1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mick is staying...

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM, Apr 12, 2017.

1. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

That should get the season tickets sales up.....

2. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Yeah I've just seen it Weighty and commented on another thread.

What an arrogant C U N T this bloke is!

3. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Not suprised, I said he wouldn't walk away and ME wasn't going to sack him and pay up the extra year on his contract. Another demonstration of the way in which the Club has been mismanaged.<doh>:cry::emoticon-0121-angry:huh:<grr>:steam:<wah>:eek::oops:

4. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Unbelievable .....I'm staying and you all should be grateful for what I've done, I've taken you from the relegation zone to just outside the relegation zone in four years, I with the help of Marcus have turned your laughing stock of a team into a team not worthy of even a giggle, I keep my mouth shut about Mr Evans lack of investment in the team because he invests a lot of money in my silence on the issue, I've made Mr Evans millions on selling good players and replacing them with free cart horses......how can you have the nerve to moan where's my statue.

5. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

The worst things in his comments are him describing ITFC as 'Them' and that finishing sixth is the target we should be looking to achieve.

Sack them all.

itfcptc and johnnywarksmoustache like this.
  6. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

You couldn't make some of this stuff up Weighty!

7. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Well he certainly isn't going to go anywhere ( and rightly so as Big Al says ) unless Evans pulls the trigger.

I don't think one bad season makes a bad manager to be honest either - okay it's been bloody awful and I'm glad I'm away in Australia from it all however to me this all stemmed from the Murphy decision before transfer deadline day. Like or loathe Mick ( and believe me I can see why many would be the latter ) - his comments do smack of arrogance / ignorance and would rub many up the wrong way. However, you do need to be very thick skinned to run a footy club. I had a go for a while and you don't please everyone. I make no secrets of thinking under a manager like Mick you'll always have a chance. But we'll see.

Up points for next season -
    * Webster should be back * End of the Jonny Williams " savior " - this surely is done * BYE BYE Douglas * BYE BYE Best * Absolutely no chance Mick will allow us to enter a season so short upfront * Very likely to see more youngster in the 18 - Dozzell / Benyu for instance

Negatives -
    * Whoever is in charge ( I will assume it will be Mick ) won't be given the proper financial backing to compete - we'll likely spend the 16th most in the league yet demand a top 6 finish * If Mick remains potentially more HORRIBLE footy to watch * other negative Mick related issues * fans bored of the division * Mick MAY WELL have favourites again and not give certain players ( from our perspective ) a deserved go.

So who knows.

fieldmarshall and Scowey like this.
  8. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Mick needs to realise that he has used up all the good will he earned by keeping 'Them' up and getting 'Them' into the play offs.........that good will has been slow to dissipate but in my opinion it's gone now...........if Mick is gonna start shooting from the hip and telling it like it is then surely the criticism should be purely squared at Evans and his lack of investment(I was gonna say interest but he gets plenty of that year on year) holding him back but then again he pays for Micks silence on the issue.

9. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Even now, Mick seems intent on burning his bridges and annoying supporters. I do feel that some of his comments are being misinterpreted, and some supporters who spit fury at Mick's previous comments come across as sensitive petals, but he strikes me as somebody who does not enjoy his job. Maybe he's saying this now to put the onus on Evans to fire him?

Either way, we need a massive clear out this summer and I'm not confident Mick will oversee all the changes required. Berra, Chambers, Douglas, Skuse, Coke, Bru, and Best should be offloaded (most of their contracts run out this summer). Of the loanees, Williams, Lawrence, and Samuel will be returned, but we should have a good chance of signing Huws and Diagouraga. I'd tie Taylor and Spence down on another year contract, maybe a pay-as-you play type deal for Taylor? I get the impression Pitman will be sold. If a club comes in for a £2m + offer for McGoldrick, we should take it, considering he's injury prone and inconsistent, yet one of the few footballers at the club comfortable with the ball at his feet. The likes of Emmanuel, Kenlock, Dozzell, Bishop, McDonnell, and Morris should be given more opportunities. Then it's a case of retaining Bart, signing an experienced, decent centre-back, signing another midfielder comfortable with the ball at their feet, and then a winger and a striker who provides pace, creativity, and goals.

All this is easier said than done. This overhaul would also require an owner willing to spend a bit of cash to be competitive and a manager who wants to implement an attractive, entertaining style of football. From what we've seen over the past few years, neither of these requirements looks likely. I think we'll get a watered down version of the above.

