <ok>
    Those Wallies always up there game when we visit them, but i think we could nick it with the odd goal in three :smiley:

3. lifecheshirewhite

I'm going but will be in the Leeds end this time instead of the home end.Don't think many of the Millwall 606 guys are going.Mighty not coming over from Italy,Steve,LFB,Ringo all gone quiet even TC never answered me when I asked him if he was going.I'm very confident of a win here might even have a little bet on it.

4. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

The draw at 9/4 looks a decent bet considering the lack of goals from both sides this year. Wonder whats odds on a ni nil?

5. TC (Lovely Geezer)

TC (Lovely Geezer) Well-Known Member

Sorry mate - My old man had a heart attack yesterday and he's having a pacemaker fitted today - all being well he should be out of harms way by Saturday in which case I will most definately be there <ok>

6. The-Don

The-Don Well-Known Member

hope he's okay mate

7. The-Don

The-Don Well-Known Member

4-1 leeds connolly to score an own goal and get sent off

8. DamnedUnited

DamnedUnited Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that TC, hope all is well <ok>

9. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

These days this is pretty much routine. Hope everything goes well.

I am a bit shocked. Not many wallies even know who their dad is, ;)

10. lifecheshirewhite

sorry to hear that m8,hope he's soon on the mend.some thing are way more important than football.<ok>

11. esteponawhite

esteponawhite Well-Known Member

TC,hope yer old man is OK <ok>

12. JonnyLosAngeles

JonnyLosAngeles Well-Known Member

<laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh>

Serious stuff, a heart attack, but that is funny!

Good that your dad survived it and is being treated, TC! <ok>

13. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Ones to watch TC and Mighty <rofl>

14. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

What?

15. JonnyLosAngeles

JonnyLosAngeles Well-Known Member

Yeah, they are a real spectacle <ok>

16. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

That sucks mate, hope he's better soon <ok>

17. TC (Lovely Geezer)

TC (Lovely Geezer) Well-Known Member

Cheers lads - just been to see him and he's doing ok

18. esteponawhite

esteponawhite Well-Known Member

Good to hear.<ok>

19. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Great to hear it tc

20. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Good news, TC. Hopefully the pacemaker will save him from any further little surprises like that. Had one myself, so know what he feels like.