1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Middlesbrough v Preston North End Riverside Stadium 1/10/2019

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Sep 30, 2019.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image
    v

LAST TIME OUT
    MIDDLESBROUGH 1 SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY 4

PRESTON NORTH END 3 BRISTOL CITY 3

LAST SEASON
    MIDDLESBROUGH 1 PRESTON NORTH END 2

A night time journey on the M6 however this time wandering northwards to Teeside just over 6 months since we ast played here at night winning 2-1 with a late Stockley winner after Ayala had been sent off for the home side..
    The home side now under the stewardship of Jonathon Woodgate have lost their last twonand have not yet started to gel under Woodgate. After Staurday's defeat Twitter warriors were very critical of their manager already under pressure to get results and guess who is next, us, #teamslikepreston could be in for a heavy outing on Tuesday night.
    Transfer wise no big spending this market Dijksteel from Charlton at just under £2 million biggest buy. Looks like produce your own is the way to go for Boro.
    Expect a few changes for us squad rotation personal view would love to see Ginnelly start think this lad is going to be a crowd favourite.
    Finally on a personal note this is the last game that I will pay full price at the gate, it is nearly OLD CODGERS time.

2. themaclad

Match Officials: Middlesbrough Away

Taking charge of Tuesday night’s trip to the Riverside Stadium is a match official we haven’t seen since the opening day of last season.
    The referee will be Darren England, who took charge of our win over Queens Park Rangers at Deepdale in August 2018, when Alan Browne was the match winner.

In 2017/18, his first on the Select Group Two list, Darren took charge of three North End games, our draw at Middlesbrough in August – so he has done this game before - the 2-2 clash with Fulham at Craven Cottage and the 1-1 draw with Aston Villa in February, so the QPR game was his first visit to Deepdale.
    In total so far this season, he officiated in seven games, issuing 11 cautions and no red cards, his last game being the 5-0 home victory for Arsenal against Nottingham Forest at the Emirates Stadium.

This midweek he will be assisted by Philip Dermot and Shaun Hudson, whilst the fourth official will be Seb Stocksbridge.

3. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

Welcome to the 'old codgers' club Maclad. T'aint too bad, except for the dodgy knees. I have been in this club for nearly 8 years now. Hurt my knees playing football and kneeling to tend to peoples' leg ulcers (District Nurse) etc. When we livec in North London, the senior pass covered buses, underground, light and local railway. Mind you, driving in London is a nightmare. As for tonight's game, I expect Boro' will react to last weekend's drubbing and come out fighting. They have an owner who is a true supporter in Mr. Gibson.

themaclad likes this.
  4. themaclad

Middlesbrough 1 Fisher og Preston North End 1 Harrop

Middlesbrough line-up: Randolph, Dijksteel, Ayala (c), Shotton, Fry, Tavernier, Clayton, Assombalonga (Fletcher, 80), M Browne (M Johnson, 80) Howson, McNair. Subs not used: Saville, Wing, Bola, Walker, Pears.

PNE line-up: Rudd, Fisher, Rafferty, Pearson, Bauer, Davies, Harrop (Nugent, 56), Browne (c), Barkhuizen (Potts, 81), Johnson (Gallagher, 81), Maguire. Subs not used: Ripley, Gallagher, Storey, Ginnelly, Ledson, Potts.

Attendance: 17,961 (330 PNE fans)

Referee: Mr D England

Probably just about deserved a point on a cold Teeside night, not the greatest performance against a Boro side who were apparently better than they were on Saturday, they were not exactly great last night but in saying that created more than we did.
    Thought our formation didn't work last night however thanks to some sterling defensive work we just about got away with it.

Boro started better passed the ball better and looked more incisive Tavernier shot straight at Rudd, Assombalonga took too long to make up his mind when really well placed but a cross from Tavernier caused utter chaos hitting the inside of the post and Fisher's head before bouncing to safety.
    Getting towards half time we started to impose ourselves on the game and on the balane of play at the time took the lead, Browne's shot hit the post and Harrop was first to react to score from close range.
    We led for about a minute Tavernier got the better of Rafferty who found McNair he hit the by line fired the ball across the face of the goal Fisher had little chance of clearing it and in it went.

The second half was poor in the early stages Rudd made a good save as both sides struggled to gain a foot hold, Boro looked more likely but we missed the best chance when Johnson scuffed his shot wide from about 8 yards after good work by Barkhuizen.
    Rarely went close after that as the game fizzled out take a point keeps the unbeaten run going as Barnsley arrive on Saturday

Middlesbrough manager Jonathan Woodgate told BBC Tees:

"I thought we deserved to win the game, I thought we played really well.

"It was a step in the right direction after that defeat the other day to Sheffield Wednesday.

"They're a good team, they're unbeaten since August, (this match) was a stepping stone, but I still think we deserved to win the game."

Preston North End boss Alex Neil told BBC Radio Lancashire:

"I think it's probably a fair result. I didn't think there was a lot in the game, I didn't think that either team did enough to win to be honest.

"The biggest disappointment is we didn't hold onto our lead until half-time. Because there wasn't a lot of opportunities in the game, you know it's going to be a tight one, so you have to see that phase out.

"Both teams didn't allow the other team to control the game. It was just a case of who was going to hurt who more."

5. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

Nothing like a dreary night in Middlesborough.

6. themaclad

Indeed