I'm going to the Newcastle game on Monday, for the wider occasion and the tickets for a tenner scheme, but I'm unsure how many games I'll watch next season if progress hasn't been made. Season ticket sales are low, the atmosphere is one of resigned acknowledgment that the likeliest way we're exiting this division is down, and we have an angry, negative manager with a massive chip on his shoulder backed by one of the most elusive, frugal, and indifferent owners in football.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  10. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

I find myself agreeing with some of what Mick is saying.. He isn't a terrible manager, in fact he has been quite successful with us. He's just a bloody belligerent old fool who hasn't quite grasped that fans are not best pleased with the style of football on offer, not just the results. Finishing 7th last season masked what was a pretty poor season and the communication coming out of the club (including MM) has only pissed people off more than they were already becoming.

As for some of the other quotes.. This did at least give me some cause for optimism: "It can be that you’re with players too long and eventually maybe they need to change and the manager needs to change"

Surely that means a good old clearout in the summer. I would imagine that Berra, Skuse, McGoldrick, Chambers are all players that could do with a new start somewhere else as their dwindling performances for us have allowed our decline over the past 24 months.. The issue is then who can we realistically expect to replace these stalwarts? Hopefully some more signings like Ward and Websters, rather than Best. But we should be in for an interesting (possibly even exciting) summer transfer window

11. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

I hope you're right Scowey and we are financed to able to make realistic bids for some quality players instead of non league failures, the Sky TV commentators at the recent match at Carrot Re got it dead right when they pointed out that " Norwich bring on a sub that cost £ 9M and Ipswich bring on a sub that cost £10,000, how can that be? "
    Personally i cancelled my ST direct debit today and i feel sick as a pig about it, but I will go to away matches and pick the home matches i want to see but i feel a little better knowing that The Spivmaster General won't be getting as much from me as he has been.

12. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Are you on some sort of windup westy?
    ****ing bloke is a cocksucking penis, whos arrogance and self importance is destroying our club!

13. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

He is sticking two fingers up at the fans and some are agreeing with that, frigging unbelievable!

14. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

No - I'm not on the windup Spanish. His record at this level is generally very good - many a play off campaign and won the league twice. This isn't by chance. Sure, this season has been a bloody disaster - that we all know - but no I don't think that he suddenly becomes a Jewell or a Keane.

I maintain the Murphy sale was done not the way Mick would have wanted - he would have wanted someone in first however that hasn't happened.

Also, unfortunately for us many other clubs are spending vast sums of ££££. Wendy just spunked £10 mill on Rhodes in January and are struggling to come top 6. Many a club is spending big / gambling their future and I for one am rather happy that we are not the next Coventry / Blackpool / Pompey. That wouldn't sit pretty with me.

On the other hand, PNE / Barnsley / Brentford and Cardiff have done better than us this season on similar / lesser budgets and certainly in the case of Brentford play the game how I / most of you would love to see played. So clearly we want to / can do better and when you consider this / the horrible way McCarthy plays the game it doesn't really excite / make us want to go to games. I get that. The attendances ( bar tomorrow however that's £10 a ticket ) speak. That said, 14/15 when we were top 6 we attracted 27,000 + vs Charlton when we were second so again people WILL attend under Mick IF we're doing well.

What I DO agree with many on here is the complete breakdown of Mick and the comments he's said more prevalently this season. He's done his usual back the players and keep things internal which I like. I don't want us to be privy at what's happening behind closed doors and the players don't deserve media leaks. It's their place of work. However, like many have said he's sounding like a struggling politician and banging on about the past. For goodness sake man, move forward and you may get a reprieve. Yes, things could be worse but we're a far FAR bigger club than hearing the absolute tripe McCarthy speaks. Some of the comments he makes I find relatively amusing however the contempt he's showing for us as supporters is becoming ridiculous and he's not bigger than this club - no manager will ever be. So Mick, wind your neck in somewhat for now - it's not a time people will have any interest in a lot of what you say.....

Agree Nuggets - a clear out is needed. Certainly Leon Best / Douglas / perhaps Bru and a few others aren't good enough. The loanees will go back. Hopefully no more Jonny Williams as it's just not going to happen for him.

I don't mind us using the loan market again next season if it's ala a Lawrence / bit of class we otherwise cannot finance. If the player is good enough - then no problem with this.

Have to see what the academy products manage to do next season / whether they get the chance and whether they are actually good enough. Connor Hourihane wasn't given a chance and patently is good enough. Liam Trotter I felt was very harshly discarded. Time will tell.

Finally - saleable assets. I can hear people chuckling as the seasons been a shocker - but I'd expect one player at least to move on for a new challenge for a good fee. May have dodged the bullet for now re Webster which would leave -
    * PERHAPS McGoldrick - but he's on a good wage and injury prone. Probably not.
    * Bart would be the obvious one. With the big tv deal last summer we should be able to get upwards of £3 mill for him. All transfers inflated.
    * Dozza. Not worked out properly this season however he's had time to develop and still only 17. Could be a pretty penny.

As for this season, just hurry and be done already we've all had enough. I'd like to see a few of the kids play between now and the season finishing - certainly Wendy H could be a great chance to chuck a few in.

COYB.