1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Mid season break?????

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by invermeremike, Jun 13, 2019.

1. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

I have just read on BBC that the Premiership will be taking a mid-season break in February and for the life of me it didn't make much sense in their description. Something about a "split" taking place in February but not really much else, although the comment about all the split games being broadcast live made me wonder whether the greedy arm of television is taking control of the sport.

It has been very noticeable here in Canada that cost of carrying live matches has meant a lot of matches (including all the Champions League and Europa League matches from the quarter finals up to the final) have been eliminated from the T.V. schedule and have disappeared up the backside of some pay for view channels. The worst thing about all this is that I pay for the channels that cover all the group stage matches which heralded back at the start of the season for us to enjoy all the Champions League on TSN.

So what is the real reason behind this mid-season break, and does it apply to the Championship, or is it just another way of getting joe public to ante up more funds to watch the sport?

2. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Who will be the first to announce a 'Promotional Tour', to either Asia or the Middle East during this break? Now all that will happen is they will complain they have tpo play the same amount of games in a shorter time frame.

3. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

It’s not a break. Out of the ten games 5 will be played the weekend of the 8th Feb and the remaining 5 games 15th Feb. And all the games will be live on the TV

Effectively they each have a week off over the 2 week where there is a split